What is SOCAL APPROACH?

QANTAS_767

RE: What Os Socal Approach?

Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:23 pm

Darn another spelling mistake sorry it is meant to be IS  Sad

OPNLguy

Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:31 pm

It's for SOuthern CALifornia TRACON (approach), which is a facility that replaced numerous other former TRACONs that were smaller into a larger one that handles everything for Southern California. Both LAX and SAN formerly had their own TRACONs (located at LAX, and Miramar), and to be honest, I can't recall which other airports had their own, but I'd guess that SNA, LGB, ONT, and BUR did.

The same scenario played out a few years back when they combined the TRACONs for EWR, LGA, JFK (and maybe a couple of others) into a single facility. Another example is about to start, which is a Bay TRACON, which combines several TRACON in Northern California.

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OPNLguy

Wed Sep 18, 2002 8:43 pm

I got curious as to what TRACONs were consolidated into SoCal, and found the following at http://www.socaltracon.com

What is SoCal TRACON?
Southern California TRACON, or SoCal TRACON (SCT) is the busiest approach control in the world, SCT provides radar air traffic approach control services to all arriving and departing aircraft for most airports in southern California. Airports receiving SCT services include Burbank Airport, John Wayne Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, Long Beach Airport, March AFB, Miramar MCAS, North Island NAS, Ontario Airport, San Diego International Airport, Van Nuys Airport and many more airports that service general aviation. SCT's airspace is approximately 17,000 square miles and covers an area from 20 miles north of Burbank to the US/Mexican border and from San Bernardino to Santa Catalina Island.

SoCal TRACON was originally 5 separate FAA TRACON's or Terminal RADAR Approach Control facilities. We were, Burbank Approach, Coast Approach, Ontario Approach, Los Angeles Approach, and San Diego Approach. Over a multi-year period all these facilities were merged into the one facility in San Diego.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

QANTAS747-438

Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:05 am

Yeah, if you ever listen to ATC of LAX, you'll hear the pilots requesting information for "SoCal Approach, runway 25L" and so forth. I've also heard "Los Angeles Approach" a few times.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.