EurostarVA
Topic Author

Libyan Arab Airlines Airbus Order?

Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:37 am

Hello,

Does anyone know what happened to the LAA Airbus order for A340/ A330s/A320? Last thing I heard was two years ago about an order being placed with the manufacturer, following the lifting of UN travel sanctions against Libya.

Thanks,

EurostarVA
If there is a will, there is a way

hkgspotter1

RE: Libyan Arab Airlines Airbus Order?

Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:45 am

I would guess it was blocked y the yanks, just like the Iran deal and in a way like CI and BR !!

Boeing4ever

Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:11 pm

Blocked by the yanks? Is it just me or do you assume that every Airbus order that's cancelled or delayed is a result of US government action? Could it be that Libyan Arab Airlines may not be able to afford the new jets? Ever think of that? Quite spouting your conpiracy theories and get your head out of the sand!

B4e-Forever New Frontiers

yyz717

Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:18 pm

Even if it is true, the US reserves the right to ban the sale of its commercial products to any rogue nation.

If Airbus feels that it is losing too many orders due to US government bans, they are free to develop aircraft with minimal use of US technology to avoid the sanctions.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

swissgabe

Fri Aug 30, 2002 4:07 pm

Boeing4ever
Libya could afford new jets, Libya is one of the richest country on the African continent with a lot of Oil and a good Industry. Seems that you are talking about something you don't know about.

The fact is that the USA blocked this deal since there is still an U.S. embargo on Libya and Airbus was not allowed to have more than 10 % (can't remember the exact figure) or American built parts in it.

What Libyan Arab Airlines has done was very easy, they just leased Airbuses from Transaer, RJ and other European leasing companies.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

englandair

Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:55 pm

Would Libyan Arab and Iran Air be able to buy used a/c (ie not brand new from Airbus) or lease them from a non US company? If they are able to do these, why don't they?

Cheers!

swissgabe

Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:09 pm

As far as I know Libyan Arab Airlines wants to buy NEW aircrafts. They own a few Airbus A310-300 and they want to replace their old fleet of A310, 727 and F28 with new planes.

As I said, Libyan Arab Airlines is already leasing a few A320. Earlier it was leased from a Irish Company but I think they switched to another one now.

The are also operating a AB6 but I don't know where this is from, most probably leased as well.

lmml 14/32

Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:36 pm

Libyan Arab Airlines (LN) operate a small fleet of B727-200 and old F27's and F28's. The have two B734's on wet lease from Blue Panorama. LN also operates an A300-600 which flies in full LN colours but with a registration of a another country. Not sure about any A310's.

swissgabe

Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:57 pm

I think don't fly the F27 anymore, but maybe for a few small airports in the desert. Do they still operate the 734? I didn't find them in the CRS ... The A313 are flying as per the CRS.

Sat Aug 31, 2002 12:55 am

The 737-400s from Blue Panorama are actually operated by Afriqiyah Airlines, not Libyan Arab.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Martin Hulshoff

From time to time the aircraft are operated by Blue Panorama for Afriqiyah on behalf of Libyan Arab  Smile

Swissgabe, not too sure if it is 10% or 20%. Do you remember when British Caledonian (before going out of business) sold one of their A310s to Libyan Arab, only for the aircraft to be gotten back once the Americans threatened BCal with sanctions and lawsuits? Late 1980s that would have been.

qatarairways

Sat Aug 31, 2002 1:48 am

The Qatari Government A340-200 has been on lease to Afriqiyah on behalf of the Libyan government for a while. It is up for sale.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jorgos Tsambikakis

swissgabe

Sat Aug 31, 2002 3:59 am

No Aviatsiya.ru, never heard of this case but good to "know"  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I remember that I have seen a few LN 734 flying out of TIP but as far as I know they don't lease them at the moment...

Boeing4ever

Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:57 am

Libya could afford new jets, Libya is one of the richest country on the African continent with a lot of Oil and a good Industry. Seems that you are talking about something you don't know about.

Who are you to decide what I know!? Think about what I said. The airline might not be interested in new jets at the moment. It may not be able to afford them or whatever. So stop taking every opportunity to bash the US.

swissgabe

Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:38 pm

Boeing4ever
Well, if you are assuming that the airline doesn't want to get new jets or that they can't afford it you simply don't know what you are talking about and thats not my problem in general.

LN wanted to buy plenty of Airbus aircraft but the reason why they didn't is well known ans has nothing to do that they can't afford it.

If you and your government don't want to be bashed I wouldn't justify that the USA has the right to prohibit Airbus to sell their planes to Libya only due to the reason that the US is the only country which has still an embargo on Libya. It's all about what you talk and what you do ...

The777Man

Sun Sep 01, 2002 11:07 pm

I think France still has an embargo against Libya since they claim libyans are responsible for the UTA DC-10 that blew up over Chad in the late 80's/early 90's. Since Airbus is part French, I think this is what's holding up the deliveries. Not sure about this though. The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

RedAirForce

Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:21 am

Boeing4ever - don't bother arguing with Swissnitwit, he is a big fan of the Libyans; its wrong for the USA to say we won't trade with libya, but its ok for Libya to blow up aircraft to make their point ( oh, i forgot, they really were innocent of all that PanAm 103 stuff : ( .... Really smart logic.

So, don't argue with him, the Swiss are too busy anyway still running all those Al-Queda bank accounts they refuse to shut down. What a great "neutral" country! Ha!

manni

Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:34 am

RedAirForce,

Any source available where you get the information about the Al-Queda Swiss bank accounts? No? What a surprise.  Insane

SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

Udo

Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:41 am

RedAirForce,

Libya's involvement in PanAm is not doubtless proven. There's still the theory that Iran is behind all. Libya is one of the US government's favourite enemies, that's what really counts. Truth is not so important...

Your comments about Switzerland are quite arrogant as well. Time for bombing some of those Swiss terrorist supporters, right?

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

Udo

Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:08 am

Manni,

That's exactly the problem. Sources or proofs is what often misses when the US government and its supporters call for action. If they showed us (and the world) more proofs and sources, there wouldn't be so many misunderstandings.

That's what we also want to see regarding Iraq: proofs that the threat is really big enough for an immediate military strike. The CIA or whatever American secret service claims to have so many proofs…surprisingly no other service backs that. And we know that France and Great Britain has very reliable services…
The whole issue seems to be an attempt by Bush junior to finish what his father failed to do.

Last time evidence was clearly shown on Osama bin Laden, the Taliban and Al-Qaida, the result was a broad alliance and a combined military strike. We could have the same against Iraq, the only little thing which is required is some evidence. Where is it? Powell has promised to show it to the allies, ok, now let’s wait.

Regarding Iran, it’s quite the same. The US have been talking about the evil regime supporting terrorism. Ok, but where is the evidence? And what about Cuba? Bush even declared Cuba to be a terrorist supporting country. I can only laugh about that…
Sorry, but I think the US government often just wants to keep some of its old enemies without having a serious interest in normalizing relations.

Don’t try to call me anti-American. I do always distinguish between the American people and its (often really doubtful) government. There are so many reasons why I like that country, the actions of some presidents cannot change my opinion about the nation as a whole. And if some believe it or not, while smiling at my California Republic flag over my desk, I’m looking extremely forward to my trip to L.A. on Thursday…

Regards
Udo

swissgabe

Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:29 am

RedAirForce
Your comment does look quite smart and I'm pretty sure you could tell me about Iran Air which was shot down.
If you would know what you are talking about you would also know that Swiss Banks blocked more than 20% of the world wide Al-Qaida funds.

Fully agree Manni and Udo!

Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:30 am

Wasn't the Iran Air plane flying in a war zone? And didn't the naval ship try to contact it twice with no response?

The timer that was used to blow up Pan Am 103 was made by a Swiss company: MEBO. The timers were specifically made for Libyan Intelligence. And the same device was used to blow up the French Airliner in 1989. I don't doubt Libya's guilt. But many family members believe that Pan Am 103 involved Iran and Syria as well. And I believe they are right.

And a lot of the US' non-involvement with Libya has to do with the American families of Pan Am 103. They are always putting pressure on every Administration that enters Washington.

--I don't doubt Libya can afford airplanes. They get 12 billion in oil revenues each year. But why would Libya get such big planes as an A-340? How many Libyans can afford to travel overseas? And what does Libya have to offer to bring people in?

Udo

Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:52 am

What about this theory: every 'enemy' of the US was involved in PA 103: Libya, Iran, Syria. Possibly Iraq, North Korea, Sudan and Cuba as well?

Libya is a country of rich, ancient culture. There are many interesting sites to visit and not to forget the Libyan hospitality. I would have many reasons to visit Libya. By the way, for the same reasons would I like to visit Iran and Syria.

Regards
Udo

RayPettit

Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:16 am

To get back to the original question before we get over-involved in Swiss/American/Anyone-else bashing, Libyan Arab were recently using A320's on its London service, operated by Nouvelair, a Tunisian airline.

As ever, the original question tends to be used as an excuse to sound a well worn drum.

R

Boeing4ever

Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:00 pm

Boeing4ever
Well, if you are assuming that the airline doesn't want to get new jets or that they can't afford it you simply don't know what you are talking about and thats not my problem in general.

LN wanted to buy plenty of Airbus aircraft but the reason why they didn't is well known ans has nothing to do that they can't afford it.

If you and your government don't want to be bashed I wouldn't justify that the USA has the right to prohibit Airbus to sell their planes to Libya only due to the reason that the US is the only country which has still an embargo on Libya. It's all about what you talk and what you do ...

Sorry pal, I do know what I'm talking about. All you can do is sit here, bash the US and launch into conspiracy theories. You're credibility is nill. In your mind every cancelled Airbus order is a result of US political action. Don't assume that the EU is some sort of saint...it's very far from that. And I don't justify the US's right to prohibit sales on anything...I never said I did. That shows how you put words into peoples' mouths, further diminishing your credibility. As for the Iranian Airliner, it's well know that was an accident. The communications on that jetliner were busy when the US warship attempted to contact it. So no response was given. The ship assumed that it was therefore an Iranian F-14 coming inbound and fired a missle at it. Go watch the video shot by the ships crewmen, it goes from cheers, to silent horror.

PS---I don't doubt Libya can afford airplanes. They get 12 billion in oil revenues each year. But why would Libya get such big planes as an A-340? How many Libyans can afford to travel overseas? And what does Libya have to offer to bring people in?

Read that statement, but your anti-US bias aside, and think about it.

Mon Sep 02, 2002 1:50 pm

the US has every right to block products made by her companies in her borders from being used by her enemies.

when libya is ready to rejoin the civilized world, the US I'm sure will be more than happy to restart dialogue. until, the US has no interest in doing anything for libya roughly the same goes for iran.

tnnh

ammunition

Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:02 pm

right......... back to the topic.....

Does this mean that all the countries that the USA has placed trade embargos on will opt for airbus once they are able to replace their fleets?
It would make sense, coming from the countries point of view- and bad news for boeing.

Do you think iran air would place an order for airbus once they are able to?

What other countries have the same kind of problem, and in need of a fleet upgrade.

Seems to me as if airbus are going to have a whole load of orders from these middle-eastern, african countries in the future.
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

swissgabe

Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:14 pm

When libya is ready to rejoin the civilized world...???
Who makes the boarder between civilized world???

M.Seles_Fan
Your example with the Swiss watch used for a timer is as stupid as I would say American airlines have been used on Sep. 11. Everyone is able to buy a watch, to buy a timer or what ever, what would you say if they would have used an American timer?

Boeing4ever
If other nations would have made such accident I'm pretty sure your government would have put an embargo on them. If your government does it, well, it was an accident and that's it.

You blame things on Libya where there is NO prove. As it has been pointed out by Udo and others, the USA tried to blame it on nearly every enemy state. It might be possible that a few Libyan National (Individuals) bombed PA and they have been delivered by the Libyan Government.

It's not the question if Libya needs traffic or could fill an A340, it was the question why they are not able to get them. But I'm pretty sure that there would be a lot of traffic. Libya has a very interesting past and a lot of culture, friendly people and an excellent infrastructure for a country put on embargo.

Ammunition
Right, back to the topic  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I'm pretty sure that Iran Air would buy new jets, Boeing or Airbus. I don't know their needs and depending on the U.S. politic against those countries they would buy Airbus.

Udo

Mon Sep 02, 2002 4:47 pm

Swissgabe,

I can only agree!

Regards
Udo

Leo

Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:09 pm

On Sunday 1 September Lybian Arab was supposed to operate TIP-AMS return with a B737-500. We haven't seen any LAA aircraft for a while as flights are continually cancelled.

Yesterday's flight was cancelled as well.

IS LAA Operating??

TS-IOR

Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:23 pm

The UN sanctions on Lybia are no more and traffic from and to this country is fastly increasing.
Before the sanctions,LAA used to operate two A310s which were leased to Air Algerie.Now the airline operates two AB6s on lease from RJ and two A310s.
Its fleet counts also A320s registered in Ireland,and an A320 of Nouvelair Tunisie is leased when it's vacant from the busy Tunisian charter schedule.

Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:35 pm

"Your example with the Swiss watch used for a timer is as stupid as I would say American airlines have been used on Sep. 11. Everyone is able to buy a watch, to buy a timer or what ever, what would you say if they would have used an American timer?"

--LOL. If you read my first post you would have known the timer was specifically made for, and sold to, Libyan Intelligence. And a limited number of these timers were made in the mid-1980s. And the fact it was a made by a Swiss company isn't the point. So, you have again proved to know nothing about this issue.

"You blame things on Libya where there is NO prove. As it has been pointed out by Udo and others, the USA tried to blame it on nearly every enemy state. It might be possible that a few Libyan National (Individuals) bombed PA and they have been delivered by the Libyan Government"

--LOL. There is proof. The man convicted was a Libyan agent. And this bombing COULD NOT have been carried out without the approval from the Libyan leader. And what proof do Udo and others have that the US tried to blame Pan Am 103 on every 'enemy' state? The US has only accused Libya of carrying out the bombing. No action was ever taken against Iran and Syria (which many family members believe they were involved as well.) Cuba, North Korea, etc. Have never even been mentioned in the PAA 103 case. A baseless CONSPIRACY theory. Nice try, boys!

roguetrader

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:25 am

Manni asks:

RedAirForce,

Any source available where you get the information about the Al-Queda Swiss bank accounts? No? What a surprise.

French sources indicate:

Geneva-based Dar al-Maal al-Islami (DMI) -- which until recently was headed by Saudi Prince Mohammed al-Faisal al-Saud -- is accused ... of indirectly helping to finance the terror network [of OBL and others]...
---Agence France Presse August 20, 2002 Tuesday

Canadian sources:

...The money that was to be used to build infrastructure and schools, and create jobs was sent to Swiss banks, used to buy weapons and pay for terrorist armies...
---July 5, 2002 Friday Final Edition Copyright 2002 Toronto Star Newspapers, Ltd.

On the other hand:

The Swiss government was quick to join Washington's War Against Terror declared after 11 September. It froze more than 50m dollars worth of assets in Swiss banks linked to suspected terrorists.
---BBC Worldwide Monitoring, June 27, 2002, Thursday

...Gurule [US Treasury Under Secretary Jimmy Gurule] told reporters he had never experienced a situation where the Swiss government had refused a request for assistance in the fight against terrorism on the basis of banking secrecy laws.
---European Banker June 17, 2002

So, I hope this tells us that the Swiss probably did in the past hold terrorist accounts but are probably trying to stop the practice today.

Now, about Libya: leasing is better than buying anyway and they should be happy they can get away with that.

kind regards,

RogueTrader

swissgabe

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:31 am

M.Seles_Fan
The only think I could take serious in what you said is the "LOL" thing...
If you would have tried to understand us, we don't try to blame things one someone. I rather wouldn't blame something on someone than on the wrong one.

You simply try to blame it on Libya saying the "agent" couldn't have done this without the approval from the Libyan leader (do you know his name?). Wrong, an individual can do what ever they want to do or does this make Libya less civilized than other nations? Or did the stupid guy who blow up the house in Oklahoma City first ask the President if it would be ok. Don't tell me this one.

The only one doing CONSPIRACY are you, I don't try to blame it on someone, YOU do. Cheers

Leo
LN does operate but not to many destinations and as you said not on very regular basis. The best change to see LN flights is in MLA, they operate several times a day to Malta.

Boeing4ever

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:08 pm

If other nations would have made such accident I'm pretty sure your government would have put an embargo on them. If your government does it, well, it was an accident and that's it.

You blame things on Libya where there is NO prove. As it has been pointed out by Udo and others, the USA tried to blame it on nearly every enemy state. It might be possible that a few Libyan National (Individuals) bombed PA and they have been delivered by the Libyan Government.

It's not the question if Libya needs traffic or could fill an A340, it was the question why they are not able to get them. But I'm pretty sure that there would be a lot of traffic. Libya has a very interesting past and a lot of culture, friendly people and an excellent infrastructure for a country put on embargo.

What a crock. The Iran Air incident was just that. An accident. What the terrorists did to Pan Am 103 was a DELIBERATE ATTACK. Sorry pal, try again. And the Libyans have been linked to it. You even said it yourself. And of course, you are trying to put words in my mouth. How typical of you. Did I say in any of my previous posts that Libya was responsible for PanAm 103? Nope. You're simply trying to bash the US. Sad, really sad.

Now, it IS a question if Libya really needs the A340. Not wheather they can get them. As usual you are trying to take every opportunity to bash the US.

swissgabe

Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:14 pm

How was it with putting words into other mouths? I never denied that a Libyan INDIVIDUAL could have done this (COULD) but I doubt that the Libyan Government has been involved in this.

I didn't try to bash the US in this case, I tried that YOU don't bash other nations (in this case Libya).

First of all I don't know if LN could use the A340. If there would be another US politic (embargo etc) Libya would have a big potential to be a leading nation in several industries. An A340 would have been a long or mid term sale and a A320 would make sense to replace the 727 etc. Don't forget that Khalifa (Algeria) operates also A340 but the only difference is that they have plenty of ethnic travel from France to Algeria vv.

Boeing4ever

Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:48 am

I didn't try to bash the US in this case, I tried that YOU don't bash other nations (in this case Libya).

Did I somhow bash Libya by stating that their airline might not want aircraft or can't afford them? The answer my friend is NO.

swissgabe

Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:08 pm

So tell me then why you don't believe that there is a need for new airplanes in Libya and why do you think they can't afford it.

Did you know that the average GDP of Libya is over 10'000 USD a year? For an African nation and compared to other countries (ig Asia) it's a lot of money.

LJ

Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:24 pm

Funny thing is that the two A310's (c/n 295 and 306) Royal Jordanian leases to LAA were previously owned by LAA. LAA first flew the as 5A-DLA/B. later they leased/sold them to Air Algerie and became 7T-VJE/F. Air Algerie/LAA probably sold them to Royal Jordanian and became JY-AGU/V and theose two are currently leased to LAA. I would expect that at a certain point Royal Jordania will sell the JY-AGU/V to LAA to compplete the circle.

KFRG

Sun Sep 08, 2002 1:28 am

""Or did the stupid guy who blow up the house in Oklahoma City first ask the President if it would be ok. Don't tell me this one."

Hey genious, it was an Abortion CLinic, not a house, there's quite a difference between the two.
And second, do you even know what the Iranian Govt. did to try and focus all of the blame for the IranAir A300 on the US? What about the bodies which were deposited by the Iranian Government in the water to make the scene looks twice as horrific?
Also, I notice you need need some work on your Enlgish... it's Proof, not Prove.

-Tom

airsicknessbag

Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:02 am

So the Alfred P. Murrah Building was one giant abortion clinic? Wow I didn´t know that.

Daniel Smile

KFRG

Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:28 am

Excuse me, I stand corrected. I meant to say Federal Building.

Boeing4ever

Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:39 am

So tell me then why you don't believe that there is a need for new airplanes in Libya and why do you think they can't afford it.

Did you know that the average GDP of Libya is over 10'000 USD a year? For an African nation and compared to other countries (ig Asia) it's a lot of money.

Tell me why US based airlines struggle when Americans make over 70,000 a year. That proves nothing. Prove to me why every dropped Airbus order is somehow related to the US gov. Or are you still trying to blame the US?

swissgabe

Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:53 pm

KFRG
So guess you are Mr. Perfect or what. Beside English, do you speak other languages? Would love to see you writing in another language and I wonder if you would make any mistakes.
With your comment, do you want to justify to blow up an Iran Air Airbus? Huh...

Boeing4ever
Read correctly, I didn't say that EVERY dropped Airbus order is somehow related to the US gov. Did I say this? NO!
It is fact that Libya was not able to get new Airbuses because of the US Embargo and don't feel that I only try to blame it on the US, it IS this way and you can't change it.
70'000USD a year, kidding? Where did you learn this? The average GDP in the US is between 30'000-35'000 USD a year.
What you said proofs (thanks to KFRG) that you don't have any idea of Airline business. GDP could say that there is a need of traveling and doesn't say if an airline will be stuggle and it doesn't say a lot of airline strategies.
Think about...

Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:19 pm

B4e, yet again you're posting cr@p.

Ask yourself this: how many airlines are there in the United States? Then ask how many airlines there are in Libya. If there were proportionately as many airlines in the States as there are in Libya, they would be doing very nicely, thank you. Further, the national airline, Libyan Arab, is state owned.

As for the US embargo, you have yet again displayed your stunning lack of knowledge of world affairs coupled with your usual propensity to spout sh1t as if it were gospel. The US bans the sale of new US technology - including avionics and engines - to countries on its blacklist. It's that simple. Of course, they can buy used aircraft (which is what the Iranians do, for example) but they lose out on direct manufacturer support which costs serious money.

B4e, your posts are seriously annoying the considerably more experienced and knowledgeable users of this forum. I strongly advise you to think before you post - and if you don't genuinely know the answer to something, don't post. As the old saying has it: better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it.  Yeah sure  Insane