jamesag96

Mid-Air On The 11th?

Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:39 pm

I was watching the NBC special last night and I was shocked to hear of a near Mid-Air when United 175 was turning toward NYC. The ATC said that they had missed a Delta flight by approx. 200 feet....was I the only one that hadn't heard this? Does anyone have any more info. on it? The information came so quickly that I didn't have time to fully register what I had heard.

Thanks,
J
Why Kate, You're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

RE: Mid-Air On The 11th?

Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:23 pm

I saw it last night as well, and yeah, he came within 200 feet of colliding with a DL BOS-TPA flight as the barbarians were descending toward NYC.

Equally as chilling,as the fact I lived in CLE for a couple of years was the fact that they originally thought for a short time UA 93 was descending to hit downtown Cleveland.......Seeing all the news footage of CPD officers in their cruisers telling everyone to leave the downtown section was very unsettling (thankfully it didn't happen that way)

jhooper

Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:45 pm

the lives that would have been saved... I know it sounds cold, but I'm sure anyone on that DL flight would have been willing to give up their lives had it meant saving thousands on the ground.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

prosa

Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:13 am

the lives that would have been saved... I know it sounds cold, but I'm sure anyone on that DL flight would have been willing to give up their lives had it meant saving thousands on the ground.

There wouldn't have been thousands of lives saved. Only about 600 of the 2,800 dead at the WTC were occupants of the south tower. While many rescuers, probably 250 at least, died in the collapse of the south tower, most of them would have been in or near the north tower had UA 175 not reached its target and would have died when the north tower came down.
When you add in the people on DL 2315 (BDL-TPA, not BOS-TPA as earlier noted), plus any people unlucky to have been on the ground where it and UA 175 would have come down, you're probably talking about a death toll of maybe 2,300 instead of 2,800. Obviously, that would be better, but it's not a difference in the thousands.
As far as physical damage is concerned, while of course the south tower would still be standing had UA 175 been in a mid-air collision, it's not at all clear whether the building would ever be usable, as it shared a common foundation with the (destroyed) north tower. This issue is at the center of a lawsuit concerning insurance payouts.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

mikola

Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:58 am

very odd, i was supposed to be on the (probably) returning flight to BDL from TPA that morning around 11am.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos