Kuba74
Topic Author

Question About SAS Crews

Mon Aug 12, 2002 9:58 pm

As SAS is a joint company of 3 Scandinavian states, I`m wondering if they make the multilingual (international) crews? For example Swedish captain and F/O from Denmark. If yes, what is the official language in the cockpit? English probably, or maybe these languages are so similar that it doesn`t make problem to understand each other?
Can anyone help with that?
Regards
Kuba

SAS-A321

RE: Question About SAS Crews

Mon Aug 12, 2002 11:01 pm

Sometimes you can experience to fly with a crew from Norway or Sweden. SAS is not putting only Swedish crew together or Norwegian or Danish. They just pick from the employee database.

They only use English if they can't understand each others language.
It's Scandinavian

Kuba74
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:27 am

Thanks SAS-A321
Kuba

Econojetter

Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:06 am

From my experience, it seems as though teams (especially the regional flights) are frequently of a single nationality. It would make sense to schedule crew that are based in the same area to work together... and there are also Norway-based Danes, Sweden-based Norwegians etc. Anyway... Swedish, Norwegian and Danish are similar languages. E.g. A Swedish speaker would generally be able to understand quite a lot of Norwegian and slightly less Danish (the Danes have funny numbers).
... and it's cool to have different crew and hear different versions of the Scandinavian languages. E.g. Flying roundtrip from GOT-AMS recently, I experienced: GOT-CPH (Danish), CPH-AMS (Swedish), AMS-CPH (Norwegian) and CPH-GOT (Swedish).

Kuba74
Topic Author

Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:55 pm

Are the SAS crews also based in other cities than Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm?

heisan67

Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:41 pm

SAS has only 3 crew bases:
Oslo, Norway
Stockholm, Sweden
Copenhagen, Denmark

I know that on long haul flights there are always crew from all 3 nations onboard. Crew memebers from all countries are used on all flights, and a 100% Swedish or Norwegian crew is very rare.

There is no "official" language, and it is very seldom that Scandinavians have to use English in order to understand eachother. From my experience from living in all three countries...the Danes seems to have much more difficult understanding a Swede than a Norwegian. Norwegian understands Swedish better than Danish, but I would state that Norwegian is the language that is easiest to understand for everyone....this could be because Norway has been ruled by both Danes and Swedes until it became a state of it own.

I agree that Danes do have a funny way of counting. Their numbers is not easy to understand for both Swedes and Norwegians.

FBU 4EVER!

Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:13 pm

Only OSL,CPH and STO are proper crewbases.There is also a "secondary" crewbase at MMX,but these are Swedes being scheduled out of CPH.

Basically, cockpit and cabin crews are composed from one crewbase only,as this makes sense economically,but very often there will be a mix for some reason or other.I can fly with a Swede or Dane as copilot a couple of times a month.On intercont. flights with 3,occasionally 4,pilots a mix of nationalities is much more likely.Intercont. cabin crew is always mixed.

The official language of SAS Flight Operations is English.All manuals,checklists,phraseology,etc. is done in English."Small talk" and general conversation is performed in one's own Scandinavian language.Often,difficult words or phrases are translated into something more understandable,the resulting language being,unofficially,called "SASperanto".
"Luck and superstition wins all the time"!