SInGAPORE_AIR

Air France Pilots Plan Sudden Strike

Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:39 am

The pilot unions at Groupe Air France S.A. have announcd an unexpected four day strike from Friday 6 August 2002 to Monday 9 August 2002.

Air France said it would hope to publish a revised flight schedule on Thursday 5 August's afternoon after a meeting with the main union - SNPL.

Pilots are demanding a 10% pay increase. Air France has offered an inflation matched pay increase scheme until 2005. Air France also gave pilots a 7.3% pay increase in December 2001 and April 2002.

More information at the Financial Times website

Information was gathered from the above hyperlinked webpage. Full information can be viewed by clicking the above hyperlink
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Established02

RE: Air France Pilots Plan Sudden Strike

Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:42 am

> an unexpected four day strike from Friday 6 August 2002 to Monday 9 August 2002.

I believe we're talking about September and not August.  Big grin

DL WIDGET HEAD

Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:42 am

Well, considering we're now in September, has this strike already occurred or are those the wrong dates in the post?

jessman

Thu Sep 05, 2002 6:45 am

It seems Air France pilots are demanding an unscheduled 3 day vacation  Smile

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:01 am

Unfortunately, there has been a slight error in my above post. It is supposed to look like below:
----
The pilot unions at Groupe Air France S.A. have announcd an unexpected four day strike from Friday 6 September 2002 to Monday 9 September 2002.

Air France said it would hope to publish a revised flight schedule on Thursday 5 August's afternoon after a meeting with the main union - SNPL.

Pilots are demanding a 10% pay increase. Air France has offered an inflation matched pay increase scheme until 2005. Air France also gave pilots a 7.3% pay increase in December 2001 and April 2002.

More information at the Financial Times website

Information was gathered from the above hyperlinked webpage. Full information can be viewed by clicking the above hyperlink
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

aamd11

Thu Sep 05, 2002 7:40 am

I was wondering when this years major strike was coming!

now i know!

A^A MD-11

captaingomes

Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:45 am

How well are Air France pilots paid in relation to other international airline pilots, such as at BA, AA, UA, Iberia, KLM, etc. Anybody know?
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

hkgspotter1

Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:55 am

As for the French, how do they ever get anything done ?. There is always one group on strike. Look at the airport, its the trains, the ramp workers, the tug drivers, the cargo loaders, the cleaners...........

And yes, another very well written story, how do you do it  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

flpuck6

Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:00 pm

What do you mean how do they ever get anything done? They go on strike! They want something so they strike. The company can't afford to have its pilots on strike like that, so eventually the company gives in. Sure, it inconveniences others, but it gets the pilots what they want. That's the French way of doing things.

AF337 (our first of 2 flights) is already cancelled for 06September!

-Chris
Bonjour Chef!

SailorOrion

Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:33 pm

AF staff scares passengers away, don't they see it? They are on strike way too often. I myself, I was booked on AF three times, and never got actually transported because the airline was off-line at that time. I will never book a flight operated by Air France again unless someone uses a gun to force me or the situation improves.

Also, these are not the best times for the industry to demand a 10%(!!!!!) pay increase. Sometimes I just think some pilots are getting megalomaniac.

SailorOrion

RIX

Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:03 am

"I was booked on AF three times, and never got actually transported" -HILARIOUS!!! "I will never book a flight operated by Air France again unless someone uses a gun to force me or the situation improves" - looks like the former is much more probable then the latter...

I have never flown with AF but appeared twice at CDG on my round-trip from SVO in 1991. Of course, they were on strike, on the day of my return flight. We had to wait for nobody knew how long but after several hours they let the SU flights to depart (proletarian solidarity?). Still, our luggage arrived even by a later flight... But I still want to fly with AF as they are known as excellent airline. At least until I get my three times... Big grin

co/ba

Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:59 am

It's not exactly sudden when it happens every year.

That was the good thing about working for my former employer as every year when AF went on strike we got a nice little vacation.

flpuck6

Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:56 pm

Well, today both flights were indeed cancelled. The co-pilot of the inbound flight didn't want to leave CDG because of the impending flight. Our 2nd flight was actually scheduled to operate, but did not for mechanical reasons. The 2nd flight (767-300) should be operating this weekend.

One other gripe the pilots have is the privatization of the company. While capitalists say privatization is purely beneficial from a profit-making point of view, the pilots do not have as much "capitalistic" confidence so they want to ensure that they will be well taken care of.

The day was spent helping Delta (they do our handling) re-route passengers through other airlines and cities. Fun fun fun. I've never been more happy to be home.

-Chris/BOSKLAF
Bonjour Chef!

airfrancejfk

Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:41 pm

Flpuck6, by chance, do you work with Carlos and Jason? If you do, tell them Erik "island boy" from Air France JFK Flight Operations says wassup. Today they're cancelling AF023 and AF011 out of JFK, that leaves AF007 and AF009. The 009, normally a B777 will be replaced by a 747-200, that should be something, my first time doing ops for a 747, its been over a year since we had one at JFK.

OO-AOG

Fri Sep 06, 2002 7:00 pm

I was flying today to JFK from GVA via CDG and my AF connecting flight has been cancelled. I've been rerouted and will later fly (maybe...) on the only JFk AF flight today...operated by an Air Atlanta 767!
Luckily I have a frequent flyer Elite status otherwise I would have been stuck here! First time ever I have a problem with Air France.
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

PW100

Sat Sep 07, 2002 12:20 am

I guess the french book "strike for dummies" has so far only been translated from French into Italian...

At least these guys have the decency to anounce a "sudden" strike a couple of days in advance...

PW100
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"