FrequentFlier

US Airways: A Lifeline In The Northeast?

Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:16 am

Obviously, at least in the 48 contiguous states of the US, roads connect pretty much every locale. However, while I was browsing US Airways' timetable earlier, I noticed that, especially in the northeast, quite a few small towns are served by US Airways or its regional affiliates that are served by no one else. Quite a few of these towns have flights to other small towns.

For instance, there is a flight from Bar Harbor, ME to Rockland, ME.

My question is one of two parts.

1) Why does US Airways serve so many small towns in the Northeast with flights to other small towns instead of to hubs.

2) If US Airways discontinues service, who will pick up (or drop) the routes?

prosa

RE: US Airways: A Lifeline In The Northeast?

Sun Aug 25, 2002 12:26 am

Many of those small-town routes get federal subsidies.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

DCA-ROCguy

Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:30 am

Virtually all of those small towns are served by US Airways Express affiliate regional carriers. Should US go under, which I still think likely, those aircraft will be painted in different colors and still serve those communities. The subsidized routes have guaranteed yields, which means they will be virtually assured of service by the regional carrier's new patron.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

haveric

Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:34 am

DCA-ROCguy, when US does eventually go under, don't forget to send me an invitation to your celebration, no doubt to be held in gorgeous, downtown Rochester....

Nothing quite like dancing on someone's grave

AirT85

Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:37 am

Bar Harbor to Rockland is operated by Colgan Airways, along with services to rutland, beckly, bluefield among others. Colgan used to have an agreement with Continental, who, possibly might pick them back up if USAirways went under. Even if US goes under, the services will remain. As said above, they are subsidized. The services in the PA/NY/MD regions by USAirways Express to cities like Reading, Lancaster, State College and the like, are very profitable services and Im sure a major airline (particularly whoever picks up the PHL hub) won't hesitate to keep them.
Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

deltairlines

Sun Aug 25, 2002 7:45 am

The Augusta-Rockland flights all originate or terminate in Boston, which is a focus city for US Airways. For example, one flight might go BOS-RKD-AGU-BOS, while the next flight goes BOS-AGU-RKD-BOS. Another route like this is the BOS-RUT-LEB-RUT-BOS service, where Lebanon is tagged on to the end of the flight.

Jeff

DCA-ROCguy

Sun Aug 25, 2002 8:31 am

DCA-ROCguy, when US does eventually go under, don't forget to send me an invitation to your celebration, no doubt to be held in gorgeous, downtown Rochester....Nothing quite like dancing on someone's grave

How is stating an opinion "dancing on someone's grave?" Good grief.

And yes, downtown Rochester is pretty nice, especially Edwards' restaurant. Also, the Bausch & Lomb tower is very sharp. But my favorite place to eat in downtown Rochester is open 24 hours... Nick Tahou's, home of the Garbage Plate!

Jim

Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos