ydna_anderson

Cargolux 747f's

Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:23 pm

hello guys... i was just surfing and looking at pictures of cargolux airplanes... and i've noticed that they were all 747's.... i assume that they really do have a big opperation going to have that kind of a fleet... i really dont know much about cargo's and stuff but can anyone tell me more about cargolux and their opperations?
hub? fleet? i suppose they do it like fed ex where smaller planes bring the cargo to their hub before transporting to another place right?
how come they dont have smaller planes? y all 747's?

thanks a lot in advance....

-andy

PH-BFA

RE: Cargolux 747f's

Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:40 am

Cargolux is from Luxemburg. There is also their hub. Their fleet consists of 12 747-400 freighters. I don't know how their operations are organized, maybe you should take look at their website.

PH-BFA  Smile

Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:04 am

Cargolux flys around the world with freight ....LUX-HKG-MEL-AKL-LAX-LUX is one of the worldwide freighter flights cargolux operates with a 747-400F

Cargolux also transports a lot of live animals !

nzjet100

patroni

Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:27 am

Cargolux is based at Luxembourg's Findel airport. It operates 12 747-400F, the newest one was just delivered on 23rd August.

The company benefits from its single type fleet, i.e. all pilots are licensed to fly all aircraft, same for the mechanics on the maintenance side and of course for the spare parts (well, 5 aircraft have GE engines while 7 have RR engines, but besides that they are identical).

Luxembourg itself is a small country with not much industry, it is more famous for its banks and for the media business (RTL TV, Astra satellite). So the majority of the cargo is trucked from origins (or in the other directions to destinations) all over Europe. There are regular Road Feeder Services to many places, plus others that can be customized for bigger shipments. Different than e.g. Lufthansa or Air France, Cargolux only deals with forwarders while LH and AF also take cargo from shippers directly. Of course there are also lots of transfer shipments like HKG-LUX-MEX.

The network serves all continents and includes destinations like Seattle, New York, San Francisco, Houston, Portland, Los Angeles, Calgary, Mexico, Guadalajara, Bogota, Latacunga, Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile, Abidjan, Accra, Johannesburg, Nairobi, Dubai, Sharjah, Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, Damascus, Istanbul, Beirut, Karachi, Tehran, Baku, Chennai, Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Taipei, Shanghai, Manila, Komatsu, Melbourne, Auckland plus some places in Europe which are a stop on the way to or from long haul destinations, just like Vitoria, Manchester, Prestwick, Budapest.

Distribution from the Cargolux gateways to the actual destinations of the shipments is either done by truck or via interline agreements with a number of other carriers - if the cargo is not picked up directly at the gateway.

@Bigo747 : The routing is actually LUX-KUL-MEL-AKL-LAX-GDL-LUX

Cheers,

Patroni

Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:26 am

LUX-KUL-MEL-AKL-LAX-GDL-LUX is the monday service
LUX-HKG-MEL-AKL-LAX-LUX is the saturday service ...(Two services two Auckland a week )

Thats the routing into Auckland

nzjet100

aa61hvy

Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:18 am

we had one in dfw a few years back, it came a few times...
Go big or go home

patroni

Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:02 am

@bigo747 :
Dunno where you got your schedule information from, but there are only two versions of the Australia service:

Leaving LUX on thursday :
LUX-BEY-PEN-MEL-AKL-HKG-AUH-LUX

Leaving LUX on saturday :
LUX-KUL-MEL-AKL-LAX-GDL-LUX

There is definitely no HKG-MEL service, also the transpac sector is only served once a week.

Cheers,
Patroni

American 767

Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:31 am

Yes, that's true. Cargolux, founded in 1970, is an all-cargo airline and it operates 747-400F's only (I saw one two weeks ago when I was hiking there), they no longer have 747-200's. They have operated the Canadair CL-44 and the Douglas DC-8 as well. Cargolux was the launch customer of the 747-400F and introduced the type in late 1993.

"Si la vie...est un cadeau..." Corinne Hermes
Nmb 1 at Eurovision 1983
I like that song.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

ZK-NBT

Wed Sep 11, 2002 3:06 pm

Well 1 of the AKL services comes from MEL goes to LAX.
The other may aswell it goes to HKG anyway!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos