jsnww81

DAL Memories/question

Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:16 pm

I know this topic has been addressed in the past, but I'm fascinated with the history of Dallas' Love Field (being from the area) and would love to hear from some of the members who visited the airport before it was replaced by DFW in 1974. What was it like? I have a few specific questions too:

- from glancing over old timetables, it looks as though both American and Braniff had very busy schedules at DAL. Who was busier?

- were the facilities very crowded? They look like they were considered very modern for their day.

- I've heard the main baggage claim hall used a 'shelf' system for incoming luggage. How did this work?

I hope you all can share your memories of DAL with me, as I'm too young to know what it was like. Sorry for bringing up an old topic, and hopefully we can stay out of the Wright Amendment debate.  Smile

sccutler

RE: DAL Memories/question

Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:15 pm

1. Braniff was, I believe, busier than AA, but not by too much; BN's big expansion came after their move to DFW, where they were the only carrier which had its own terminal. BN's terminal space at DAL, at the east end, was very nice from its opening in (IIRC) 1968- big ad campaign ("Have you seen Braniff's new terminal at Dallas Love Field? Hoooo-weee!")

2. AA's terminal space is what is now Southwest country.

3. Facilities were very nice indeed, for the time... still are pretty nice.

4. Braniff (after its new terminal opened) had baggage carousels; no one else did. the baggage claim for others was where WN's is now, but they simply had a baggage cart path behind a wall separating from baggage claim; they'd open a vertical stainless steel door, and bags would be unloaded directly from carts on to the sloped stainless steel "shelf" (as good a description as any); bigger flight was, more "shelves" they'd use (laterally, not vertically). It worked pretty well, but was a bit strained when AA's DC-10's arrived!

5. No need for a Wright Amendment debate; we all know who the partisans are, and we all know that North Texas air travelers pay excessive airfares to support political agendas. The cure, as for all political problems, is to elect representatives whose ethics match our own... we deserve what we get, I guess.

I'd love to tell more, but have to (gasp) work. Later.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

jsnww81

Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:40 pm

Sccutler:

Thanks so much for your reply. Please share more later on if you have the time.

jsnww81

Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:25 am

I'm also curious as to how the main lobby was set up pre-1974, if anyone can fill me in on that. Sorry for the omission.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos