Flying Belgian
Topic Author

Spotting In Zrh?

Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:51 pm

Hello all,

I intend to go to Zurich Kloten in the next future for a spotting day there.

Can someone tell me whether the facilities out there are good for spotters or not ???

I've heard about a viewing terrace ???

Is it possible to get good shots even if staying in the airport building ??

Many thanks in advance for your help !!!  Smile

Life is great at 41.000 feet...

RE: Spotting In Zrh?

Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:54 pm

Welcome to Zurich!  Big grin This post should answer some questions:

Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:56 pm

Great details like Timetable etc you will also get at:

The viewing terrace is located at Terminal B and you have very easy access, fee is CHF 2.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok
Sabena 690

Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:14 pm

Hey FB!

Do you go to ZRH, FB?

I mean, you know...

Anyway, LHR was great! Big grin

ZRH has a great terrace, if I see some pictures. Nice to see that this airport still has some great spotting facilities.

Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:47 pm

I have just come back from ZRH (from London) and used the viewing terrace in the morning and the approach to runway 14/16 in the afternoon. As I did not have a car I caught yellow bus 510 from the terminal to Oberglatt Zentrum (leaves at xx.05) and then its a 15 minute walk to the approach. There is a car park there with an imbiss type snack bar. I walked up a footpath a short way (just as the road turns left to the approach) amongst the fields. If you walk along here you can get aircraft on approach to both 14 and 16. The light is good from 13.00 to sunset, but beware the last bus leaves for the airport at 19.36.
The afternoon is mostly Crossair/swiss but some days you get a Korean A330 at 17.55, an SAA Jumbo. The unique site is well worth a look to plan your locations.

By the way the 510 bus goes past the Golden Arch (McDonalds) Hotel too. It is not too far from Rumelang rail station too which links both Flughafen and Oberglatt at hourly intervals. Oberglatt station is a further 10 minute walk from the approach but has a train service later than the bus in case you get stranded!

I also recommend the page, run by a very enthusiastic local, Peter Frei.

I did not find accommodation cheap (I stayed in Buelach), but if you have a car it may be worth seeing if its a little cheaper a bit further away.

Sat Sep 07, 2002 9:14 pm

ZRH one of the best places to spot, Ray said you can go to the carpark in Oberglatt and there is a caravan with snack facilities and you can walk right to the centerline of the runway 14 with planes screaming over your head about 100ft,...its awesome.

Wish they had somethign similar like they have in ZRH down under as well.