neednewairport

Saw My First "go Around"

Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:33 am

Stopped by SAN this morning on my way to work (it is on the way) and got to experience my first go around! I was thrilled. A typical WN was on its way in, typically rather boring (I hope LH brings their 340's here) anyway, a couple of hundred of feet off the ground, the engines scream, they pull up and wheels retract. I could not stick around long enough to see if they came back, I was shocked and excited all it once. It was amazing, wish I had been on the flight......

hkgspotter1

RE: Saw My First "go Around"

Tue Aug 27, 2002 9:36 am

It is fun to watch, having spotted at Kai Tak for years it became almost normal to see go arounds !!. I even got one on a BA 744 landing on RWY 31, not 13.

aa61hvy

Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:32 pm

my first was an L1011 at dfw then i saw a dc-10 at ewr... aw, the good ole days!
Go big or go home

HAL

Tue Aug 27, 2002 1:37 pm

Another good place is Maui. Not the local interisland flights, but the guys from the mainland - AA, UA, Delta. They're not used to the winds and short runway - it makes for a lot of go-arounds.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

Flyer732

Tue Aug 27, 2002 3:03 pm

They're nothin special. Just a waste of money. It happens.

Pe@rson

Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:28 am

I was aboard an EI 143 routing DUB-BHX when the aircraft went around...
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Tineau

Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:29 am

My icelandair flight jfk-kef made an turnaround at keflavik due to heavy ground fog! It was quite an experience!

737heavy

Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:46 am

I saw a Kuwait 777 do a go around right over my head on Saturday. One minute he's almost on the runway next the engines power up, nose comes up and he's off.

Regards

CcrlR

Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:57 am

I remember when a ATA 757-300 did a go around at MDW. I saw it dip down and it went back up with it's engines on full power.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

janne

Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:26 am

I saw a go around at Son San Juan in Mallorca in May this year. I was standing
beside the runway with my camera to nail a landing 767 when it shortly
before touch down pushed the throttles, pulled the gear up and climbed.
I turned my head and saw that the previous aircraft was a few seconds
from completely leaving the runway at the far end of it. As far as I understand
there was absolutely no danger if the 767 would have landed but I guess
the rules are non-negotiable when it comes to safety. The go around must
have cost quite a lot of money. Still, I think that's the way to handle a
situation like that.

astrojet

Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:38 am

I saw a go arround a few days ago in Ibiza when a Volare A330 came in, in windy conditions, and looks like the pilot couldn´t manage to get this thing down, you know, the soil effect, and when he saw the rwy was getting too short for landing decided to go arround. On the second time he almost touched down before the rwy.

cre

Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:46 am

Two of my last three trips I took this summer had go-arounds: first in July, United Express CRJ landing in MKE from DIA, just a few second from touchdown up we went - traffic on the runway. The other was earlier this month, Chicago Express Saab 340 landing in IND from MDW, never found out reason for it.

boeingholiday

Wed Aug 28, 2002 3:58 am

My go-around experience was quite thrilling, some years ago, when Hapag-Lloyd had their Boeing 737-400... Anyway, back from Corfu to Munich, we approached and I was able to see the airport-buildings, when suddenly the engines screamed, wheels retracted and the airplane pulled up. I've never felt the whole power of such engines, in one way it was great. Some time later, the pilot excused and assured the frightened people that everything was alright and that we would land in a couple of minutes. Cause: Traffic, some stupid pilots from russia didn't listen to the aero-control. My father filmed these incredible scenes. Big grin

Tom in NO

Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:17 am

Been on two go-arounds in my lifetime: a Piedmont 737-300 in CLT, and a United 737-300 at DEN-Stapleton. Seen them many times from the ground during my employ at MSY. Happens more often than people think.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

fsuwxman

Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:24 am

I have seen one, FedEx 1478 (B727) [No, not the same day it crashed, it was months before]
ASOS... Another Shi#y Observation Station

jhooper

Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:49 am

When I was flying into Norfolk a few years ago, we had to make a go-around.

I saw a AA MD-80 go around at DFW because the tower controller was so busy talking he never cleared the flight to land.

A few years ago I had flown into MCO and an guy flew his twin comanche into MCO to meet me and take me to Winter Haven. I later found out that an AA jet had to go around because the twin comanche stayed on the runway too long on his way in to pick me up.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Wed Aug 28, 2002 4:54 am

I have experienced two go-arounds, one summer 1992, a LH flight FRA-AMS, and one last winter, a UA JFK-IAD flight. On UA, the pilot simply announced "lady's and gentlemen, we spotted another aircraft on our runway, so we decided to go around and try again". Oops...

clipperno1

Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:13 am

I've seen several. Most remeberable was some weeks ago when a Kuwait 777 came out of the low, rainy clouds short of the runway, was visible for about 8 sec., gave full throttle and disappeared again. I left then as it was pouring that day.

Take-off abortions are more 'exciting' to watch.
"I really don't know one plane from the other. To me they are just marginal costs with wings."� Alfred Kahn, 1977

kaitakfan

Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:34 am

Saw my first as well as tons of go arounds at Kai Tak. The only time I have been on a flight that did a go around was on the 4th of july this year. Flying into LAX on a United CRJ we executed a go around on short final approach. Supposedly there were some "homie's" launching rather illegal, probably stolen fire works into the approach path. Anyone else hear about this on the 4th out at LAX?

CPH-R

Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:03 am

The only g/a I've ever seen was one of SAS' countless MD's on it's way to rwy 30 at CPH. Varig's 777 had just landed and was apparently crossing the runway too slow, so the poor little MD had to climb out again. It sure did make people turn their heads (I think we were some 10-15 people at Flyvergrillen that day).

Shame on you Varig  Big thumbs up

AWspicious

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:23 am

While spotting one Sunday at YYZ, we saw three go-arounds. A My Travel 330, an American MD 80 series, and a Jazz Dash-8. The A330 was the most awsome of the three, obviously.

aw
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:29 am

I was on a Northwest 747-400 that had to do a go-around in AMS during the early morning hours. Our 747 flew over the North Sea so low that I could see some crewmen of a shipping vessel sailing close to the shore. Amazing site indeed!

speedbird244

Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:50 am

My first witnessed go-around was a KLM DC-10 at GIG. Cause: Lan Chile 707 on runway. It was great! My first on-board go-around was on BA 757 whilst atempting to land at Pisa. I´m not sure about the cause, but I remember quite severe turbulence on finals. The most agonizing go-around I´ve witnessed were the 3 go-arounds a PAL BAC 1-11 had to perform while atempting to land at night at DAO in the Philippines, in a heavy, heavy thunderstorm - with my mother aboard! I couldnt see the plane itself, but i could almost "see" the roar of those RR Speys.
Kai Tak had several go-arounds, but SFO had a whole lot more.

cschleic

Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:46 am

Yes, in May was on a KLM MD-11 approaching SFO that did a go around. We were getting too close to traffic in front. It was tentative at first, slowing down, then engines sped up a bit, then much more power as we pulled away, but wasn't too sharp a climb at all.

archie

Wed Aug 28, 2002 1:23 pm

I have seen several go arounds at MEX. I have seen Taesa, Mexicana, United and AeroMexico airplanes do go around. It is interesting when you know it is not because of an emergency.

Archie.

9V-SVE

Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:40 pm

FS2k2 airports have much more go-arounds because ATC doesn't give out speed restrictions! During one spotting session at Heathrow in an hour I witnessed about four or five go-arounds!  Big thumbs up

CX Flyboy

Wed Aug 28, 2002 6:53 pm

I have only ever had one, and that was when all our radios failed on short finals going into Heathrow without landing clearance, so we went around, turned downwind then our radios came back and we landed no problems. It was a lot to deal with at the end of a long flight, but it had the adreneline pumping!

D120Heavy

Wed Aug 28, 2002 8:53 pm

The first time I ever saw an A-340( Singapore), it was a go around(SFO), about 5-6 years ago.

swissgabe

Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:32 pm

Have seen a Malaysia Airlines B747-400 at KLIA and have been in a BritAir CRJ on CDG-BSL during a heavy snow storm ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

AM744

Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:44 pm

One evening spotting at MEX I got to see three go arounds in a period of two hours. AM MD-80, AM MD-87 and MX A320. The MD-80 is definetely NOT an underpowered a/c, as some members have suggested in other threads. Haven't these people been on one?

HlywdCatft

Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:52 pm

Go arounds were a daily event at DTW before that 4th parallel runway was built. I remember I was spotting at the old Checkpoint 6 at the threshold to Runway 22L before they closed it. This was when they used 22L for takeoffs and landings regularly. A Northwest 744 had just started taking off when another Northwest 744 was coming in, the landing NW 744 suddenly went full power and immediately banked to the west while going up.

Another time near the same location I was driving by the airport when I saw a KLM 743 coming in for a landing, I looked again I didn't see it. The next thing I know is that I see the 743 heading west at a much higher altitude above me, he came back and landed 20 minutes later.

I was working 5 miles north of DTW when I saw an LH A343 go around. It did its go around long before it got to the airport, it was still a couple thousand feet in the air at that time and had just put its gear down when they went back up. The plane didn't have to put too much power on to go back up and it made a low circle to the west as I was able to follow it around till it came back and landed.

I just saw a NW 752 do a go around the other day, it was coming in on 3R and there was a Mesaba S340 in front of it. I was at the south employee lot at DTW and the 757 did its go around a few miles south of DTW.

Speaking of go arounds at SAN...

There used to be a camera that you could watch planes take off and land at SAN and I remember seeing a SW 733 doing a go around on that camera.

Delta15

Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:06 am

Was actually in a go around last monday flying ric-atl on a dl 727. We were just a few feet from the runway, when the plane pulled up, and the captain announced there was another aircraft on the runway.

caetravlr

Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:06 am

I was on one once on a DL L1011 from SFO - ATL. We were almost on the runway when the big Rolls engines wound up and and we climbed out rapidly. I could not believe how fast it went up from being so close to the runway. Same thing happened as in most others, there was someone a little slow getting off of the runway in front of us. Was pretty exciting.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Rick767

Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:41 am

Cx_flyboy,

"all our radios failed on short finals going into Heathrow without landing clearance, so we went around, turned downwind then our radios came back and we landed no problems."

Just a quick query, as I understand it this is not the correct "Radio Communication Failure Procedure" for London Heathrow.

With or without a landing clearance, the instruction is to continue and land "visually, or by means of an appropriate approved final approach aid."

and..

"If not possible (landing) follow the missed approach procedure" to the Epsom or Chiltern NDB (depending on landing runway).

There is then a defined procedure from EPM or CHT to re-establish on the approach and land.

It would appear from your post you did neither of the above. Were ATC not a bit annoyed that you just did your own thing here? Turning downwind into oncoming approaching traffic sounds an extremely hazardous idea to me.. the controller must have been having kittens!?
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

CX Flyboy

Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:16 am

Rick767,

Indeed it was not the correct thing to do. It was back when I was a fairly new second officer on the 747-400, so I didn't have a clue what was going on anyway. It was the end of a long flight and the whole go-around and subsequent procedure was a bit of a balls up. We had a new FO in the right seat that wasn't on the ball either, and no-one seemed to realise that that there was a procedure to follow, not even the London based Captain. So we turned downwind while we tried to get the radios back. It was not safe to land as there was a BA777 vacating 27R ahead of us, and it was marginal as to whether ATC would have cleared us to land or not anyway.
What we should have then done was fly to Chiltern and followed the procedure. It was 06:05 in the morning, just after the curfew so it was very busy and as we turned downwind we saw the whole line-up of lights on approach. The Captain decided that we would just find a gap and turn in after them! Yes, not the safest thing to do. However mid-downwind our radios came back and we got East Midlands tower (!) to transfer us to an approach frequency. In the end they took us down further, vectored us under the 27R traffic for base onto 27L. They never said a word about wrong procedures and seemed calm and collected about the whole thing.
In hindsight we should have known about the procedure, and we should have used the SATCOM to phone the ATC, although in the end we weren't out of contact for more than about 4-5 minutes. Probably one of the more interesting flights I have had!

thomasphoto60

Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:44 am

They are an all too frequent occurrence here at IAH. I am sure when the 5th runway is completed sometime in '03' that some of the 'go-arounds will be alleviated. What is impressive is to see a 747 power up at the last minute. I have personally witnessed BA do this twice as well as KLM doing it once.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

dinker225

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:34 pm

I was on a United flight from San Francisco to Denver last October. I was listening to Channel nine the whole time. I heard the ATC telling incomming aircraft to be aware of microbursts on the end of the runways. Sure enough we were pretty close to the runway and I saw out the window the plane on the Parralell runway go around the we started going back up. It was pretty fun. Got home and there was a story on the news about how almost 50 percent of the planes comming into DIA had to divert to Colorado Springs because of the Wind. I guess I got lucky.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

SESGDL

Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:42 pm

At MSP I've seen quite a few DC-10s, 727s, A320s, and 747s do go-arounds. Nothing special, but exciting the first few times.

Jeremy

Rick767

Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:39 pm

Cx_flyboy,

Sounds like an interesting end to a long flight you had there!! Certainly I would not have landed either with an aircraft still on the runway either. I think it is one of those judgement calls. We have a similar procedure @ Gatwick and my interpretation of "if not possible" would definately include a blocked runway.

I think one of the problems with a loss of communications is that there are so many different procedures in different countries and even at individual airports. Whilst I am familiar with the procedures at my base airport (EGKK), I must say that (whilst we are supposed to) we rarely discuss loss of communications procedures in the briefing for airports we are flying to.

Never happened yet though, my only go-around was @ EGCC a year or so ago due to the preceding aircraft having floated and taken up nearly the whole runway on landing. Knew it wasn't going to happen from about 500' RA, but finally went around at about 220'.
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

CX Flyboy

Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:38 am

Have not flown a go-around myself yet, but my next trip is to Taipei and Seoul, and with that typhoon approaching Korea, it could prove to be interesting!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos