englandair

Spotting At London City

Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:58 am

Hello,

Next week I'll be visiting LCY to do abit of spotting. I've never been before so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there's a veiwing gallery, how to get to it, and anywhere else I can get good veiws of the action?!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Markus Burkhard

Thanks alot!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

airchabum

RE: Spotting At London City

Wed Sep 04, 2002 7:08 am

Hi there

There's no deck unfortunately, but plenty of places with views. From the car-park next to the terminal you can easily see things on the rwy but it's not great for photography. To the west of the terminal (Canary Wharf end) you can get line-up/landing shots by the threshold. Going past the terminal/car-park you can stop in an area adjacent to the threshold for the westerly rwy...got some good t/o shots from here too. There are probably other places but those are the best I've found. Don't forget that the place closes between 1200 Sat and 1200 Sun, but it's far busier during the week anyway.

Cheers
Biggidy biggidy bong

NG737PSR

Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:50 pm

Best place for un-restricted views is the dockside walkway which is adjacent to Royal Albert DLR station (Docklands Light Railway). It's on the Beckton branch.

From the walkway opposite the whole airport one gets great views - but don't forget to take a supply of food and drink with you, plus a jacket. The walkway has quite a few benches to sit on too

Happy spotting!

englandair

Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:56 pm

Sounds a lot better than I thought it would be!

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help- it's very much appreciated  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

PW100

Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:16 am

Rent a boat!!

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"