I LOVE EWR
Topic Author

Pilots/FAs..How Do You Save Money When Working?

Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:44 am

This is a question to Pilots and FAs. I hope to be a commerical airline pilot one day and was wondering if you can give me a few tips for me to store down the road. When working a trip I understand you get Per Diem pay per hour on duty depending on your specific airline's contract. How far does that Per Diem go? You obviously have to eat and such but overpriced airport food and overpriced hotel food I am sure can quickly cut into that Per Diem Check as well as your salary. Do any airports/hotels offer discounts to food items to pilots and FAs. Any tips that you may have on good ways to save your Per Diem Check money?

artsyman

RE: Pilots/FAs..How Do You Save Money When Working?

Wed Sep 18, 2002 9:50 am

Continental, 16 year hire, flying International (IAH>CDG) will get around 120 dollars for PD per trip. This will more than cover a nice lunch and dinner for your time in Paris. Yes you can easily spend more, but no need.

Jeremy

MD88Captain

Wed Sep 18, 2002 10:39 am

At DAL I think per deim is $2.10/hr domestic and $2.60/hr international. It will feed you nicely. As to overpriced airport food, you learn where the good deals are and you avoid the rest.

Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:14 am

Our corporate operation is pretty typical, I think, for most of the larger companies. We get reimbursed 100% for actual hotel and rental car costs. We aren't expected to stay in cheap hotels, mostly mid to upper quality properties like Hilton, Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc. Meals are reimbursed at actual costs with a minimum reimbursement of $34/day (domestic) and $68/day (international). We have no upper limit for meal reimbursements, but common sense limits us to $75 per meal. (We get to eat pretty well.  Big thumbs up )

EssentialPowr

Wed Sep 18, 2002 11:47 am

Ask for an airline discount.
Eat power bars and banannas.
Vote to improve your contract if you per diem is low.

concorde1518

Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:13 pm

So, most airlines don't give you an expense account?

Smile

airlinelover

Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:24 pm

Also, a lot of hotels offer free breakfast and the like, so that can help too.. ALso, on longer flights, I have known F/A's and Pilots to bring Subway or whatever with them..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply