VH-BZF
Topic Author

SIA's Silk Air To Fly In Australia!

Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:36 am

This news clip is from the Ansett in WA website & I think is dated 14 Aug 02.

Singapore Airlines has tonight confirmed it is looking at becoming Australia`s third domestic airline. But the

company says its assessment is still in the early stages. Access to domestic terminal space remains the biggest barrier.
Singapore Airlines says it`s keeping its options open on whether it may become Australia`s third domestic carrier.Speculation is rife in the aviation industry that Singapore is best placed to be the new entrant in the market, filling some of the empty Ansett gateways.

PETER HARBISON, CENTRE FOR ASIA PACIFIC AVIATION: It has - depending on the reports - somewhere between $2-4 billion in cash reserves effectively. It would come into the Australian market, I would presume with some form of Australian investor as well - in other words, as not entirely in its own right.

Singapore Airlines has confirmed to SBS World News it`s in the early stages of assessing the proposition. But it says a fundamental barrier is access to domestic terminals, although a team of contract experts has been in Australia talking to airport owners.The company has noted yesterday`s comments by ACCC Chairman Professor Allan Fels that he doesn`t want the Sydney terminal carved up only between Qantas and Virgin.

The Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation believes it may be just a matter of months before Singapore flies into the Australian domestic market. PETER HARBISON: There is so much compelling financial value in doing it that I just cannot see how anybody would not see just how obvious it is that they need to be here. 15% of Australia`s local air traffic comes off the back of international services.

KEVIN O`CONNOR, DEUTSCHE BANK: So you`ve got Singapore Airlines and other carriers saying "Hey, we are feeding profitable business to Qantas. "Is there enough of that to give us the core - the base - "to start up a small domestic airline in Australia?"
Now, whether or not that in its own right will work, it`s still not obvious it would.

Now I have also heard that Silk Air will be flying in Australia from December/January this/next year? They have contracted a new company called 'IAM' ( Integrated Airline Maintenance) in Melbourne to provide engineering staff, as well as ongoing maintenance support for the grounded Ansett aircraft. I have spoken to people who have had interviews with this company & they say that IAM are very tight lipped about what going to happen!

If SQ can organise enough gate space at Mel, Syd & Bne airports then I wouldn't be surprised to see Silk Air A320's flying east coast routes by year end or early next year!

Cheers - BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

hkgspotter1

RE: SIA's Silk Air To Fly In Australia!

Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:46 am

Very interesting news, does anyone know if Singapore_Air is on holiday  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

travel

Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:49 am

The name "Silk Air' doesnt really suit Australia, but then again it's better than nothing..

hkgspotter1

Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:52 am

...and Virgin Blue does  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

VirginFlyer

Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:59 am

Very odd - that is news clip is now a week old, and I have heard absolutely nothing about it in the news media here, anywhere. Wait, the news clip doesn't mention anything about Silk Air, does it? I take it then, VH-BZF, that the Silk Air bit is from your own sources?

It would be interesting to see what would happen should Silk Air fly in australia. In the weeks after the AN collapse, the though of Silk Air doing domestic Australian routes was one of the first to come to my mind. However, remember they are not a Star Alliance airline (which is, after all, what this is pretty much about - a Star Alliance feeder in Australia). I wonder if this means that Silk Air will become a Star member, maybe just Silk Air Australia, or maybe it will simply be a Singapore Air (and it's partners) partner, and not a Star Airline.

I look forward to hearing more about this as it develops

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

carnoc

Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:01 pm

As what Hkgspotter1 said, it is interesting and I will be very pleased if Singapore Airlines creates another Australia's domestic carrier or uses Silk Air to fly in Australia!

Probably, I will be one of first supporters to them! Actually, that's for sure!

travel

Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:17 pm

I am looking foward to see an Ansett replacement, but I find it a bit hard to see Silk Air doing domestic in Australia.

If this proposed airline is going to be establised I hope they call the airline a name that has something to do with Australia, such as "Air Australia" etc....

Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:28 pm

May be Australian Silk?

Singapore_Air is preparing for school now!  Big grin

Skystar

Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:47 pm

Air Australia  Smile

That was one of the first Virtual Australian Airlines out there  Smile

I don't think we'll have that.

Can't wait for some action, instead of constant hot air  Smile Lets turn that hot air into jetblast!

Cheers,

Justin

9V-SVA

Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:51 pm

Just confirmed that SilkAir will fly to Hyderabad from October. Will ask about SilkAir in Australia.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

tullamarine

Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:54 pm

I think this isn't news, just a regurgitation of the reports from several weeks ago when SQ admitted they were talking about airport access but were still some time off making a decision. I don't believe SQ or Harbison have made any comment since those initial reports.

As far as names are concerned I understand Pacific Star and Australian Star were being considered though until SQ make their mind up one way or another choosing a name is pretty unimportant.

Rumours that BA may again be interested in selling their QF stake may mean SQ could ditch the idea of starting their own carrier and simply buy out the BA stake in QF.
717,721/2,732/3/4/5/7/8/9,742/3/4,752/3,762/3,772/E/W,300,310,319,320/1,332/3,388,DC9,DC10,F28,F100,142,143,E90,CR2,D82/3/4,SF3,ATR

travel

Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:16 pm

Should BA ditch QF, Oneworld would be useless without Qantas..

Marara

Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 pm

Just because BA doesnt own QF doesnt mean QF will leave, QF and BA have some sort of profitsharing deal on the Kangaroo flts. QF have just signed some co-operation ageement with AA as well so i cant see QF leaving OW in a hurry. but then again... with Dixon in the cockpit you never know Big grin

Dixon = New Cheong
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

Marara

Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:26 pm

Silk Air doesnt even fly to australia does it? i know the NT govt is PLEADING with SQ/ML (is it ML or MI) to return to DRW.

btw. Qantas now have the Golden Wing in DRW, all done up in QFclub colours.
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:31 pm

This was posted before, hence I thought SBS News was getting over-confident writing an article like this twice.

Singapore Airlines said that it didn't really want to be associated with a low-cost/quality airline like Virgin Blue. But SilkAir don't really offer PTVs in all classes anyway do they?

Many such reports have come out, and although this one is the latest, I'll believe it when I see it (or maybe some weeks before it).

But a very interesting article
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

travel

Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:36 pm

QF probably will not leave Oneworld even if BA sold it's stake in Qantas, however if SQ bought a stake in QF, I can't see SQ leaving Star Alliance for Oneworld, therefore QF will do the most obvious and join Star Alliance.

Ex_SQer

Wed Aug 21, 2002 5:35 pm

I have been told that SilkAir has no plans to operate domestic flights in Australia.

As for SIN-Australia services, a couple of cities in Oz have approached them about flights but no decision made as yet.

Ryanair!!!

Wed Aug 21, 2002 7:36 pm

Silkair would probably fly to leisure destinations like Cairns and Broome, if it were to start flying to Australia. In fact, SQ used to operate to Cairns not too long ago but dropped it (God knows why... low pax?). But that defeats the airline's "regional" indentity, doesn't it? Especially if the flight to Cairns if about 6hrs away...
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:56 pm

Whatever happens, SilkAir will not use it's planes, I'm nearly 100% sure of that.

SilkAir, a subsidiary of Singapore Airlines Group, announced some weeks ago that they aim to be Asia's largest regional airline. At the moment, they are expanding rapidly and seem to have too few planes to cope with that expansion, let alone run little nice feeder routes for Singapore Airlines in Australia.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

go canada!

Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:56 pm

1)week old gossip
2) qantas wont allow singapore air to buy a stake in it, one Ba wouldnt sell to singapore air, two it would raise competition concerns of having qantas-singapore air-air new zealand in such a close relationship. Frankly i dont understand the auroa around singapore and i dont understand why people on airliners keep on coming up with dreams with singapore airlines and australia.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

travel

Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:28 am

Well the latest rumours are that Qantas is considering establishing a low cost Australian domestic airline..

Marara

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:16 am

Supprise Supprise  Big thumbs up

Qantas pleeeeaaaseeee bring back the flying cockys

Ryanair!!!

Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:21 pm

Frankly i dont understand the auroa around singapore and i dont understand why people on airliners keep on coming up with dreams with singapore airlines and australia

Go Canada,

you need to understand that SQ, being the most profitable airline on earth, has always been very interested in the vast potential of the Aussie market. many reasons...eg: the profitable Kangaroo route, and the amount of Singaporeans flying to/from Australia (heaps of holiday makers and students). Hence, investing in Australia becomes the next natural step for the airline.

With the failure of Ansett, Star Alliance now has a void when domestic Australia is concerned. Of course everyone is looking to SQ as the next possible solution to that problem, since they have always expressed interest in Australia.

It is not surprising that this "Silkair" rumour began because simply put, SQ is the only airline in the immediate region that has the ability do start an airline in Australia if the proper rights were given. Garuda has just returned to profitability, MAS is in the red, so is Thai. So SQ is the obvious choice, don't you think?

With the failure of Ansett and the dismal service standards of QF, the Australians might be clamouring for something new. That came in the form of Virgin Blue. But Virgin Blue remains a low-fare carrier, hence a full fledged airline option is only QF. There is a need for another airline... but who will do it?

There you go... but a clash of cultures might happen with the Aussie and Singapore mentality - don't really mix well judging from the past threads in this forum.

Marara

Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:32 pm

Dont forget EK though.

travel

Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:37 pm

Well said Ryanair........

Marara

Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:10 pm

Yes but the service is very inconsistant. You can have great crews on the flight up and skybags on the way back.

btw has the perry box been given the flick yet? or at least improved?

QANTASpower

Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:14 pm

Marara,

No the box is staying. However more "goodies" are to be found within these days.

QANTASpower

United Airline

Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:23 pm

According to Richard Branson, DJ plans to start service between HKG and SYD with a B 747-400. Also, DJ 'MIGHT' go full service.

Anyway, Branson's a lot of talk!

Smile

aerorobnz

Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:31 pm

Imagine a DJ 744 livery......that's be sweet
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

VirginFlyer

United Airline

Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:37 pm

Oh goodness here we go again!  Nuts

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

go canada!

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:59 pm

qantas already has austrialian airlines, it would make sense to expand it to domestic routes.

What people are forgetting is that a well-established airline with a good name failed in australia, could it be that their simply isnt a market for another australian airline??????

How do people porpose singapore will have a domestic airline in australia and buy a stake in qantas at the same time?????????

Ryanair!!!

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:58 pm

Go Canada,

coming from UK, I am surprised that you seem so taken aback by the relationship of Singapore aviation in the Aussie scene. I was mislead by your nick thinking you were Canadian. Historically, its always been there and looking at the current consumer trends, why can't SQ start a domestic airline in Australia? No one is saying it WILL happen, but no one is disregarding the possibility either.

If you look at the entire Australia, just count the number of flights SQ has into that country and tell me that the airline concerned is not a major player in the Aussie skies. Actually, just the number of flights into Sydney and Melbourne alone ... woah!

Australian Airlines is still essentially a bi-product of QF. Makes no sense to put Australian Airlines to complete with QF on their own turf does it?

There is always a market for several airlines in any country, especially a vast one like the continent down under. Ansett failed because of management problems from their local management and investors (some say SQ, some say NZ). There was no saturation of the aviation industry to speak about.

Before Star Alliance came about, SQ did think about buying a stake in QF as an initial attempt to penetrate the domestic market. But the 25% went to BA instead. Then came Ansett, but we all know what happened.

So Go Canada... the truth is out there. You ask why? The answers are right here...

go canada!

Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:07 am

what i am saying is ryanair is that there are some people who havent got over ansett and are pinning their hopes on star alliance carrier to destroy qantas.th chief exc of virgin blue has been known to say that any star alliance airline in australia wouldnt work and would be a 'disaster'.

There are rumours that Qantas wishes to start up a low-cost airline in australia.It would make sense to extend its low cost operatiosn. I cant understand why you cant see that it would make good business sense? If an new airline is to occur in australia it would take market share away from qantas and virgin blue, therefore it makes perfect sense for qantas to look at ways of keeping its market share, one way of course would be to steal pax from virgin blue.

At the moment, thats a bit difficult, but a low cost airline from qantas would steal pax from virgin blue and would help qantas protect its market share.

Australian airlines would be serving a different market from qantas, it wouldnt be competing against it, besides it wouldt matter too much as long as the qantas groups maintains its revenues.Air canada have done it to protect market share in canada, BA did it in britain to protect itself(it sold go and must now be regretting it), as have bmi british midland with bmibaby, mytravel with mytravel lite and KLM with Buzz.It makes sense to protect yourself.

People who want a low cost product will always want it, they wont pay more money for a full service no matter what that airline offers.

My nationality has nothing to do with australia, for the record im half canadian.

TAA_Airbus

Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:29 am

Prepare for total domination-domination-domination!!!!!!!

Yes, well every airline and rich business men have aspirations to take over the world. This is no different to that.

United Airline

Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:11 am

VirginFlyer,

As I said, Branson is a LOT OF TALKs. But he definitely stated that when he was in Australia last time.

Remember he said that VS might order the B 777-300ER? Where did it go?

-Desmond

travel

Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:06 am

Even if SQ establish an airline in Australia, I cant see this airline destroying Qantas. In no way does this thread mention that Qantas should be crushed. Qantas is a good strong business and good on them but I think everyone;s point here is that establishing a new airline would be giving people more variety which is what Australia needs (variety - I mean is 2 full serviced carriers)

And Virgin Blue's statement that a star alliance airline will not work in Australia, of course they a going to say this. Why would DJ say they welcome a star alliance airline. This is business they a covering their own back which is fair enough.

Should DJ become full serviced which I doubt, THEN it would not make sense to establish a third airline.