Tbird
Topic Author

New Name For Newark--->Liberty Intl

Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:04 am

Greetings:

It was just reported on NBC that Newark Intl's name will be changed to Liberty Intl in memory of 9/11. The official vote on the name change will take place this September by the Port Authority and they said they would approve it. So by the end of September you'll be flying into Liberty Intl.

Regards
Tom

Tom in NO

RE: New Name For Newark--->Liberty Intl

Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:10 am

I heard about it on the radio news this afternoon. I'm in favor of it, not only because of remembering 9/11, but also with the Statue of Liberty close by. There's something about the word "liberty" that denotes freedom, democracy, etc. I daresay, might they change the 3-letter identifier as well (is LIB available?, or something similar).

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

OPNLguy

Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:33 am

LIB is already in use for the Liberty VORTAC, down in North Carolina. FAA could always rename the VORTAC and issue a new identifier for it, and re-issue LIB for EWR, but that might take some time and political pushing.

They might just change the name of the airport, and not the identifier. New Orleans is a good example (and the latest I can recall), since they changed the name honor Louie Armstrong but kept the MSY identifier.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

EGGD

Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:21 am

lol that sounds like something out of GTA hahaha Big grin.

Are they going to rename the whole of Newark, Liberty too?

Hehe  Smokin cool

Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:25 am

Liberty City, NJ, that would be perfect and Liberty City Intl. Airport, lol  Laugh out loud

(From the game Grand Theft Auto 3 for those who don't know)

B747-437B

Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:26 am

LIB is already in use for the Liberty VORTAC, down in North Carolina

Actually, IATA has assigned LIB to Limbunya, NT in Australia.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

STT757

Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:34 am

As Tom mentioned there's already a Liberty State park in Jersey City and Liberty Island, I would have prefered Todd Beamer Intenational but that might have left the other family members of flight 93 feeling left out.

The two other commercial Port Authority airports are named after President John F. Kennedy, and former Mayor Laguardia.

I think this is a great way to honor the Port Authority workers killed and the brave souls who prevented flight 93 from becoming a weapon of mass destruction.

Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

hkgspotter1

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:44 am

It sounds very ....... Patriotic.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:52 am

Hmmm.....I think it is a beautiful idea, but it is also a constant reminder that one of the hijacked airliners took off from Newark. I think it will probably go through anyway....I prefer the name Patriot Field or something like Newark-Patriot's Field International Airport, or something to that effect, but it is a very moving gesture. They don't need to change the code from EWR to something else....they didn't change IAH to BUS after it became Bush-Intercontinental Airport, did they?

ContinentalEWR

Continental

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:56 am

I hope it won't be like, "We'll be making our descent into Liberty Intl' in 10 min". I like, "We'll be landing in Newark Intl' in 5 min!" better!

Continental

B747-437B

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:01 am

I would have prefered Todd Beamer Intenational

You wanna name an airport after a guy whose only connection with aviation was that he died in a plane crash? Get real....
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:02 am

So New York-Newark International Airport will renamed as New York Liberty International Airport?

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:02 am

Hey am for it.........better than the City of San Jose renaming SJC for Norm Minetta!

cedarjet

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:33 am

I don't associate the most congested airport in the US, complete with SOP 50 minute taxiways queues (nor for that matter the events of 11/9/01) with liberty.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

tzMSP

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:44 am

Yeah, IAH remained the same... and some of us native Texans still call it "Houston Intercont" (Houston Intercontinental) because we could really careless about Bush (daddy or son.)

Smile/happy/getting dizzy tzMSP

ual777contrail

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:44 am

that is pretty stupid,always trying to rename things.
leave it as EWR and NEWARK INTERNATIONAL.
next thing you know they'll rename the staue of liberty,empire state building,yankee stadium, man let it go. it is just a constent reminder the day the world stood still.

move on,keep livin and stop renameing everything to honor people.

ual 777 contrail

Tbird
Topic Author

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:48 am

Greetings:

I never thought of "Todd Beamer International" it would be a fitting honor but an upsetting memory. I like Liberty Intl, it really is a perfect fit with the Stature of Liberty just few miles away. 80 years ago people came to America by ship and Lady Liberty was there to greet them. Today they fly and will be greeted at Liberty Intl. The name works on a number of levels, I give it a thumbs up  Big thumbs up

Regards
Tom

AA 777

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:55 am

Even if they rename it people would still call it Newark

AA 777
Matt
CRJ-700 FO

Jsheldon

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:58 am

I agree with UAL777contrail...
Let it go. Yes it was a horrible tragedy (and living less than 30 miles north of NYC, and knowing some who passed on, I know how bad it really was). But renaming Newark would just be a constant reminder... we need to always remember it in our hearts, but not be dragged down constantly and depressed by hearing it over and over again. Just let things be. Thats my opinion anyway.

FrequentFlier

Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:05 pm

It's nice that people are thinking of paying tribute to our nation, but don't you think that Liberty Intl' is an awkward name for an airport? I could see naming an airport after a person (LaGuardia (NY Mayor), Kennedy (President)), so how about Rudy Giuliani/Newark Intl'. I know that he was the NEW YORK mayor, but Newark is really one of NYC's 3 airports.

It's a really nice gesture, though.

goboeing

Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:23 pm

I agree with Frequentflier,
The name Newark Airport is very distinctive. You instantly know where it is...but when you say "I'm flying into Hobby", you really can't tell. Or Mineta, or Lindbergh, or Will Rogers, or Midway even. It's just easier leaving things nameless. Besides, if anyone wants to remember September 11 through a memorial, there's much better ways of doing it than naming an airport "Liberty International."

Nick

prosa

Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:30 pm

I don't agree with the renaming. "Newark International Airport" has been its name for a long time and should remain. There are other things that can be renamed.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

STT757

Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:36 pm

Like I said I like the Todd Beamer name for the airport because he is known as one of the folks who was part of the revolt against the hijakers, also he's (was) a salesperson for Oracle who traveled quite frequently through Newark and is (was) a long time New Jersey resident.

I think his name would represent a heroic symbol as well as an ordinary traveler just going on a business trip.

N766UA

Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:45 pm

It's still a dump.  Smile
This Website Censors Me

IMissPiedmont

Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:53 pm

What a stupid name. I cannot think of any worse. Well, maybe one or two.

I will always use the following: Orange County, Intercontinental and National.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Ironminds

Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:39 pm

I'm against, simply because of convention (also I understand the pols in Newark are kinda pissed).

How about we wait until we beat the sand-nazis and then rename it something like Victory? It would be more upbeat, and a reminder of a win rather than an attack.

ILOVEA340

Thu Aug 22, 2002 3:57 pm

lol what a joke. Do they actualy expect people to say... Yeah I flew in a CO 762 from ZRH-SFO via Liberty international. LMAO  Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

backfire

Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:38 pm

Can't the Americans-in-power think up a more original name than those old cliches "Liberty" and "Patriot" and "Freedom" and "Independence" and...  Insane

IMHO these are the kind of names which Hollywood regularly pulls out of the "Made in the USA" beginner's handbook whenever it feels like waving the Stars and Stripes. They're overused and have acquired something of a cheap tackiness, and shouldn't be considered an adequate memorial to those who lost their lives in September.

DragonRapide

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:07 pm

What is it with so many wanting to name an airport after a person (or in this case renamen it to remember an event)???

9/11 was one of the worst days of aviation because passenger planes were used as weapons. Why name an airport after this beats me.

Then you have all this airports named after persons. Reagon, JFK, Charles de Gaulle, and tens of others. Why???????????????????????? Are the egos that big they wanna name an airport after them? I wopuld not want an airport to be named after me. I think it is a horrible way to be remembered.
I really don't see the use.
Just name it after the city it is in. At least everyone will know where it is.
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam know where it is? No? Mauritius.
And Reagon airport? Somewher in the US but which city???

SafetyDude

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:11 pm

As a native New Yorker, I think that is the BEST idea that has come out of 9/11 memorial plans (next to the 13 foot wall with all the victims names).

Good work NY and NJ  Big thumbs up
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

I LOVE EWR

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:15 pm

I really think the name change would be a good idea. I think the name should be "Newark New Jersey Liberty International Airport."

richardw

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:19 pm

They could re name laguardia 'Giuliani'

Braniff727

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:32 pm

Liberty is what the US is based on. It's why we exist.

I'm sorry that the rest of the world has no pride in their country. This has nothing to do with bashing people from outside the US. Don't take that as intolerant of others, or expecting to be treated like a god when abroad or any other anti-American crap I usually get simply because I'm an American. I don't think America is always right, or that American should do everything it does but I'm not going to let someone who has no clue about my country to tell me that I shouldn't be patriotic because it's "tacky" or old-fashioned or that we've done things in the past that we should be ashamed of. Guess what? Every country has.

Now, to the topic at hand. I think it's fine to call the airport Liberty. Call it Screw Bin Laden Interntational if they want. People will still fly there and they will still know that they are flying to Newark, just like people know that they are flying to DC, or Houston and so on. It's a gesture, that's all.
Climbing

go canada!

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:56 pm

why dont they call it yankee doddle dandy or Dubya airport and be done with it?
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

voodoo

Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:58 pm

Is it April 1st already?
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

FrequentFlier

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:03 pm

Richardw: LaGuardia is already named for a mayor.

I really think that the name "Liberty" would be used better in the context that ILOVEEWR brought up-Newark Liberty International Airport, if at all.

ATL2CDG

Let's Move On...

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:05 pm

This yet another example of how Bush-inspired 'idiot's patriotism' is going to disrupt the very fabric of our civil (I use the word loosely) society. People across the nation have begun to wear flag lapel pins and other symbols of patriotism as if though it makes them a better person. Being a 'patriot' requires much more than just a $2.00 pin; it requires a complete set of core values.

I am a flight attendant and about a month ago, I found a flag pin on the floor of one of my airplanes and in a moment of mental numbness, I placed in on my lanyard from which I hang my various IDs. After about 3 weeks, I came to the realization that I did not want to be a part of this 'new patriotism' as it was contrary to my core beliefs.

Allow me to expand upon this:

First and foremost, I am completely against war of any kind - especially the supposed 'war against terrorism.' How can one war against an inanimate object? War requires active military conflicts between two or more recognized governments. The United States government never officially recognized the Taliban regime as the 'official' government of Afghanistan until AFTER 9/11 and this distinction was necessary for 'war' status. In fact, the hijackers were not official agents of the Taliban, but rather members of a criminal organization. Just a wonderful example of the Bush administration changing things for their benefit. Since these were criminals, and not soldiers, this should be a criminal investigation and apprehension. However, the Bush administraion militarized the entire project - as if the wedding bombing, friendly-firing US Armed Forces are able to complete the task.

Second, I do not support blind ignorance. This is not a war against Arabs, 'sand-nazis,' Muslims or Afghans; this is a conflict against a very small, specific group of ultra-radical Islamists who participated in criminal attacks upon the US. Yet, the vast majority of Americans, from almost all walks of life, have thrown the entirety of the African, Middle Eastern and Southern Asian populations into a single entity of ignorant,criminal heathens who deserve all that they get. Can anyone say 'crusades?' I am a devout Christian, but I truly doubt that our Heavenly Father really supports the complete casting down of the Middle and Far East. It's not our responsibility to judge... Only He has that right. So rather than learning about will soon be the world's largest religion, college students are boycotting a 2-hour course introducing them to Islam. Ignorance allows hate to swell even more.

Third, I am sick of the arrogance, self-importance and self-rightousness displayed by the same people who are wearing the flag pins and so many more. Americans have come to think of themselves as the best people in the world - especially after our civic leaders continue to deluge us with that idea in various speechs. How about simply that we are a 'great country?' Children are starving, people are freezing in the streets, poor people are dying of inadequate health care, drug use is again on the rise and our children are as ignorant as ever. I wouldn't call those traits of the 'world's greatest country.'

Lastly, I am completely disgusted with the attention-mongering media whores who refuse to move on. Commercials from 'survivors' telling people to patronize their company, relatives of victims filing lawsuit after lawsuit, people flying bigger flags at their houses, AMBER alerts, etc etc. Everyone wants to be rich, powerful and important. Why not be a good father/mother and husband/wife? Why must we insist on talking rather than listening? Why must we lift ourselves rather than lifting others?

I know that I sound like a bitter anti-American. In reality, I'm simply concerned about the direction that our country is going and the lack of moderation that our government is exercising in many aspects. There is so much more that I wanted to touch on to better make my point, but this hotel is not exactly the most condusive to write convincingly.

I'd ask that everyone take my remarks in moderation and reflect before calling me every name in the book.

Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

TWFirst

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:07 pm

I disagree with renaming the airport. Every time a terrorist attack happens, are we going to rename a major institution/piece of infrastructure?? Does the Governor of NJ honestly think anyone, even down through the ages, is ever going to be able to forget 9/11?? The skyline of Manhattan, clearly visible from EWR, is a constant reminder. And the name "liberty" is so trite... so cliche... I think the same argument can be used with it as with the "In God We Trust" motto... it doesn't have the same meaning anymore because it's been used so much. It's ubiquitous

BTW, for those above who commented negatively about EWR... have you been there recently? It's by far the best of the 3 NY airports. The new C terminal is great, and the other 2 are currently being renovated as well.

Newark will always be Newark just as Reagan will always be National.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

TWFirst

RE: ATL2CDG

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:15 pm

Was posting while you were posting ATL2CDG... just wanted to say I agree with you. All of a sudden, it seems that if one dare criticizes anything Bush or the military is doing, or if you aren't decked out in some hidious star-spangled outfit (made in China, no doubt), then you're "unpatriotic" or a traitor or something...

It's very dangerous when a country's citizens become nothing more than mindless zombies blindly following the actions of their government. I'm not saying we shouldn't be united against acts of terrorism or that we shouldn't be patriotic... but in my opinion, patriotism doesn't mean putting anti-Arab bumper stickers on your car and wearing flag pins from head to toe.. it means caring enough about your country that you lend your voice to the debate about what direction we need to take and examining whether our government's actions are right or wrong and how we can stop 9/11 from ever happening again.

DIA

Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:08 am

ATL2CDG:

You said, "People across the nation have begun to wear flag lapel pins and other symbols of patriotism as if though it makes them a better person.

Who the hell are you to tell me I think I'm a better person because of a flag pin on my clothing?! That was your first mistake.

"...I am completely against war of any kind - especially the supposed 'war against terrorism.'

You wouldn't have even said that very sentence if it wasn't for all the war veterans that came before you. That was your second ignorant mistake.

"I know that I sound like a bitter anti-American. In reality, I'm simply concerned about the direction that our country is going and the lack of moderation that our government is exercising in many aspects.

Not only do you sound bitter, you also sound like you never took any political science courses, or studied these topics you discuss to any rational degree. You sound like a bleeding heart liberal.

"There is so much more that I wanted to touch on to better make my point..."

It was better that you ended it before digging yourself any deeper. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I do not respect yours. Maybe if you had a few family members die for you, for the ground you're standing on, maybe you'd understand.

"I'd ask that everyone take my remarks in moderation and reflect before calling me every name in the book."

Oh, believe me kid, I'm withholding what I truly want to say to you.

DIA
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

JFKspotter

Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:12 am

The point in starting this thread was simply to inform you people that Newark's name will most likely be changed to Liberty Int'l Airport. Somehow, at one point along the road, it took some weird turn into who we're fighting and why, and how good or bad the government is, and pride in a country, etc. How did that happen? No, wait, Why did that happen?

And who cares about how it "sounds." They're not renaming it so it "sounds" better, they're giving it a new name because of what it MEANS, simple enough.

And as for being reminded every single day of what happened? Well guess what, the Fire Department of New York lost 343 members that day. Look at their trucks, every single one of their Engines, Ladders, Tower Ladders, Rescues, HazMat units, Battalion vehicles, you name it-has some sort of reminder. They think about it every day, just as much as you and me. And that's how it is, because regardless of an airport name, you'll think about it.

Rename it, it's appropriate.

-JFKspotter

ATL2CDG

Example...

Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:48 am

While I usually do not respond to people who feel the need to exact superiority over me, I am quite taken with the entire subject of 9/11 and its effect on American society, so for the purpose of 'discussion,' I will respond to DIA.

Who the hell are you to tell me I think I'm a better person because of a flag pin on my clothing?! That was your first mistake.

I said "people." I did not say you specifically. I did not say your co-worker. I did not say your pastor. I did not say your mayor. I said "people," which is not all inclusive or specific. I feel that I had a right to say that because without me saying a word, I have had passengers on my flights give me a once over and then say "You're the only stewardess [I'm a male] I've seen not wearing a flag. You should be ashamed." Excuse me?! Those people are unrightfully specifically judging me, so I feel that I have a right to make a general comment about an undefined group.

You wouldn't have even said that very sentence if it wasn't for all the war veterans that came before you. That was your second ignorant mistake.

My grandfather and each of his brothers are/were veterans of WW2. They distinguished themselves in battle, as members of the army of occupation and in peacetime activities. While I hold them in high regard for their courage and loyalty, under no circumstances do I support killing - whether combatants or civilians. Heavenly Father is the ONLY judge of who shall die and who shall live and the mere concept of destroying life and land is disgusting to me. Excuse me for supporting life and liberty, not only for Americans but for ALL people.

Not only do you sound bitter, you also sound like you never took any political science courses, or studied these topics you discuss to any rational degree. You sound like a bleeding heart liberal.

Again, I am not bitter, I am simply worried and disheartened and my child to be born in January is going to live in a hate-filled and ignorant world. In fact, I have studied political science, international relations and Western civilization. While I am far from an expert on these subjects, I would think that my tenure as a Congressional Page and my various awards in these fields of academia would grant me with the ability to make both rational and worthwhile arguments in support of my positions.

It was better that you ended it before digging yourself any deeper. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I do not respect yours. Maybe if you had a few family members die for you, for the ground you're standing on, maybe you'd understand.

Oh, believe me kid, I'm withholding what I truly want to say to you.

Oh, I understand fairly well. I have studied the topics involved, I read various journals and government reports, and I observe the world around me. I have lost family, friends and associates to disease, war and violence. I have served my country in working for Congress, the USAF and USN.

Your attitude is exact what frightens me. We have different opinions, so you make specific allegations and assumptions about me and insult me with name-calling and idle threats. What a patriot you are! You say everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you apparently make the argument that if it does not coincide with yours, that it is wrong. I am sorry, but in this discussion, no one is wrong. Our opinions are different and we disagree. Period. Despite our differences, I do respect and understand your opinion. I just wish that you were more openminded and considerate - but differences are what make the world go 'round, eh?

Ignorantia juris neminem excusat.

I LOVE EWR

Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:48 am

One more thing, when you board a flight say in SAN for a flight to Newark, I doubt it will say Liberty International. When I board a flight to go back home the agents/Flight Attendants/pilots always say something different here are the different names I have heard them say about Newark.

Newark
Newark, New Jersey
New York/Newark
New York's Newark Airport
Newark/New York

The point I am trying to say is that people (outside the aviation community)do not know that Newark really serves the NYC market. A few times while at EWR I struck up a converstion with a tourist that questioned why they would fly into Newark to get to New York. I think the new name would give EWR a little more identity and people would understand the airport, it's location, and purpose a little more. They are not going to change the airport code, it will always be EWR, but signage and other things will be changed to make it...

"Newark New Jersey Libery International Airport"

I really like the new name idea, as a matter of fact I am writing a letter to Jim McGreavy (our governor) and the Port Authority to tell to change the name.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Carlos Borda

STT757

Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:27 am

The Mayor of Newark prefers *Newark Liberty International* and so do I, <http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/index.ssf?/base/news-3/1030007437187565.xml

I think it's a great way to honor the memory of those lost on flight 93 and of the 71 Port Authority employees (including 37 PA police officers) killed on 9-11.

Confirmed Deceased Port Authority Staff

Joseph Amatuccio Ozone Park, N.Y.
Officer Christopher C. Amoroso Staten Island, N.Y.
Richard A. Aronow Mahwah, N.J.
Ezra Aviles Commack, N.Y.
Arlene T. Babakitis Secaucus, N.J.
Margaret L. Benson Rockaway, N.J.
Daniel Bergstein Teaneck, N.J.
Edward Calderon Jersey City, N.J.
Lieutenant Robert D. Cirri Nutley, N.J.
Dwight D. Darcy Bronxville, N.Y.
Officer Clinton Davis Massapequa, N.Y.
William F. Fallon Rocky Hill, N.J.
Stephen J. Fiorelli Aberdeen, N.J.
Officer Donald A. Foreman Staten Island, N.Y.
Barry H. Glick Wayne, N.J.
Ken G. Grouzalis Lyndhurst, N.J.
Patrick A. Hoey Middletown, N.J.
Officer Uhuru G. Houston Englewood, N.J.
Officer George G. Howard Hicksville, N.Y.
Officer Stephen Huczko Hampton, N.J.
Deborah H. Kaplan Paramus, N.J.
Frank Lalama Nutley, N.J.
Officer Paul Laszczynski Paramus, N.J.
Officer David P. Lemagne North Bergen, N.J.
Officer John D. Levi Lexington, N.Y.
Executive Director, Neil D. Levin New York, N.Y.
Margaret S. Lewis Elizabeth, N.J.
Officer James F. Lynch Woodbridge, N.J.
Myrna Maldonado Bronx, N.Y.
Captain Kathy Mazza South Farmingdale, N.Y.
Officer Walter A. McNeil East Stroudsberg, PA.
Deborah A. Merrick New York City, NY
Pete Negron Bergenfield, N.J.
Officer James Nelson Clark, N.J.
David Ortiz Nanuet, N.Y.
Officer James W. Parham Jackson Heights, N.Y.
Nancy E. Perez Union City, N.J.
Officer Dominick A. Pezzulo Bronx, N.Y.
Eugene J. Raggio Staten Island, N.Y.
Officer Bruce A. Reynolds Columbia, N.J.
Francis S. Riccardelli Westwood, N.J.
Officer Antonio J. Rodrigues Port Washington, N.Y.
Officer Richard Rodriguez Cliffwood, N.J.
Chief James A. Romito Westwood, N.J.
Kalyan K. Sarkar Westwood, N.J.
Anthony Savas Astoria, N.Y.
Officer Kenneth F. Tietjen Matawan, N.J.
Lisa L. Trerotola Hazlet, N.J.
Officer Michael T. Wholey Westwood, N.J.

Missing Port Authority Staff

Jean A. Andrucki Hoboken, N.J.
James W. Barbella Oceanside, N.Y.
Officer Maurice V. Barry Rutherford, N.J.
Officer Liam Callahan Rockaway, N.J.
Carlos Dacosta Elizabeth, N.J.
Niurka Davila New York, N.Y.
Frank A. De Martini Brooklyn, N.Y.
Officer Gregg J. Froehner Chester, N.J.
Officer Thomas E. Gorman Middlesex, N.J.
Joseph F. Grillo Staten Island, N.Y.
Inspector Anthony P. Infante Jr Chatham, N.J.
Prem N. Jerath Edison, N.J.
Mary S. Jones New York, N.Y.
Officer Paul W. Jurgens Levittown, N.Y.
Douglas G. Karpiloff Mamaroneck, N.Y.
Sergeant Robert M. Kaulfers Kenilworth, N.J.
Officer John J. Lennon Howell, N.J.
Robert H. Lynch Cranford, N.J.
Officer Donald J. McIntyre New City, N.Y.
Director/Supt. of Police Fred V. Morrone Lakewood, N.J.
Officer Joseph M. Navas Paramus, N.J.
Officer Alfonse J. Niedermeyer Manasquan, N.J.
Officer John P. Skala Clifton, N.J.
Edward T. Strauss Edison, N.J.
Officer Walwyn W. Stuart Valley Stream, N.Y.
Officer Nathaniel Webb Jersey City, N.J.

Port Authority Supplemental Employees Lost on September 11, 2001

John Fisher Hoboken, N.J.
Rosa Gonzalez Jersey City, N.J.
Susan Miszkowicz Manhattan, N.Y.
Nancy Muniz Ridgewood (Queens), N.Y.
Pablo Ortiz Staten Island, N.Y.
Judith Reese Kearny, N.J.
Simon Weiser Brooklyn, N.Y
Louie Williams Bronx, N.Y.

Port Authority Retired Employee Lost on September 11, 2001

Edward T. Keane West Caldwell, N.J.

CPH-R

Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:47 am

Kinda funny.. I'll be flying to Newark/Liberty/Dubya/whatever in October, and I'm starting to wonder how many times our reservation will change name Big grin

EGGD

Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:00 am

To be honest, I thought Newark was a pretty good name anyway. oh well  Smile.

La Guardia sounds cool too  Smile

GARUDAROD

Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:16 am

Gee, and I thought this was an Aviation related forum. I didnt know
it had changed into a Poly-sci class. Good, bad, or indifferent, it
shows that people want to remember this tragedy in a way they see
fit. If you dont like it, move to another country. Thats what made
this country what it is. Your opinion does count and you can speak
your mind.
The thought of flying into Newarks' Liberty International Airport will
probably not change people's thinking who are outside the aviation
world. It will still be Newark, with a fitting name to the rememberance
of a national tragedy!!!
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

TWFirst

Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:21 am

Two important bits of info (imo) from STT757's link:

"No matter what the full name becomes, Jim Peters, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said one thing will remain unchanged at the airport: Newark's three-letter designator code, EWR, which shows up on airline tickets and baggage claim tags."

"The airport's new title drew mixed reviews from around the state."

flyboy36y

Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:42 am

About remaming the VORTAC, you would not have to bevause LIB would be an IATA cose. THe FAA code could be KLIB, but I think that is taken.

The official name for the airport will be "Liberty International Airport At Newark". In protest of tios stupidity I will allwats call it Newark. So will most people but not for that reason. I think renaming it is dumb, but renaming it Liberty is even dumber. I think something like "Newark Memorial Airport" would be better.

But changing the name is retarded. Libert sound cliche.

cedarjet

Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:35 am

ATL2CDG you are extraordinary. If all Americans thought the way you do 9/11 wouldn't have happened in the first place. You are a voice of reason whispering in a maelstrom of bullshit. I thought you guys had all been silenced in a country I used to love but have been turned off of by all the horrible aggression levelled at anyone (a) outside America and (b) anyone inside America who doesn't support the "war on foreigners". Keep up the good work.

And I think "Liberty International" is an awful name. May as well call it "We think we're better than the rest of you".
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz