swissgabe

Saudi Airlines - Question: Transit At RUH-JED

Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:20 pm

I intend to travel on Saudi on JKT-MXP with following routing:
JKT-RUH / RUH-JED / JED-MXP

RUH-JED is a domestic flight, would I need a Visa to join this flight or is it possible to fly on it as a transit pax?

RUH and JED, to they have domestic terminals?

thanks for your help!
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

B747-437B

RE: Saudi Airlines - Question: Transit At RUH-JED

Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:27 pm

I do not believe that such an itinerary is possible even with a Transit Visa. One of the Transit Visa requirements is that you must leave Saudi Arabia NONSTOP on the next flight. You should check with your local Saudi Embassy and obtain their interpretation of the law IN WRITING.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

swissgabe

Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:04 pm

B747-437B
Actually I don't want to stop in Saudi Arabia. I was just wonder if the flight between RUH and JED is departing in the same terminals as the Intl. flights or if they have special Domestic Terminals at RUH and JED where you need to pass immigration.

Txs

khi747

Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:14 pm

I know that at JED SV a separate terminal of its own....im not sure if domestic and international is separate but i would think it is...

sr176

Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:33 pm

I did RUH - JED on SV and JED - ZRH on SR. The SV flight left RUH on the domestic terminal and arrived JED on a domestic terminal. Take care the dom. terminal in JED is so far from the int. terminal that it takes a 15 min taxi ride. It is recommended that you take out the lugage and bring it personally to the int. terminal. Be also prepared for a rude treatment from the SV ground staff.

swissgabe

Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:39 pm

Sr176
Does this mean that I would need a Visa for Saudi Arabia? I don't think it won't be easy to get one and I don't want to pay around CHF 100 just to get a transit Visa or what ever...

qatarairways

Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:41 pm

Swissgabe, I checked the schedules and there is a direct JED-CGK flight (with stop at RUH but you reamin on board the aircraft). So that might make things easier.

WRT to your question there is a domestic terminal in RUH, or at least the domestic passengers pass through a different area. A Transit Visa is difficult to get and there are many restrictions. Like B747-437B said ask the local Saudi Embassy and get everything in writing. Also enquire with the SV office in CGK. I would not reccomend risking it if you can't obtain all required documents.

BTW the MXP flights stop at ATH. So you'd fly CGK-RUH-JED then connect on JED-ATH-MXP.

swissgabe

Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:47 pm

Many thanks to all of you ...

Actually the flight to MXP flies also from RUH, means RUH-JED-MXP-ATH but I would have loved to fly the SV AB6 too  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I think I might change it to JKT-RUH and then RUH-MXP (with stop at JED and ATH). On the 19OCT02 there is only GA out of JKT to JED and no SV.

jrlander

Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:29 pm

Unless you have a family sponsor in Saudi Arabia, don't count on getting a visa. My father works in Riyadh, so I was able to get one. I hear that transit visas are incredibly hard to get, as well. Even if it was possible, I'm not sure that the trouble would be worth it.

swissgabe

Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:44 pm

Jrlander
Thats actually why I would like to choose a flight where I don't need to get a Visa at all...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

qatarairways

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:00 pm

Swissgabe,

Have you considered other airlines like EK or QR?

The777Man

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:05 pm

ANY transfer in Saudi Arabia would need a transit visa. The transit visa is for only transfer through the country, not for a stay for which you would need a regular visa. You CANNOT just connect thru Saudi Arabia. I don't think they'll give you the transit visa if you are non-rev since you then wouldn't have a confrimed onward flight. If you do want to fly SV, I suggest to fly CDG-FCO on their 777 and they do have traffic rights on that sector. Really a very nice airline. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

airafriquedkr

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:18 pm

I'm assuming that you have a Swiss passport. This is what comes up in Timatic:

TIMATIC-2 / 26AUG02 / 1416 UTC
NATIONAL SWITZERLAND /CH/ /TRANSIT SAUDI ARABIA /SA/
|VISA TRANSIT SAUDI ARABIA /SA/
|...... NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ......
|VISA NOT REQUIRED IF:
|- CONTINUING TO A THIRD COUNTRY BY SAME/FIRST CONNECTING
| AIRCRAFT /MAX. CONNECTING TIME FOR DHA, JED AND RUH:
| 12 HOURS/ AND
|- HOLDING CONFIRMED ONWARD RESERVATION AND OTHER DOCUMENTS FOR
| ONWARD DESTINATION AND
|- NOT LEAVING THE TRANSIT LOUNGE.
|IT IS RECOMMENDED ALWAYS TO HOLD A TRANSIT VISA.
|IF HOLDING A TRANSIT VISA, ACCOMMODATION POSSIBLE IN HOTEL BY
|AND ON RESPONSIBILITY OF TRANSPORTING CARRIER UNTIL FIRST
TRANSIT REFUSED IF:
|* NOT COMPLYING WITH REQUIREMENTS REGARDING GENERAL APPEARANCE
| SEE: TIDFT/SA/PA/RE.
|* ONWARD FLIGHT MAKES ANOTHER TRANSIT STOP IN SAUDI ARABIA.
| PASSENGER HAS TO PROCEED ON NON-STOP FLIGHT FOR ABROAD
| WITHOUT MAKING ANOTHER LANDING IN SAUDI ARABIA.
|SCAN COMPLETE

swissgabe

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:27 pm

QatarAirways
Yeah, I did but I would like to try out SV this time and QR maybe next time  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

The777Man
As you can see AirafriqueDKR's posting (thanks btw) you don't need a Visa for a direct transfer, only if you leave the International Transfer hall which would be the case if you take not a direct flight into a third country.

AirafriqueDKR
I would love to have a PC based CRS  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

The only thing I don't understand is the following:
ONWARD FLIGHT MAKES ANOTHER TRANSIT STOP IN SAUDI ARABIA.

I would fly JKT-RUH and would continue the direct flight RUH-MXP which has stops in JED and ATH. Since on my boarding pass they would print RUH-MXP (and not RUH-JED-ATH-MXP) it should be possible to use this connection without a transit visa, don't you think? Anyway, I think I will check with SV here in Europe before I leave/book.

qatarairways

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:28 pm

Thanks for that AirAfriqueDKR

TRANSIT REFUSED IF:
|* NOT COMPLYING WITH REQUIREMENTS REGARDING GENERAL APPEARANCE
| SEE: TIDFT/SA/PA/RE.
|* ONWARD FLIGHT MAKES ANOTHER TRANSIT STOP IN SAUDI ARABIA.

It turns out B747-437B is right. You will not be able to get a transit visa because of the last point.

swissgabe

Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:45 pm

QatarAirways
Right, I will check this with SV anyway but when I arrived in RUH and I will board a plane which stops in JED but I will remain in the plane, well, I don't think that they would care about. But to go sure I will check it anyway...

Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:48 am

SV's flight to MXP is:

RUH-JED-ATH-MXP

So I assume SV's MD90 will depart from International terminal in Riyadh since it's an international flight.

swissgabe

Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:22 pm

Thanks Bigo747, but the problem was actually that I wanted to fly
JKT-RUH / RUH-JED / JED-MXP and the RUH-JED would have been another flight than the one going to MXP but I will fly RUH-MXP without leaving the plane at JED. Will check with SV today if this goes ok...

The777Man

Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:51 pm

Timatic is obviously correct and since it says verys specifically "has to proceed on a nonstop flight for abroad without making another landing in Saudi Arabia" you cannot fly RUH-JED-ATH-MXP. Do check with SV but I pretty sure it won't work. Good Luck!Let us know if it works or not. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

swissgabe

Tue Aug 27, 2002 11:08 pm

Hi 777Man, actually it only says:
IT IS RECOMMENDED ALWAYS TO HOLD A TRANSIT VISA.
But I still will check with them anyway but I don't think they will make troubles if you don't have a visa because you don't even leave the plane. They only could bring you into trouble in JKT but if they see in the ticket RUH-MXP as a connex I don't think they will do anything.

B747-437B

Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:06 am

I don't think they will do anything.

Anyone who flies into Saudi Arabia with the mindset of "I don't think they will do anything" deserves what's coming.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

The777Man

Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:24 am

Hi Swisssgabe! QatarAirways posted the info on transit and it clearly said TRANSIT REFUSED if .... Just what I wrote above. I don't spoil your trip but you seem to think that it's very easy to transit Saudi Arabia or "they won't mind" when Timatic is very specific. I think you are being naive when it comes to entry or transit requirements for countries. The777Man

Flying Belgian

Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:35 am

It's a bit out of topic I admit, but I still wonder: Why does Saudi Arabia make it so difficult to enter its country or even to transit there ???

From a European point of view, I view Saudi Arabia as an unfriendly country compared to UAE or Qatar...!!!

I hope I can get a piece of answer...

Regards,

F.B
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

jrlander

Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:38 am

Flying Belgian:

I'm not a Saudi, but have spent some time in the country and my father does live and work in Riyadh. My feeling while I was there was not that Saudi Arabia was unfriendly. The Saudis that I met were quite hospitable. But the government does like to have some level of control over everything, and keeping people out who did not have a reason to be there is a part of this. Of course, this is the view of an outsider who was there for a while. Are there any Saudis on this board who could add anything to this?

swissgabe

Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:10 pm

The777Man
I think you are being naive when it comes to entry or transit requirements for countries
Nevermind, Saudi Arabia is not the first country I'm in transit nor it is the first Arabic country. As I said I will CHECK with SV anyway so whats the point about naive, and btw, I visited already countries where it is at least as complicated to get visas.

swissgabe

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:04 pm

As per a Saudi Office in Europe they always recommend to go for a transit visa in case the is a cancellation or something like that so you would be able to leave the airport.

The Transit Visas are FREE (?) and if you have a SV Ticket it shouldn't be a problem to get them (thats what SV told me). Well, I don't know but I will try it out and let you know  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

airsicknessbag

Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:52 pm

I just had a look in the OAG, and I noticed that, despite originating at RUH, there are no tickets sold on this flight for RUH-JED. So maybe it is technically considered a nonstop intl flight because after departing RUH the first place where one can leave the a/c is ATH.

Daniel Smile

swissgabe

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:47 am

Airsicknessbag
Thats what I was thinking of first because this flight is not even loaded in the system as a RUH-JED flight and you only have Intl. stopover connex on the flight. If you go to the Saudi webpage and check out the route map and click on MXP or ATH the flight it only shown up to JED and not RUH.
Anyway, I will go for a transit visa since it is FREE anyway, just to go sure about.

Daniel, I just have another question, where do you get your OAG from and which issue, they are quite expensive, aren't they? How much did you pay in EUR?

airsicknessbag

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:58 am

Ya, isn´t it funny - a flight operated by a Saudi airline which goes RUH-JED-ATH-MXP - and for which city pair you can´t by a ticket? Whose first guess would not have been ATH-MXP...

I get the Europe/Africa/Middle East issue from my dad - once the month is over and he doesn´t need it anymore. I can´t really tell you how much it costs, the company pays it. I remember years ago they had printed "16,80" on the back, which was the price in DM - per issue, and they come monthly as you probably know. I´m sure the price it not the same anymore, they must have raised it.
I guess that doesn´t help that much, sorry...

Daniel Smile

danialanwar

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:59 am

OAG online is free (to check timetables) and as complete as the printed version. www.oag.com
Best Business Class: Royal Brunei. Best Economy: Singapore Airlines. First: please send money first!

swissgabe

Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:20 pm

Daniel, thanks anyway  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Danialanwar, I know about the online one but I would love to have a book. I also have a CRS but it's all about a printed version  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cheers