jhooper

F/A: "We've Been Cleared For Landing"

Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:18 am

I've noticed that whenever I fly, about 15 minutes before landing, a flight attendant will usually make an announcement like "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have been cleared for landing, please bring all seatbacks and traytables to their upright and locked position and stow away your carryon luggage." Why do flight attendants say "we have been cleared for landing" when no tower will clear you for landing that far out, and in fact the aircraft is still talking to Center or Approach Control? Usually a landing clearance is recieved approximately 3 to 10 miles out, and I find it especially funny when I hear this announcement, and know full well that the tower is closed and can't possibly "clear us to land". Ok, maybe I'm being nitpicky here, but I prefer when they more accurately say "Ladies and gentlemen, in preparation for landing....bla bla bla."
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

fly_emirates

RE: F/A: "We've Been Cleared For Landing"

Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:37 am

on Emirates airlines i would say "Ladies and gentlemen, we are landing in Twenty minuites", or i would say " We have started descending as we are landing in Dubai international airport in twenty minuites, please return your seats to their upright positions and yada yada yada"

mel

Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:39 am

I agree... I think it's ridiculous for the F/A to say "we've been cleared to land at Montreal", when we're still at 10,000 ft, and on approach control/arrival frq. I guess it is their protocol whenever the chimes sound, the F/A announces that stupid remark. I noticed that Comair/Delta Connection does it a lot. They should say, "we're on final approach".
NO URLS in signature

flyf15

Sun Sep 15, 2002 6:46 am

The average passenger doesn't know the difference. The passenger who does knows enough to not be confused by it. Its just an easy way to convey to the general public that the final porition/approach/descent/landing (whatever you choose to call it) segment of the flight has begun.

Cessnapimp

Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:01 am

Some F/A's at AC will say "we have started our final descent into ___", others will say "we have started our descent into___" but I've never heard " cleared for landing", that's just plain weird....

... what I have learned in this day and age where some frequent flyers fly more on an airline than flight crews themselves, and so many passengers are actually well informed about flying, it is to everyone's advantage to "skip the bullshit" when explaining or announcing something on the PA during an announcement. I'd say 1 out of 10 pax will know you're milkin'em.

My 2 devaluated canadian cents...

Grégoire

groobster

Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:21 am

Is this an American thing?

The norm on European and Asian carriers (from my experience) is that they say something along the lines of:

"ladies & gentlemen we have begun our descent to [insert name here] airport, please ensure that your seat is in the upright position, trays are stowed away, return to your seat, switch off electrical devices blah blah blah"
Next flights: MAN-DXB-BKK-DXB-MAN

sushka

Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:26 am

I have heard them say that we were cleared for landing on Northwest once. I just kind of smiled to myself.  Smile
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Cessnapimp

Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:28 am

Those announcements are airline specific. They are determined by the airline, although many F/A's divert from "the book" and choose to do their "own thing". Nothing to do with nationality or contin..... contni.... uh....continentality!!?

USAFHummer

Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:05 pm

I love it when the aircraft is under 10000 AGL or so and they say "Ladies and Gentlemen, we have begun our initial descent into XXX..." thats the norm for US F/A announcements...it pisses the heck out of me, one can usually feel the slight weightlessness feeling as the aircraft leaves cruise on the real initial descent, and then 20 minutes later that announcement gets made...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

dragogoalie

Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:36 pm

I've also heard "we are now on final approach". Those of us who fly, know that final approach is when you are aligned with the runway before landing. I've had them say this and then we do all this turning about, which means we were definately not on final approach. I know that many airlines do the straight in approach, but that still does not make it final approach.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

AY-MD11

Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:00 pm

in Finnair they always say something like this: "ladies and gentleman we have started our landing preparations and then the usual blaa blaa..."

regards,
AY-MD11

EGFF

Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:12 pm

Groobster, spot on ..... that's what they say here in the Uk and most of Europe i believe.
EGFF
All together or not at all

backfire

Sun Sep 15, 2002 7:16 pm

[rant = on]

Oh get over yourselves, some of you.

Most passengers are on board an aircraft to reach a destination, not to get a lesson in air traffic control. It's the cabin crew's job to reassure the people on the flight that things are going smoothly and to communicate that fact in plain, simple language that passengers will understand. Is that concept so hard to accept?

If you want to know why spotters seem to attract a reputation for being anal geeks, then you only have to look at this thread  Insane

[rant = off]

skyhawk

Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:14 pm

Years ago most companies stopped saying, "We are on final approach for ____" because too many people kind of panicked at hearing the word "final". Now most say something like, "We have been cleared to land at _____".

nwa747-400

Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:19 pm

Northwest makes the announcement about beging the descent and then there is a double chime about 5 minutes before landing and the fa's announce

'we've been cleared for landing into Detroit please ensure your seat back is upright, tray table locked in place, and seat belt securly fastened. flight attendants will be coming through the cabin to collect all remaining service items. We should be landing shortly. Thank you"

When you fly asmuch as I do you don't need the announcement, the double chime keys you in. I believe the pilots make the double chime at the time they receive their landing clearance from the tower.

meechy36

Sun Sep 15, 2002 10:45 pm

At American the captain makes a P.A. when we begin our descent and tells how long until we land, then about 6 minutes before landing the captain makes the "Flight Attendants, prepare for landing" P.A., what that means to me is "We(the flight attendants) have been cleared for landing and to make our final P.A's and do our last compliance checks, in first class that's when we hand the coats back also.

99% of the passengers don't care if we are on final approach, if we've been cleared to land or any of the other things that were picked apart on this thread. In 15 years of flying I have never had a pax ask me why I said we were cleared to land when we technically weren't, and if they did I would tell them to take it up with the captain.

Mike-BOS

USAFHummer

Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:28 am

I dunno about the rest of you, but I am kinda stingy with technicalities and stuff like that just makes me mutter "grrrrr" to myself and you get the idea...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

delta-flyer

Mon Sep 16, 2002 12:42 am

I have heard F/A's make correct as well as erroneous announcements. I suspect they have several scripts (eg. - "begin descent", "final approach", "cleared to land", etc.) but they may not always have the information from the flight deck and/or are too busy to double-check the situation. So they say the wrong script. No big deal.

From the posts above, the consensus seems to be that European and Asian F/A's are just smarter than US F/A's. That's what every thread ultimately leads to isn't it?

Pete  Smile
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

trickijedi

Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:12 am

Yes, it's quite annoying for an F/A to assume that.
Last year sometime, I was on a flight to LGA on ATA and the F/A? did just that. He said "We are now clear to land" and it made me wonder how he knew that so far ahead in advanced. Consequently, we ended up circling around for another half an hour or so due to high winds in the NY area. I'm sure the F/A who said that felt like an idiot by assuming that we were cleared to land when in fact we were about to enter a holding pattern. People looked at him funny after that on the way out.
Now, if the pilots specifically told the head F/A then that's a different story because then the information related to the passengers by the F/A would then be accurate.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

jhooper

Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:34 am

Most passengers are on board an aircraft to reach a destination, not to get a lesson in air traffic control. It's the cabin crew's job to reassure the people on the flight that things are going smoothly and to communicate that fact in plain, simple language that passengers will understand. Is that concept so hard to accept?

Backfire,

My point exactly. Since most passengers aren't onboard for a lesson in air traffic control, then why bother stating "we've been cleared to land"? They might as well say "The landing gear has been extended" or some other ridiculous B.S.

Braniff727

Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:10 am

Umm, because that's the airlines' policy. As mentioned above, at NW when the double chime is made by the flight deck, the lead FA makes the announcement. It's written in the manual that way. They do not assume, make it up or anything other than recite what they are told to. They are doing their job.

If it bothers anyone that much, write a letter.
Climbing

jhooper

Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:37 am

On Delta, some flight attendants word it that way, while the majority of them usually use the "In preparation for landing version". I'm not sure which one is written in the manual, but I think the "In preparation for landing version" sounds more professional; not that my two cents really matter, I just thought I'd point out something that some F/As do that I find silly. My theory is that if they're going to say something like "we've been cleared for landing", then they should be correct. Just cut the fluff and say what's necessary:

Ladies and gentlemen, to prepare for landing, please...bla bla bla

rootsgirl

Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:25 pm

I know when Capt turns seat belt sign on and calls me to advise we are on final descent. I make the announcement then, but I don't say " we have been cleared for landing".

I do say " Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has illuminated the fasten seat belt sign as we are on our final approach into the ________airport. In preparation for landing please ensure blah blah blah.

Just as wheels go down Capt comes on PA and says " Flight Attendants Please Be Seated For Landing"

DouglasDC8

Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:05 pm

As I have flown on Delta a couple of times recently, I have noticed that their flight attendants have used the "cleared to land" phrase. I have also noticed that the Delta flight attendants make announcements when the seat belt sign is illuminated. On United, the first officer makes an announcement when the seat belt light goes on and the flight attendants make the final cabin prep announcement after the flight deck says "flight attendants, prepare for landing."

Just a bit of history-in the "old" days, on United, the flight deck turned off the "No Smoking" light after take off to let the flight attendants know it was safe to get out of their jump seats. The sign was the illuminated when it was time for the flight attendants to do their final cabin checks.

airlinelover

Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:31 pm

On one flight, a few years back ( I canna remeber where I was going..), the flight was pretty empty.. I think it may have been CLE-TPA.. but the F/A's had it EASY.. I think it may have been a dc-9 or whatever, and there were only 10 pax in coach, and maybe 2 in first.. so she must've found out who had flown before and stuff, (As I was asked), and decided to have some fun..

"Ok everyone, we're decending into Tampa, you know the drill".. Everyone CRACKED UP!!

It seemed to be mostly business people..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

jhooper

Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:45 pm

Ok; now I'm broadening the topic to include other "strange" announcements made by a F/A (no intention to bash flight attendants). I was on a Skywest flight (IAH-DFW) a few weeks ago, and the flight attendant came on and said:

"The FAA has changed it's interpretation of the fasten seat belt sign. When the captain has the fasten seat belt sign illuminated, you are not allowed to get up out of your seat and must keep your seat belt fastened".

So, I'm wondering.....what was FAA's interpretation of this regulation before???

deltaflyertoo

Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:52 pm

I have noticed this only exclusively on Delta, but occasionally on the others. But enough on Delta, I suspect it is written in the Delta manuals. I figured the reason they say it, even though as many of you have already pointed out that the flight is far from getting the landing clearance, is to sound a little dramatic in the hopes no one will get up and try and use the restroom or summon a f/a for some needless crap during this phase of the flight. On United they use the "In preparation for landing..." and it does seem to me that there always a few pax who will get up about 5 minutes later for a last minute lav visit.

On a similar note, I've always noticed that every airline is different in terms of the timing of the announcment/cabin check. Some airlines will do this while the flight is turning on final, others at 10,000 ft, others at 5,000 ft.

I noticed in Europe on both BA and VS, this announcement, the f/as coming thorugh for final checks and then the f/a being seated seem to happen a good 15-25 mintues before touching down. On Virgin, it seems as soon as the pilots retard the throttle they flight attendants have made the announcement and are already seated, while we still have 30+ thousand feet to descent through.

jhooper

Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:55 pm

Deltaflyertoo,

I like your answer. It certainly creates a "dramatic" feeling. WOW! We've been CLEARED TO LAND!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos