2cn
Topic Author

Q About The New Carryon Policy

Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:01 pm

I am trying to figure the whole new policy out- I know they say one personal item and carryon.. but what I can't seem to figure out is what they consider the personal item- such as, would a backpack be a personal item or carryon? That is what I am confused about.. as I thought it was a personal item, but on one of my past flights, someone carried on a duffle bag and a backpack.. so I'm a bit confused

(trying to find out before my flight to Hawaii.. cause if I dont have to check a bag, being a non rev.. I dont want to.. but if I gotta to be able to take my backpack on, I wanna make sure I dont pack anything in my checked bag that I may want during the flight.)

RNOcommctr

RE: Q About The New Carryon Policy

Mon Sep 16, 2002 7:24 pm

The other "personal item" could be a laptop case, a purse, or a briefcase. But I think a back pack would be considered by most airlines to be too large.
Active loading only, ma'am, keep it moving!

skyhawk

Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:08 am

A backpack is not considered too large to be a personal item so long as it can be stowed in keeping with current regulations. My son came home for a couple of weeks from DAB transitting ATL and had a carry-on bag and his backpack(had his log book, headset, other necessities to fly with while at home, and had no trouble whatsoever). The main thing, I think, it to be absolutely sure it will all fit overhead or beneath your seat. Also, the backpack really can't be the size of a suitcase like the large ones L.L.Bean sells. They are just too big.

jjbiv

Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:42 am

TSA defines personal item as a purse, briefcase, or similar item.

Here's the relevant FAR 121.589 (a):

No certificate holder may allow the boarding of carry-on baggage on an airplane unless each passenger's baggage has been scanned to control the size and amount carried on board in accordance with an approved carry-on baggage program in its operations specifications. In addition, no passenger may board an airplane if his/her carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage allowance prescribed in the carry-on baggage program in the certificate holder's operations specifications.

joe

Braniff727

Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:56 am

Best bet is to check your airline's website, or contact them directly to answer your questions.
Climbing

goingboeing

Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:55 am

Don't just check the website...get something in writing from the airline, or be prepared to check your backpack. What might be allowed at one airport might not be allowed at another. So, while you might be able to take a backpack and a carry on bag on your outbound trip, there is no guarantee that the folks at the airport on your return trip won't consider a backpack as a "personal item".

Braniff727

Tue Sep 17, 2002 4:58 am

If you print the documentation from the airline's website, then you have something in writting from the company.

There's no arguement with that.
Climbing

jjbiv

Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:07 pm

Be mindful of the fact that if a flight is full, you may have to check your bag. The cabin is for people; not your crap.

joe