Taiwan To Delay Building Terminal 3 For TPE

Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:33 am

Taiwan's UDN News today reported that Taiwan is to delay the construction of Terminal 3, due to the numbers of passengers in TPE didn't meet the goals after the opening of T2.

T3 construction was planned not to be build by Government, and the Government is not expected to fund the construction.

T2 was planned during the flying economy growth 9 years ago. At that time the annual passenger number using TPE was growing from 3 million to 7 million in 2002, when T2 opened.

However, the passenger numbers using TPE sees the decrease of 1.9% this year. This is due to the terrorist attack in the US plus the poor economic performance.

Only half side of T2 are in operation, with 10 gates. The other half (the north side) just started the consturction, which will be finished by the end of 2003.

However, the authority is worrying that they will not be able to meet the goal once the T2 finished construction.

Proposed plan for T3 is located the west side of T2, about 50 acres.

hkgspotter1

RE: Taiwan To Delay Building Terminal 3 For TPE

Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:34 am

Well when I visited this year I have to say the airport is the slowest International airport I've been to. Even Macau was a bout the same !!. As for the food options in terminal one........ CRAP.

bobcat

RE: Taiwan To Delay Building Terminal 3 For TPE

Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:47 am

I flew to Taiwan around the end of August. Every USA to Taipei flight was booked solid.(all F/C/Y seats) However, that was probably just the summer high season.

Back in December('01) I was on a EVA Air flight in first class TPE-SEA-EWR. I had a paid C ticket and upgraded to first. It was a waster of money. Business class only had 3 people and I ended up as the ONLY one in first class. (not really a good thing, because on that 747-400, the first class was on the lower deck. The flight attendants almost forgot I was there... )