L-1011-500
Topic Author

When Will Aerolineas Return To Lax?

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:10 am

Hello all -

I know that in early 2001, Aerolineas Argentinas (AR) suspended service to LAX, no doubt due to their financial problems that were rampant at the time. Now that they have been seemingly resuscitated and are flying to JFK and MIA as well as within Europe again, when will LAX be added onto the route map again?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Mark Abbott

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

Thanks -

L-1011-500

jgore

RE: When Will Aerolineas Return To Lax?

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:14 am

I don't certainly know.
As far as i know, Aerolineas Argentinas is recovering from its finantial problems, and they just opened up a hub in spain to serve europe's comuter flights.
Based on this recent step they did in europe, i might think that they will return to lax shortly. Don't get me wrong , i'm not sure.
If you want, ask 747SKIPPER, he's a 747 Captain from Aerolineas Argentinas. May be he has further details.

jgore  Smile

United Airline

Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:34 am

Based on what they did in Europe, I think they MIGHT return to LAX shortly. There is a market. But whether or not it is the right time for them to return to LAX is another issue. They are still recovering from their Financial Problems.

lima

Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:36 pm

If you can read Spanish, on www.salvemosaerolineas.com.ar there are a cuople of recent articles where the CEO (Mata) announced plans to return to LAX in 2003.

The flight would be with an intermediate stop to profit from fifth freedom rights. I guess the stop might be Lima, as it was traditionally have been. Let's hope.

argento

Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:59 am

I do not have any notice here in Buenos Aires.
For many years the route was EZE-LIM-MEX-LAX with the only Aerolineas 747-SP,back in the 80s.
In late 90s the route was non-stop with the A340-200.
I think it is not the first stop to reopen,but it is an excellent west coast destination and Asian connection.

planeguy

Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:28 am

Aerolineas? I'm waiting for Southern Winds to come over here.

MAH4546

Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:33 am

Aerolineas Argentinas cannot add service to the US now that they are a category II country. This has put daily service to JFK and MIA, which was to begin in two weeks, on hold. It has also put on hold M80 service from Miami to points in the Caribbean, Mexico, and Canada, as well as plans to return to LAX. Because they fly wet-leased 767-300ERs from Air Atlanta, Southern Winds can add US service, as they did last week with the launch of COR-EZE-MIA. However, thier two 763s are busy flying to Miami and, starting next week, Madrid. They need more planes before they go on with expansion plans, which include Cordoba-Miami/Madrid, as well as Buenos Aires-LAX/JFK. And of course, before any of that, they need to hope thier recently launched MIA and soon-to-be-launched MAD service does well.
a.

Jj

Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:00 am

I never understood why we were put in Cat 2. It was more than a safety measure, a political one.

However, the FAA recently evaluated Aerolinea's maintenance hangars in EZE, and approved them to do up to D checks if I'm not mistaken. So why shouldn't they allow AR to fly to LAX, when they're sure the maintenance is good? Interestingly, AR has just added another frequency to JFK!

Who understands this?.... I hope we do return to LAX sooner than later.

jj

LatinPlane

Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:47 am

Lan Chile has taken away the market AR left open after they left LAX. AR had flown here since the early 80s (or late70s?) flying in pretty much all of the Argentinian and Peruvian community that now resides in California. The brief resumption of AR's services into LAX between 2000-2001, was not very popular and registered low load-factors due to competition from LAN, which offered better service, daily schedules, and a consistent product (even if it meant an extra stop in SCL).

In my opinion, (and if there is a way out of Category ll for Argentina) AR might want to restart services to LAX flying their old EZE-LIM-MEX-LAX route. Although it's a route with many stops, it would compare with LAN's: LAX-LIM-SCL (stransfer of plane) SCL-EZE. AR would benefit from 5th freedom rights to/from Peru, as those are not hard to get, and add MEX to its route network. The only problem would be trying to get 5th freedom rights on the LAX-MEX sector, which are not so easy to get.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

lanperu

Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:02 am

Actually LatinPlane, there is no change of aircraft.

LatinPlane

Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:01 am

LanPeru:

Really? I'm pretty sure that the passengers have to disembark at SCL in order to clean and prepare the aircraft considering the very long flight.

Smile LatinPlane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Lan_Fanatic

Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:10 am

LatinPlane:

Maybe they have to disembark due to cleaning reasons, but the aircraft is the same (A340-300)