BA
Topic Author

United Airlines Applies For Daily LAX-DCA Service

Thu Sep 19, 2002 7:24 am

United is trying to get National Airline's unused DCA slot to start up a daily LAX-DCA flight.

Here's the full story:
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020918/182479_1.html

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

scottysair

RE: United Airlines Applies For Daily LAX-DCA Service

Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:57 am

WOW!!! This is really good as for United want nonstop from LAX-DCA flight by first-ever as for long transcontinental flight. This is really business people were go to Washingtion, D.C as for itself. And I think will be easier to the connection flight on the transpacific flight into the south or east flight. Well, see if they are made decide if they are made of DOT is approved to letting go into DCA flight. Well, last time were got remembered as for TWA want award nonstop from DCA-LAX, right? Well, later!!

usairways85

Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:06 am

first, are 757's allowed at DCA yet? I thought one of the reason's National backed out of its slots was because they were waiting so long for 757's to be allowed back at the airport. Second, UA is not the only carrier going after these slots, i believe America West is as well for a flt to Las Vegas. It should be interesting to see if any other airlines join in and who finally gets awarded the slots.

bobcat

Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:15 am

Cool! If United is allowed to do LAX-DCA nonstop,
I'm sure they will do very well on this route.
Hope they're approved to start service ASAP!  Smile
Northwest Airlines currently has at least 2 daily
DCA-MSP flights using Boeing 757s, so aircraft restriction
shouldn't be an issue.

Better yet, let JetBlue fly LGB-DCA nonstop. (wishful thinking)  Smile

scottysair

Thu Sep 19, 2002 10:15 am

Well, I think this is mostly yes will goes back into DCA by B757 again.

ual777contrail

Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:18 pm

i bet they could use an A320? that would be a good plane for that.

just my opinion.

ual 777 contraIL

Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:21 pm

Well, I think this would probably shift a flight away from the busy LAX-IAD corridor. It would be a good place to put to the P2P passengers for united, instead of using up space likely to be used by passengers connecting.

OzarkD9S

Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:32 pm

Anyone but UA or US should get LAX-DCA. UA dominates LAX-IAD and the US/UA combination will only increase the total LA-DC dominance. Why not F9 for a second DEN-DCA flight?
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

bobcat

Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:35 pm

I still say JetBlue, DCA-LGB nonstop!  Big grin

ual777contrail

Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:38 pm

jetblue who? they arent even players. Big thumbs up

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:22 pm

JetBlue who? The airline that's making profits this year, unlike United, and which offers low fares instead of trying to prop up an untenable cost structure.  Big grin Still, I doubt B6 would go after DCA-LGB because it would cannibalize their flights at IAD. It's unlikely that B6 would abandon IAD for DCA because the transcon slots at DCA are so few. JetBlue, I think, wants to grow transcons in the DC area, and Dulles allows them to do that.

I agree, anyone but US or UA should get the DCA transcon slots. Too bad America West wouldn't run DCA-LAX; they'd offer lower fares and stimulate traffic on a valuable business route.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

haveric

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:31 pm

Last week, US Airways applied to use the National route authorities on a LAS-DCA route.... i'd imagine US would want to switch that to LAX, however....

eric

nwa747-400

Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:46 pm

As a side note on 757 use.

Just booked a Novemeber trip on Northwest and they are operating at least 2 flights DCA-DTW with the 757-200.

ual777contrail

Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:09 pm

DCA-ROC,
I would be willing to bet if UNITED or AMERICAN operated a small schedule as jetblue we to would make profits also. Innocent

ual 777 contrail

UNITED777ORD

Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:11 am

United needs to startout with the A319 before they go to the B757 on the DCA-LAX route. UAL should be the winner of the slot(s).

United777ORD

John

Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:33 am

The 757 is the perfect aircraft for this route, and DCA's relatively short 6,870 foot main runway.

wilax

Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:21 am

If ever there was a perfect route for an A321. I could also envision an all business class flight much like the LH DUS-EWR BBJ; some sort of a US-transcon-Concorde flight. If this is such a business-traveler's-delight, why not DCA-SNA or DCA-BUR--both of which would be firsts.

ont 737

Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:39 am

Give AS or F9 another beyond parameter slot (HP has 3!) and at least try to give FL a few regular slots. United already has hourly flights to ORD and they can connect someone just about anywhere in their system from there. AS and F9 would never be able to reach their hub without a beyond perimeter slot. Besides... UA does have a hub just 20 min away.

John,
SNA's runway is only 5,700 feet. The a 757 would take a substantial weight restriction. Ever wonder why no one operates SNA-JFK... (ok I know CO flies SNA-EWR, but that's on 73Gs)

EA CO AS

Fri Sep 20, 2002 5:43 am

There are rumors that AS is thinking of tossing their hat in the ring, proposing DCA-LAX service using B-737-700 equipment.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

FrequentFlier

Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:10 am

Isn't there a cap on the distance of flights to and from DCA like at LGA?

contrails

Fri Sep 20, 2002 6:53 am

This is good for UA and DCA. Who else is trying for the route? I thought AA inherited the slot from TW, but I knew they weren't using it.

757's are allowed at DCA now. I don't know who is doing what with them, but I see an AA 757 from time to time.

I don't know if there is still a distance cap. Congress allowed N/S service to LAS, LAX, PHX, and SEA a while back.

Flying Colors Forever!

BA
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:12 am

Contrails,

America West and Frontier are both trying to get the slot. Alaska might be trying to also. I'm not 100% sure though.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

EA CO AS

Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:15 am

Contrails-

DCA has a "perimeter rule" where no carrier may have nonstop service to or from any point further than 1,250 miles away. There are certain exemptions that have been given occasionally, such as HP's PHX and LAS service.

TW once held such an exemption, allowing them to fly LAX-DCA. When TW filed for Chapter 11 and had their assets purchased by AA, the exemption (which is NOT transferable from one carrier to another) went up for grabs. It was awarded to AS, who used it to provide SEA-DCA nonstop service.

FYI, New York/LGA has a perimeter rule as well, but theirs is 1,500 miles. HP recently submitted a proposal to the DOT to allow them an exemption for PHX-LGA nonstop service. It's still pending review.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BA
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:19 am

In addition to what EA CO AS said. DEN and EGE are both exceptions to the 1,500 mile perimeter rule around LGA.

Regards

ont 737

Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:50 am

Today's (Sept. 20) Aviation Daily is reporting that there are now 6 airlines applying for National's beyond perimeter slot. (HP, DL, F9, UA, US, and AA) Both HP and F9 has offered to use up the slot temporarily while the DOT examines the airlines applications. Both UA and AA want the slot for DCA-LAX, DL for a DCA-SLC, F9 for DCA-DEN, and for some reason both HP and US applied to get a DCA-LAS. Out of all destinations on the west coast, why would US pick LAS?

Architect

Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:54 am

"Besides... UA does have a hub just 20 min away. "

I'd really like to see you get there in 20 minutes - in the afternoon when you can't use 66 because you're driving yourself... Try about an hour at the times one would actually be leaving.

Seriously, DCA and IAD serve fairly different markets with the bulk of the city (DC proper) using DCA when possible because of its convenience, metro connection, congressional parking, etc. IAD is the airport of choice for northern VA (outside of Arlington) which isn't traveling so much these days with all of the .com companies no longer traveling (or even around).

I often choose flights out of DCA, even if it means connecting, because I save so much time getting there - and when I get back I can just get hop on the metro. I'm really glad that there have been more and more beyond-perimeter flights lately - and I've been quite happy with the quality and schedule of flights (especially to DEN and SEA where I go often)

ont 737

Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:58 am

Architect
"I'd really like to see you get there in 20 minutes - in the afternoon when you can't use 66 because you're driving yourself... Try about an hour at the times one would actually be leaving."

You can drive on the 66 westbound by yourself during the evening rushour *if* you are driving to IAD. If you turn off the 66 before you hit the 267/Dulles Access Road you will get a ticket. You and I both live in Arlington we can both drive 21 miles to IAD in 20 min.

I realize that there is a difference between IAD and DCA, I fly out of DCA whenever I can. (I'm flying DCA-ORD today as a matter of fact) It is very close to DC and the Metro can take you there in a matter of minutes. Back to the slots.... United has 8 non-stop IAD-LAX flights and American has 3. The market is well served and when you are flying transcon to LAX a little longer drive to the airport does not add much time (relatively speaking) to your travel. If you still want to fly out of DCA most majors have hourly flights to all their hubs (within the 1,500 perimeter) and you can connect. Besides the spirit behind the beyond perimeter slot allocations seemed to be aimed at giving smaller carriers access to DCA whose hubs are outside the 1,500 mile mark. (HP's "hub" at CMH does not count) If servicing all the major western cities was a huge priority to the DOT they would not have given 4 of the 6 roundtrip slots to serve just LAS and PHX. (2 PHX flights on HP and 1 LAS flights each for National and HP) I say let Frontier (a low fare carrier) have the last slot. This is pretty much Frontier's only chance to get another flight into DCA all the other majors already have substantial operations there.

Republic

Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:46 am

According to the DOT, the applicants are:

US Airways said it wants the slots for Las Vegas service. America West wants them for a second daily Las Vegas flight, American wants them for Los Angeles, Delta for Salt Lake City, Frontier for a second daily Denver flight and United for Los Angeles.

Regards,
Joe

Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:08 am

F9 should get it. HP has enough; US has nothing to connect to in Vegas; DL has hubs in DFW, ATL, and CVG, all within the perimeter rule; AA has ORD, STL, DFW; UA has ORD and IAD; and AS hasn't applied yet(they are the other airline I think should get it if it's to SEA).