American 767
Topic Author

US Airways Shuttle. How Much Longer?

Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:52 am

How much longer do you think the US Airways Shuttle running in the NorthEast corridor will remain in operation? I'm asking that because it seems now likely that it will dissapear someday, I imagine. I'm saying that because US Airways has recently filed for Chapter XI bankruptcy court protection, meaning they definitely need a restructuring plan, and American Airlines will soon have hourly service between New York, Boston ans Washington DC. I regulary get AAirMail, that's how I know. Those flights will be operated by American Eagle with Embraer aircraft. American Airlines is becoming very strong in La Guardia so they are likely to take over US Airways Shuttle. If US Airways Shuttle dissapears, the Airbus A319's and A320's will be handed over to US Airways mainline.
Remember, Pan Am and Eastern, which were at one time major carriers flying out of New York City, both had a Shuttle service in the NorthEast corridor. That of Eastern was taken over by Donald Trump shortly before being taken over by US Airways, and that of Pan Am was taken over by Delta. All of that happened ten years ago.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

SafetyDude

RE: US Airways Shuttle. How Much Longer?

Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:58 am

I have been on many U.S. Airways Shuttle flights and they are always packed to the max! Often, stand by pax cannot get on. So really, it is a question of how much they make vs. their operating cost. But unless it is closer (leaning to the loosing money side) I think they will continue it. I think that perhaps they might want to cut out beverage service (and snack and the bagels in the morning) to all flights leaving/departing from LGA, as all of those flights are very short and one can live without a cup of soda for half an hour or so. And I bet that that will happen!  Wow!
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Tbird

Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:08 am

Greetings:

I don't think the Shuttle will disappear anytime soon. It's one of US Airway's biggest money makers. AA's service can't compare, ERJ vs. A319. I'm sure AA will do very well with their service but the Northeast corridor can more then support another player.

Regards
Tom

exusair

Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:16 am

AA has always been big in LGA. So they fly a couple of RJ's on one of the busiest air routes in the world. Big deal??????????

The question is will US dispose of the Shuttle to make a few dollars? Sure. When they pry it from their cold dead hands.....

gr8slvrflt

Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:37 am

Often, stand by pax cannot get on.

Do the Shuttles no longer offer guaranteed seating with back-up aircraft? That was the whole basis of the operation at one time.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.