pressclub

SN Brussels And LOT Members Of AEA

Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:37 pm

Hello guys,

From now on we will get reliable figures from SN Brussels Airlines and from LOT Polish Airlines. Both companies became member today of the Association of European Airlines (AEA).

As you might know, AEA publishes on a montgly base traffic figures from all the members (pax, cargo, occupancy rate, ...).

It will help us all in our discussions here on airliners.net

Pressclub

SN-A330

RE: SN Brussels And LOT Members Of AEA

Mon Sep 02, 2002 10:57 pm

Hi Pressclub,

Thanks for the news !

SNBA is a 'new' airline, so it doesn't surprise me that they wheren't a member of the Association of European Airlines (AEA). What does surprise me is that LOT Polish Airlines wasn't a member before. Does anybody know why?

Regards, SN-A330

I would rather be flying...

Established02

Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:21 pm

> SNBA is a 'new' airline, so it doesn't surprise me that
> they wheren't a member of the Association of European Airlines (AEA).

Also Swiss is a new airline, however they joined AEA already 6 months earlier than SNBA!
I believe that mainly financial reasons explain SNBA's later entry into AEA.

Those monthly AEA reports give an insight to the available capacity, revenue demand, as well as load factor and punctuality of each airline.

However besides the annual AEA report, does the AEA publish any monthly info about the profitability of each airline?

In what way are these AEA reports (other than the punctuality data) useful for airline executives, because consolidated data on ASK, RPK and Load Factor do not indicate much regarding profitability, are they?

By looking (solely) at the monthly AEA data of Sabena for 2001, could one actually foresee that the airline was going down? According to the AEA reports, e.g. Sabena may have had a load factor of about 70% and Lufthansa may have had a load factor of about 70%. However the bottom line was that SN made huge losses, while LH made profits.

I believe that the AEA data do not tell us anything about expenses and income per seat-kilometer. Therefore it remains hard to compare the data of each individual airline.

So I guess the most essential parameter to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of an airline's operations does not lay within its ASK, RPK or load factor, however it lays within the expenses and income per transported seat kilometer. I guess this information remains confidentiel within each airline, although I believe some professional magazines may publish (some of) these data, aren't they?

Thanks for any comments on this issue.

Established02

pressclub

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:18 am

Established,

I hope it's moral that I answer you. AEA publishes since september 11 on a weekly base the figures of the European aviation industry... The year report gives a nice comparable view of the whole industry.

You are right that yield is more important than load factor but load factor gives already an indication. All the other indicators are interesting as well. SN Brussels didn't anounce that they cut capacity past summerseason for example. With the AEA figures you can easily detect that.

Today we have nothing, dont forget that.

aamd11

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:25 am

Are there any other large sized EU carriers in AEA??

SWISS is quite big, but i [for some reason] thought it was more for regional/short haul airlines, such as Eurowings and the like.

is BA or LH or AF in AEA?

regards,
A^A MD-11

Established02

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:38 am

> is BA or LH or AF in AEA?

Yes, they all are.

AEA has about 30 European airline members.

You can find more info and press releases at www.aea.be.

Established02

Established02

Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:50 am

Pressclub,

Thanks for the reply.

> I hope it's moral that I answer you.

Apparently, my remark in the past has hurt/offended you deeply.
I'm willing to apologise for that and I may understand your larger concerns.
However, on certain issues people may -in all sincerity- have to agree to disagree.

Kind regards (really!),

Established02

Sabena 690

Tue Sep 03, 2002 1:27 am

Thanks for the news, Pressclub!

So all the bad rumours on this forum about 'SNBA playing with their figures' will be past time soon (and I am glad with this).

Regards,
Frederic