bravo45

Saab 2000 As A F-27 Replacement For PIA

Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:12 pm

Comments please.!
I haven't heard it ever that PIA might be considering any other manufacturer but the Saab impressed me a lot with this new prototype.

MEA-707

RE: Saab 2000 As A F-27 Replacement For PIA

Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:22 am

This "new prototype" is actually a commercial failed plane which is out of production for a few years. The only major operators are in Europe; Swiss, Air Botnia of Finland and Regional of France. Esp. Swiss would be happy to sell a few for a bargain, but I don't think the plane is as well suited to dusty and short airstrips on which the F-27 can operate, and also it would be hard to set up the maintenance for such a rare bird no one else in the region flies (just like the few ATPs in Bangladesh and Indonesia which were quickly disposed off). I guess PIA will pick up some DHC-8s or ATRs in a few years time.
nobody has ever died from hard work, but why take the risk?

IndianGuy

Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:03 am

Hmm. r u sure? I hear its going to be the ATR-42.

-Roy

Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:24 am

Any aircraft is possible.

I think these aircraft will require STOL, in order to take off and deaprt in those airports with short runways near the mountain villages.

bravo45

Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:24 am

MEA-707! It is new to me that Saab wturned out to be a commercial failure. What was the reason? I mean the capabilities of the plane impressed me a lot. I wasn't able to keep track after its certification. Also what will be its drawback on the short strips (the runway required at high level terrain). Sure PIA wants something to fill its needs in the remote regions of high altitude airstips of the northeren areas of Pakistan.
DHC-8 might be the choice as PIA is familiar with it. ATR hmmm..... I don't know.

Indianguy! No I am not sure. I have never heard of PIA showing any tendency or interest towards this. Just a though and it turns out to be a foolish one. ATR is a good plane too.
So far I haven't heard of PIA considering ANY aircraft as a F-27 replacement.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos