godbless

LCC's: Do They Still Use Regular Boarding Passes?

Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:08 pm

I don't know how it is handled with the Low cost airlines in the United States but here in Europe they don't give out any tickets anymore just a combination of numbers and letters which you take to check-in with. But when you have checked in will they hand out boarding passes as known from all other "real" airlines?

Regards,
Max

RE: LCC's: Do They Still Use Regular Boarding Passes?

Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:18 pm

at AirTran, you get a confirmation number when you book. No boarding pass or such. When you get to the airport, still no regular boarding pass, they print them out on reciept paper about 3"(8cm) thick. This saves a boatload of money compared to paper tickets, stamps, and such.

In fact, I have a $50 voucher on them, but I don't get it in the mail, I have to book via their customer care line to take advantage of it.

Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:15 pm

Over at WestJet, in Canada, we also just give out a confirmation number when you book, it's just that little combination of letters and numbers. We usually e-mail it to you, but we can also fax or mail it if you really want. Then when you check it, your boarding pass is just that same little 3" thick receipt paper that lowfareair mentioned. The only place we don't use that, is in YYZ (Toronto) because the airport authority has everyone on the same system. So in Toronto we use regular, normal boarding cards, like every other airline. Except ours don't have the magnetic stripe, so they are entered manually at the boarding gate.

Ndebele

Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:58 am

DBA still hand out "real" boarding passes with British Airways logo.

Ryanair: At Hahn, they hand out plastic boarding passes with a number ("security number") and destination on it, the first passenger at the c/i gets card number 001. Those cards are used again and again. At Prestwick and Bournemouth, Servisair handed out "real" (but manual) boarding passes with Servisair logo.

travatl

Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:21 am

AirTran's Orlando (MCO) is WestJet's Toronto (YYZ)....they also have all carriers on the same system. You can always tell MCO pax...they have the "real airline" boarding pases.

Travis

LJ

Tue Aug 20, 2002 3:19 am

I've received on easyJet both the plastic (LTN) as a printed boarding pass (once in AMS a boarding pass printed on orange paper!) I don't what they do now at AMS as they've a habit of changing things rapidly.

On basiqair you get a printed boarding pass with seat number on it.

Regards
Laurens

spinkid

Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:12 am

jetBlue uses the "receipt" style boarding pass. Sometimes I feel like it's too easy to lose, but then again I worry about losing my boarding pass no matter who I'm flying.

Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:53 am

I wonder if Skylights is why the LCC's that use it have receipts for boarding passes, or if it's just a coincidence(WJ,FL, B6 use both Skylights and receipt BPs. What did NJ use or boarding?)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos