hartsfieldboy

AirTran To Build New Hanger At ATL

Fri Aug 30, 2002 2:32 am

http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/business/delta/0802/29airtran.html

The article also say that AirTran may consider movers their HQ to ATL in about 5-7 years.

gr8slvrflt

RE: AirTran To Build New Hanger At ATL

Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:49 am

I drove down the loop road today; I think it will be located on the grassy area between the Delta/Eastern hangar and the fuel tanks.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

N80NA

Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:58 am

you mean here :

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Zach Gollman

srbmod

Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:32 am

AirTran's been trying to get a hangar @ ATL since back when they were still Valujet. They tried unsuccessfully to get the old Eastern hangar, and when they shutdown after 592, that basically allowed Delta to take it over instead. Delta had been trying to get the lease on it since '91, and got rebuffed quite a bit. The hangar actually sat there, unused for about seven years, except for it being used as the immigration checkpoint for the Olympians and dignitaries during the '96 Summer Olympics. It was once thought that the AirTran hangar would be built over by South Cargo, but I guess that went out the window when the master plan for expansion was finalized. Of course, the hangar may be held up because the project must be funded and approved by the Atlanta City Council, and the city is in the middle of a budget crunch, so they will be hesistant to fork over money. I wonder if they could tap into the funding for the current expansion project in order to fund the hangar. Or maybe AirTran could help finance the hangar by paying slightly higher fees to cover the costs of the project.

hartsfieldboy

Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:47 am

The City of Atlanta may be in a budget crunch, but since ATL makes a nice profit, why would any regular City funds go toward the construction? Remember, per regulations, airport profits must be used only on the airport.

Dalmd88

Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:42 pm

The airport manager said in the AJC the hangar would be funded by airport money. Some of the city council are afraid of getting stuck with the building if something should happen to Airtran. This is just another example of ATL politco's short sightedness. It is quite doubtful Airtran is going away. De Costa also said if that did happen another tenent would be found rather quickly. The building will hold two 717. The last master plan I say had more hangars to be built between the existing south cargo ramp and the new runway.

At one time a plan was floated around to use the Airtran Hangar site for a ASA terminal similar to CVG.

BR715-A1-30

Sun Sep 01, 2002 12:32 am

They shouldn't worry because nothing should happen to AirTran. I know of a certain airline that will be long gone way before AirTran.
Puhdiddle

Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:38 am

Yep, National will be long gone before AirTran.

BR: Don't get cocky. You never know if DL will come up with something that could bring FL down, such AA and yield management. Also, I believe that DL and AirTran are in a 'checks and balances' circumstance right now. One can't do something arrogant/stupid in fear that the other will take advantage of it. It makes both of them compete better.