AgnusBymaster
Topic Author

Why Does US Perpetuate These Old Names?

Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:08 pm

Could someone explain why there is still an "Allegheny Airlines" and a "PSA" and a "Piedmont" as part of the US Airways system? All three of these carriers are wholly owned subsidiaries of US Airways Group Inc, and are dba as US Airways Express. But, why are these names still in use? Especially "PSA" operating out of Dayton, Ohio. That's an oxymoron if I've ever heard one.

Why can't they just let bygones be bygones? I assume there is some "legalese" involved here?

OzarkD9S

RE: Why Does US Perpetuate These Old Names?

Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:46 am

They don't want upstart carriers using the names of the former carriers that now make up US. By keeping those names as legal entities, someone can't come along and start a new Piedmont, which has sentimental value among long-time travelers. US paid good money to absorb those brands and doesn't want anyone else to profit off them.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

MD88Captain

Tue Aug 13, 2002 1:56 am

Read a Marketing 101 textbook under branding. Those names are useful because they have a recognition factor. People have heard them before. Some customers (or perhaps most) have no idea of the history, yet they are comforted by recognizing the name. No fly-by-night operations for them. "My daddy flew PSA (or Piedmont or Pan Am or whatever)". Name recognition is one of the cornerstones of marketing.

AgnusBymaster
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:51 am

But don't these carriers do business as "US Airways Express?" If so, what's the point?

Squigee

Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:05 am

Usually, they do business as "US Air Express Flt. #0001, Operated by PSA"
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

AMRAAM

Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:27 am

I have fond memories of Piedmont!

Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:30 am

As Squigee said, a flight will be sold to the customer as US Airways Express flight 3***, operated by PSA or Piedmont. Also, in the cabin of the aircraft there is a plaque stating that the flight is operated on behalf of US Airways Express by Piedmont, etc.

~Brett Big thumbs up