Observation Decks At Airports

Sun Aug 18, 2002 12:47 pm

Does your Airport have an Observation Deck for the public to watch aircraft ..... Is it good enough for spotting and photographing aircraft ? What and How much can you see of the airport and do you use it for spotting ?

nzjet100

TBoneCapalbo

RE: Observation Decks At Airports

Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:21 pm

TPA doesn't have an observation deck per se, however the parking garages give excellent views of the entire airport, all the terminals, and all the runways. Plus, TPA officials are typically very spotter friendly as many people are always on the garages watching planes.

MSP still has an observation deck on top of Concourse D. It isn't high enough to view all of the terminals, but it Affords a decent view of 12L/30R.

je89_w
Crew

Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:41 pm

Honolulu USED to have an excellent place for the public--open air etc. Now it's only for ticketed passengers after 9-11.

I'd say Singapore!!!

Leo

Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:50 pm

Amsterdam has a large obervation deck open in day-light hours, giving excellent views on all piers and aprons.

trickijedi

Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:02 pm

OHare doesn't have an observation deck and frankly I doubt that one will ever be built. Consequently, I'm a little irked about it because OHare is a great place to be able to watch plane activity. I quite envy those whose cities that have airports that have one. I, on the other hand, can only wish.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

Paulianer

Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:02 pm

HAM has an excellent observation deck. You can take good picture of nearly most of the aircrafts with a 300mm lens. It's the best photo point for Arrivals on runway 23 and departures as well...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Tobias Rose
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose

If the aircraft takes off from runway 05 you can shot the climbing plane, but depends on the type of plane  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Runway 33 and 15 are ok for bigger planes like 757, 767, A300, A310 and all the heavy stuff from Lufthansa Technik which is based at Hamburg Fuhlsbuttel.

You can also shot taxiing planes or planes at the gate or apron.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose
View Large View Medium

Photo © Tobias Rose

there also good photo points all around the airport. HAM is one of the spotter friendliest airport I've seen.

The admission is EUR 1,50 and opened in summer from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and the rest of the year from 8 a.m. to dusk.

I'm looking forward to your visit  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Greetings
Tobi
Hamburg/Germany/HAM+XFW
Tobias Rose - Hamburg (HAM/EDDH) & (XFW/EDHI) - Canon EOS D60 - ICQ: 235621277 - MSN: Tobias.Rose@gmx.de

Dasa

Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:17 pm

Melbourne has a fairly good free observation deck. These are some examples of photos that can be taken from there:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Prana Mahen
View Large View Medium

Photo © Neville Murphy

Kiwi dave

Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:56 pm

Christchurch has a nice open observation deck.

ILOVEA340

Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:23 pm

ZRH has always and will always have the greatest observation deck. With cheap bus rides to the runway intersection  Smile

BDRules

Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:45 pm

EMA has a quite good observation deck over looking the apron and runway but it is glass fronted so not the best for photos

chepos

Sun Aug 18, 2002 7:48 pm

San Juan has the AeroParque which is excellent for spotting.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Turbotrent

Mon Aug 19, 2002 12:14 am

BRU doesn't have one  Sad We used to have a restaurant called 'Wingtips' from where you could see runway 25R, but now the new A-pier is blocking the view.

Regards,

Tom
Man's flight through life is sustained by the power of his knowledge.

brian_ga

Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:40 am

ATL...we do not have a observation deck, I wish we did.

brian_ga  Sad
Keep looking up, that's the secret to life....Snoopy

LOT767SP-LPA

Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:48 am

WAW has an excellent observation deck, You can see all directions for landings and take-offs. It is open from 7:30 till 20:00, but You can't see military area. I would give 9 points for 10 scale.

Adam T.

Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:52 am

In Charlotte we have one that is actually on the outer perimeter of the airport...away from the Terminal. It was closed for a long time because of 9-11. It's actually pretty good...it's always packed when I go. You can get goodviews and good shots if you have a long lens. mine has 80mm zoom on it and the aircraft are a littel small in the picture to post on Airliners.net
I think that little park by DCA is a GREAT place to spot. With all the security in Washington, D.C. I was shocked at how close the park was to the planes when thye were landing.
Adam  Smile

LJ

Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:10 am

DUS has two obeservation decks, both which are very good.

vincent32

Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:06 am

Albany, NY does have an observation deck. It was built in 1998 along with the new terminal. The observation deck is directly over the center of the main terminal. From it you can see all three concourses and both runways very clearly. It is also a perfect place to watch arriving and departing traffic on Rwy.1.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"If it was cool to be a fool, I'd be the hippest guy around"

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:28 am

DTW doesn't have one right now, they did years ago in the Smith terminal but its long closed.....but supposedly the new Westin at the Mid-Field terminal will have one. It doesn't open until this December.

CcrlR

Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:47 am

The only airport I've been to with a observation deck is MKE. It's north of the airport building and you can see all the runways and some of the terminals too. The only bad thing about it is that sometimes when they come that way they will or won't use 19R. Another thing is that there is this gate that blocks your chance of getting a good shot of one taxiing to 19R.

It's kinda bad that ORD or MDW will never get one but we just have to make do with what we have(access roads, sidewalks and streets).
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:20 am

The LHR spotting gallery is OK, not that big, but reasonable good. The views are excellent though, a full view of 27L is a real treat specially when take-offs are from here.

View from the viewing gallery:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Philipp Brumann

In Arsene we trust!!

trintocan

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:20 am

In Trinidad and Tobago, POS (Piarco) no longer has an observation deck. The old terminal had a Waving Gallery with views over the western ramp but flagpoles made it not so good for photos. The new terminal has no such facility. The locals do hang out and watch planes by the fences alongside the terminal facing the apron but the views are not amenable for photos. Over in TAB the terminal has a waving gallery but it has been closed for the last 2 years. In the old days that was a great place to hang out and watch planes, even take pictures. I took pics of Condor 767-300 and Caledonian DC-10-30 there.

The nearest airport to me now is Cardiff (CWL) - it has an observation deck which features fine-screen mesh but which photos can be taken through if you use a long lens and stand close.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

c72

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:37 am

SJC has a deck also. Pretty good view and good for pics on sunny mornings until about 11am or 12pm.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ben Wang

cloudy

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:42 am

BWI at least used to have one, the last time I was
there was a couple years ago though. There was even allot of exibits and a map of the Washington area airspace, allong with a speaker you could stand by to listen to air-ground communications.

Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:10 am

Well cheers guys !!! I hope that the airports that don't have observation decks will get one or two soon .....My home airport is Auckland International Airport (New Zealand ) and we have two viewing decks one in our international terminal and one in our domestic terminal !!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Stephen Boreham

- This is from the Domestic Viewing Deck ..Close ups of the the Boeing 737s of Air New Zealand and aircraft that taxi pass from international to take off

And there is international viewing deck you can see about 8 gates plus cargo (3gates) and the whole runway and pretty good for photos to ....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Glenn Alderton

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

nzjet100

flynavy

Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:22 am

Since September 11, 2001, the terminal top parking area (directly adjacent to the Hyatt Hotel located within the main terminal) at Orlando International(MCO) has been closed to most vehicles, but security does allow people in these areas. You have a full view of the entire airfield, including all three runways) from Level 11 (if memory serves), where the helipad is located. In addition, there are large windows in the Hyatt Hotel open to the public where excellent views of the third and fourth airside can be seen.

McCoy Rd. also has a parking area where you can get up-close-and-personal with departures and arrivals (18L, R). The area near the Delta Air Logistics building (located near the threshold of runway 17) also has some areas where parking is allowed (usually). From this area you can get amazing views of most of MCO's international traffic, including British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Martinair Holland, among others.

Later,
Chris in Orlando
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Soku39

Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:26 am

I just thought about spotting at DTW in December.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Cleveland has a spectator deck but you can only get to it if you have a ticket with an airline that departs or arrives at terminal B. (after 911 of course).
You get planes 70 feet away taxiing to the runway its a real nice spot.
The Ohio Player

aviasian

Mon Aug 19, 2002 1:43 pm

Bangkok's Don Muang Airport has an observation deck on each side of what used to be a restaurant on Level 3 of Terminal 1. It affords quite a good view of the Northern end of the airport, particularly the ramp between pier 2 and 3.

Photography is possibly in the afternoon, but it is necessary to bring tissue paper to clean the patch of glass you have chosen. Tonnes of finger, hand and face prints on the glass!!!

Singapore Changi Airport has good observation decks looking out onto the central apron of Terminal One and the West Apron of the same terminal. Glass is lightly tinted, usually clean and largely free of warping. Mainly good for morning photography. Terminal Two's observation deck is a disaster for photography . . .

KC Sim
Bangkok

Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:22 pm

I get annoyed with little kids rubbing there fingers across the glass !!!  Pissed

nzjet100

TriStar500

Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:36 pm

I'm not a local there but recently discoverd that...

GVA still has an observation deck on top of the "restaurant" building. You'll find a self-service snack-bar up there, and you can sit down and watch the planes thorugh the glass windows (there is no roof however) for as long as you like. Admission is free.

Much better photo positions are at the runway thresholds though.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

ILOVEA340

Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:51 pm

from the ZRH observation deck: (zoom not required)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Waser

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Waser

View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Kondziela

View Large View Medium

Photo © Florian Kondziela

View Large View Medium

Photo © PixAir

I would say over 50% of the A.Net pictures at ZRH are taken from the deck. the rest are taken from the 10 or so official observation points around the airport.

9V-SPF

Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:34 pm

As it seems, nobody has mentioned FRA so far.
There are two observation decks at Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Unfortunately the one at T2 is closed since 9/11.
If you like to see a great variety of aircraft and airlines, you should try to visit FRA´s terrace.
The fee is currently €3,-

View Large View Medium

Photo © Vasco Garcia

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joe Pries

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Fischer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

dragon-wings

Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:12 am

ISP used to have a place along the fence line of the airport (opposite of the terminal) where you could park your car and you would have a very good veiw of the runways and the terminal. But since 9-11 they have closed this area and have not re-opened it since.  Angry  Sad
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

HAJ_OW

Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:24 am

My homeairport HAJ/Hannover Germany has an observationdeck but it's pretty boring. It's open air, but high above the apron an surrounded by glass :-( There used to by pretty nice views on the southern runway from the airport fence, but they renewed the fence and now it's much too high to have a good view. Spotting in HAJ isn't as much fun as it used to be before 9/11.

The observation decks in ZRH, FRA and AMS are indeed pretty nice. They are always worth a visit.

HAJ_OW

Kiwi dave

Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:07 am

CHC doesn't have any glass on its observation deck and you get good shots from the deck

che

Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:27 am

Cleveland had an excellent spotter deck. Unfortunately it requires going past security so now its for ticked passengers departing from the B concourse only. And thats only the indoor area. The outside part of it will remain forever closed. I miss the days when I go out to the airport and spend time watching planes from the observation deck. And being outside it had pretty good views of most of the airfield and most planes would taxi right past it. Ah the wonderfull days before 9-11...

che

CMK10

Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:20 am

We have one at HPN but its currently closed because of a "security threat" I talked to the terminal supervisor and he thinks that a terrorist could easily put a pipe bomb through the holes in the fence. The holes are about 1 inch wide and long. Oh well, the spotting was good but bad photo-ops
DC-10's Forever
"Traveling light is the only way to fly" - Eric Clapton

b757300

Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:28 am

You gotta be careful of all those spotters with their cameras. They might "shoot" a plane with it. Yeah sure
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

redngold

Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:31 am

KCLE (Cleveland Hopkins International Airport, Cleveland, OH):
The Spectator Deck is at the end of Concourse B which is past the security checkpoint, so you must have a ticket on Southwest Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, or Air Canada (or their regional carriers) to have access to the deck. As far as I can tell, the open-air portion of the deck is closed indefinitely due to the terrorist attacks (the way it was set up, you could have dropped something down to the Southwest ramp with little difficulty.)
The Spectator Deck's enclosed section (the remaining area open to passengers) is enclosed in glass that casts numerous reflections and is pretty scratched up. You can't get the right angle for most shots, anyway. You would have to posess a zoom lens to focus on the actual aircraft rather than window reflections.

KCAK (Akron-Canton Regional Airport, Green, OH):
The Spectator Deck is still open but the open-air section has been closed since any of the current security can remember. You can get an OK view of landing aircraft but it is pretty much obstructed and the viewing angles create optical illusions. It's only an hour away from me and I've only gone once due to the difficulty of viewing there.

KCVG (Cincinnati-Northern Kentucky International Airport, Covington, KY):
I just (like in the last five minutes) got a return e-mail from someone at KCVG who said that their Aircraft Viewing Area has been reopened. While this is *not* in the airport, it is on the ring-road around the east side of the airport and is above the approach end to Runway 9. It is a beautiful viewing area and I might try to go down there again sometime this fall. Of course, it's Delta Delta Delta Delta Comair Delta....

KBKL (Burke Lakefront Airport, Cleveland, OH):
As far as I know the terminal is open, but you don't get any good views, just flashes of airborne small fry. It's almost exclusively small GA anyway.

KCGF (Cuyahoga County Airport, Richmond Heights, OH):
No good viewing locations. Exclusively GA.

cheers,
redngold
Up, up and away!

zrs70

Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:43 am

BOS used to ahve a fantastic one on the 16th floor of the control tower. Was a great view that gave!
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

COPA737

Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:45 am

Well, Tocumen Int. Airport, does'nt have a Observation desk just a bar-restaurant when you can take photos between the glass.. but of course you have to pay for a coke or something..

Photos taken from there:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Felipe Escalona
View Large View Medium

Photo © Felipe Escalona

View Large View Medium

Photo © Felipe Escalona
View Large View Medium

Photo © Felipe Escalona

Regards,

Felipe
Panamá Crece y Copa Airlines crece con Panamá!

ouboy79

Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:51 am

Not my hometown anymore, but will always have a place in my heart, OKC has one in the B concourse prior to security screening -- so anyone can get into it still. Has a really good view of the C & B concourses; it is located just right above Gate B2 which is used by American. Here are some examples on airlines that obviously came from the Obs Deck:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird
View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Abshier

I have a few that I took personally of a Sun Country DC-10 and others...but they aren't good enough for here. :/

soontobepilot

Tue Aug 20, 2002 1:46 pm

SEA used to have one, but it was closed. And beleive it or not, not because of 9/11! It was colsed prior to, with the pre-construction of the new third runway. Although the third runway will be great, the observation deck was better. -soontobepilot

swissgabe

Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:16 pm

KUL / Kuala Lumpur Intl Airport - Sepang (Malaysia)
There is a nice observation deck at KLIA. Its located in at the Departure Level and beyond the entrance for Intl. Departure Pax you can walk to a level located over the Domestic Terminal where you see the bridge crossing the AeroTrain and the International Satellite Terminal is on the left side. Far behind you see the planes arriving and on the Rwy left hand you see planes departing. This is the normal movement procedure at KUL. There are glasses but most the time they are clean and it isn't a problem to take pictures depending on the location of the sun.

Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

sunilgupta

Tue Aug 20, 2002 9:19 pm

The deck at the base of the tower at Dulles (IAD) remains closed  Sad

Sunil

Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:45 am

Once Again Guys Thanks A lot with sharing your information I hope to visit most of your airports sometime !!!

nzjet100

ILS.25L

Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:15 am

Nice to know that there are still airports left with observation desks and good spotters points. Unfortunately nobody tells about how much mm you need to photograph decent pictures and some descriptions of airports do not mention the best period during day to photograph airplanes.
As I am preparing a large trip to some international airports, it would be great to know all those details. Airports included are : SHJ/BKK/SIN/MNL/TYO/PEK/TPE(the city airport). Those details may hopefully to be sent on this forum so that everybody can share this information, otherwise this info can be sent to my personal email.
Regards, Karl

kevin82277

Wed Aug 21, 2002 6:24 am

KCAE, Has a great place to view planes, unfourntaly you have to be a passenger now to get there. But when you go out to the terminal, right in the middle is a spot where you can see all flight arriving and departing.

KBNA does not have a very good place to watch in the terminal, but there is a views area on the other side of the airport that is great for watching aircraft in either direction.

Kevin

Continental

Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:11 am

Come to MSP! There's an observation deck, a few flights of stairs up. It's great, you can see the gates perfectly, and more importantly, a perfect view of 12L/30R. You can also acheive a view almost just as good from the parking garage....

Continental

Android

Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:00 am

Kansai in Osaka Japan has probably the best observation dedicated 5 story building with several observation area and musuems.

http://www.kiac.co.jp/english/hat/hat.htm