United Airline
Topic Author

How Big Was Air NZ-Ansett Australia Airline Group?

Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:12 pm

From what I heard, before the demise of Ansett Australia, Air New Zealand-Ansett Australia Airline Group was actually one of the top 20-30 largest airlines in the World. Can anyone confirm this?

If not, what was the rating?

Awaiting your reply.

TG992

RE: How Big Was Air NZ-Ansett Australia Airline Group?

Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:46 pm

20th biggest.

*filler*
-

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:33 pm

What about now????? Any chance of regaining its previous size?

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:42 pm

Bigger than QF? I doubt it.

go canada!

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:04 pm

why are you asking these questions again united, ansett has died, please let go of it.

ANZ will never regain its size because helen clark has destined it to become a regional carrier.The only way it could grow is to buy another airline, it cant afford it.
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

NZ767

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:06 pm

Yeah, Size doesn't matter Desmond...........Unless you're a woman!  Insane

United Airline
Topic Author

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:08 pm

LOL NZ767!  Smile

Well........

TG992

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:20 pm

NZ (referred to by it's old designator of TE for the rest of my post to prevent confusion between New Zealand and Air New Zealand) is, and probably always will be, a niche carrier. TE only has *twenty one* international destinations, including only ONE (LHR) in Europe, and TWO (LAX/HNL) in America. All the rest are in the Asia/Pacific area. Perhaps that will give us a proper sense of perspective when we're comparing TE with the big boys!

It can't be like SQ or CX because the geographic position of NZ precludes it from being a major hub for TE to expand around.

It can't be like UA, AA, or BA because NZ doesn't have the population base for TE to grow that way.

What it CAN and HAS been is a niche carrier with top-notch service that provides quality transport into the South Pacific, while it concentrates on rebuilding it's finances and revamping it's long and short-haul operations to stay competitive in the changing airline market. It's time to consolidate, not time to make another attempt at huge expansion!

-

Air Taiwan

Wed Sep 04, 2002 10:40 pm

Well said! TG992!

Jimmy

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:46 am

By expanding into Australia????? Not for the time being. But in the future?

Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:27 am

ANZ will never regain its size because helen clark has destined it to become a regional carrier.

My memories tells me that Helen Clark never say such word.

About ANZ's current size, it doesn't have to be big. Because Big doesn't always mean "better". I would rather see ANZ position itself as a small, but unique international carrier.

United Airline
Topic Author

Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:48 am

I agree. But how big is Air New Zealand right now?

Ryanair!!!

Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:43 pm

Geez United... how big? Bigger than Virgin Blue, smaller than QF. Bigger than Dragon Air, smaller than Cathay Pacific. Bigger than Silkair, smaller than SQ.

As mentioned, Air New Zealand is modest in size when compared to her major competitors in the region. Domestically, how big is New Zealand? It has more sheeps than people! So that would give you a picture of how big the airline really is.

Can ANZ grow? Probably, but after the recent turmoil, growth would probably be cautiously handled because they are obviously not ready for it. They were the 20th largest simply because they absorbed Ansett (then Australia's 2nd largest carrier). But now, they are back to where they were before, a small little international airline.

However, ANZ is excellent in the service it provides (tho some die-hard Ansett lovers might deny) and it remains that way. Lets hope they continue to shine.

Final note, let it go Desmond. Ansett is gone and ANZ has gone back to New Zealand. Stop stirring up shit.

Cheers
Ryan
Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

duff

Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:39 pm

United Airline. I think everyone is getting a little sick and tired of your posts digging up the past. It is still a very sensitive issue for those involved and only results in conflict.

Time to look to the future

Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:55 am

It is still a very sensitive issue for those involved and only results in conflict.

It's a issue that has been discussed over and over.