zrs70

Cities With More Than One Full Service Airport

Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:15 pm

Ledt me rephrase: Which cities have more than one FULL service commercial airport... where neither is considered "secondary." For example, Chicago has both O'hare and Midway, but Midway is a truly secondary airport.

So, here's my list:

NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA)
PAR (CDG/ORY)
WAS (IAD/DCA)
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

Rai

RE: Cities With More Than One Full Service Airport

Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:28 pm

London (LHR/LGW)
Tokyo (HND/NRT)
Seoul (ICN/SEL Kimpo)
Shanghai (Pudong/ Hongqio -- I don't know the codes)

IMissPiedmont

Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:35 pm

Midway is a "secondary" airport? That's cute.

Anyway Washington also has BWI, Los Angeles has BUR, LGB and SNA, the San Francisco area has SFO/OAK and to an point SJC (pushing distance a bit on SJC though), Miami has MIA and FLL, Dallas/Ft Worth has DFW and DAL and Houston has IAH and HOU.

I add airports that technically are in other cities but fall well within the catchment of the metropolis.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

HlywdCatft

Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:39 pm

Detroit has DTW and FNT (Flint)

Sounds funny, but I don't think it is any different than FLL and MIA.

Several people from Detroit's northern suburbs now use Flint Bishop airport since Flint is pratically a Detroit suburb.

azo

Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:41 pm

If you are stretching all the way up to Flint then I suppose you could include Toledo Express as well, though I don't know how the fares differ or if people from southern Wayne and Monroe county actually use it.
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

Mexicana757

Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:51 pm

how is midway a secondary airport?????

IMissPiedmont

Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:02 pm

I believe Hlywd is correct. I did not mention Detroit because I do not know the area at all. There are more such examples I'm sure.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

skiordie

Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:22 pm

All this noise about including a 2nd airport that might be in the city.

2 of New York's airports are within the city limits. The 3rd is physically as close but is on the other side of the line, on some map (Top Gun swager here).

Remeber, its so nice they named it twice.

Others
2 baseball teams
2 football teams
2 basketball teams
3 hockey teams
5 train systems

Sorry for the horn blowing here, but their really is alot going on here!

Skiordie...

HlywdCatft

Fri Sep 20, 2002 2:52 pm

For Detroit you could count Detroit City Airport if they ever got their $hit together. They had Southwest service in the early 90s, USAir Express service in the mid 90s and was Pro Airs main base in the late 90s.

There has been talk about more passenger service coming back to City Airport, but I doubt it will happen since they can't lengthen the main runway due to a cemetary on each end.

I still think that Pontiac Airport could some day be a DTW reliever- They regularly handle A320s with their 3X weekly Daimler Chrysler flights direct to Germany. Other aircraft as big as 727s fly in their regularly too.

paulc

Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:21 pm

How about Milan (Malpensa or Linate) Moscow (Sheremetyvo/Vnukovo/Domodedavo) Belfast (Aldergrove/Belfast City)
Sao Paulo(Conghonas/+other and Rio de Janeiro (Santos Dumont+Garhulos sp?) Bueno Airies (Aeroparque/Ezeiza)
English First, British Second, european Never!

zrs70

Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:40 pm

How is midway secondary? Because it is not the "main" airport that serves Chicago.

BUR does not cut it for the LA area, but I would count SNA. DAL is very much secondary. Detroit City is a certainly another Detroit airport, but it hardly qualifies in this thread. Let's read my post again: "Which cities have more than one FULL service commercial airport... where neither is considered "secondary."

Flint??? Are you serious?  Smile

New York has more than one primary airport.

Does the airport have an airline VIP club, does the airport split arrivals/ departures, does the airport have widebody traffic?

Sure, WN may have 10000 flights a day out of an airport, but I would still consider it a secondary airport if it not the airport that first comes to mind when you think of the city.

UAL747

Fri Sep 20, 2002 3:43 pm

DFW and Dallas Love Field. Both are full service airports offering several different airlines for International and Domestic services. While Dallas Love is mostly dominated by Southwest, it does offer service on AA, DL, and CO.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

flyboy36y

Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:39 pm

You could add ISP to NY. It's growing fast.

YVR74

Fri Sep 20, 2002 4:59 pm

Interesting topic, but I would disagree with one statement. I grew up in the southern United States and have traveled in and out of quite a few Southern cities. If wide body activity or airline VIP clubs are indicators of a primary airport, then some cities such as JAN and LIT have no primary airports at all!

If you are looking strictly at passenger service, until the arrival of KLM several years ago to MEM, there was no wide body service whatsoever to MEM. Of course there is a host of wide body activity with the FedEx base, and now in addition to KLM, NW has several daily DC-10 services between MEM and MSP. I always found the lack of wide body service disappointing, considering that MEM was/is a hub city for a major US airline.

Having lived in the area for many years before moving to Canada, it was always a bit of a disappointing place to plane spot from a variety perspective considering nearly 85% of the traffic was operated by NW and NW Airlink and most of that traffic was 727 and DC-9 service. If you are into the DC-9, it still is a good place to see many examples, although I do not know if there are still good places to park and watch through the fence.

aguimar01464

Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:19 pm

sao paulo = congonhas and guarulhos
rio de janeiro=santos dumont and galeao

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:29 pm

South Florida (Metro Miami) has MIA, FLL, PBI.

paulc

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:11 pm

Thanks Aquimar - i could not remember all 4 of them  Smile

Have thought of some more though

Taipei (CKS) and Sung Shan
Orlando (MCO) and Sandford
Stockholm (Arlanda and Bromma)
Olso (Gardermoen & Fornebu until its recent closure)

English First, British Second, european Never!

luzezito

Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:43 pm

Moscow:
Sheremetevo airport (Europe, Asia, America). Recently equipped for Cat III landings.
Domodedovo (Asia, Eastern Europe, Old USSR Republics) By the way just refurbished and worth a try!
Quoniam Vita Brevis Est, Propera!

wilax

Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:27 am

The author of this post asked for non-secondary airports, and I think he meant two or more equal airports. In no way is MDW equal to ORD--no international traffic, no large aircraft--DCA equal to IAD--same reason. True they both handle a large number of pax, but they are not interchangeable like EWR and JFK, which is probably the only US example.

mrlineguy

Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:58 am

Wilax,

Have you visited MDW lately? ATA currently operates (or has announced) service from MDW to Aruba, Cancun, Grand Caymen, Guadalajara, Montego Bay, Puerto Vallarta, San Juan. These are all INTERNATIONAL destinations. In addition to ATA providing non-stop flights to INTERNATIONAL destinations, Mexicana also serves MDW with non-stop flights to Zacatecas, Morelia, and Guadalajara.

Yes, MDW does not see "large aircraft" (i.e. 767's or A330's) but MDW does handle 757-200's and 757-300's (ATA's 757's are categorized as "Heavy" aircraft). MDW is no ORD but it plays a significant role in Chicago air transportation.

MrLineGuy
More right rudder...

zrs70

Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:00 am

Wilax is correct with his/ her assesment of my post. Except that I would put DCA and IAD as equal. DCA is in no way similar to Midway, Burbank, Love, Hobby, etc.

azo

Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:01 am

No international? I thought MDW got flights from Mexicana from MEX?
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

dia77

Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:03 am

I totally agree with MrLineGuy. As a Chicagoan, I hardly consider Midway to be "secondary". You can fly from MDW to just about every major US city, and several Caribbean/Mexican destinations.

thomacf

Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:06 am

If people are going to say FLL/MIA, SFO/SJC and DTW/FNT, then you can count CLE and CAK. Years ago you could say CLE/BKL when Wright Airlines and a couple other small carriers had scheduled service into BKL.

Mexicana757

Sat Sep 21, 2002 2:43 am

Very well said MrLineguy. Thank you for clearing that up for those who dont see MDW as a full service airport. They need to go visit the airport sometime.  Big thumbs up

Goldenshield

Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:30 am

I dont believe anyone listed IAH and HOU, and EFD (major freight hub).

On another note, how does having a club make it major?? Thats like saying just becuase a hose doesnt come with a spray handle, its worthless.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

deltairlines

Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:39 am

Boston has both Logan Int'l and Bedford/Hanscom. While BED is not in BOS, it is practically within the I-95 Circuit, which is the unofficial Boston (kind of like London and the M-25). While BED has flights only to PHL, TTN, PSM, and HPN on US Airways Express and Pan Am, several charters go through there, including the Boston Bruins and I remember a North American 737-800 landing there a year ago.

Jeff

N766UA

Sat Sep 21, 2002 4:54 am

BKL is a full service airport in Cleveland, it just doesn't get any airlines. Lots of corporate stuff though.
This Website Censors Me

zrs70

Sat Sep 21, 2002 5:12 am

For Heaven's sake, folks, how many times can I ask the same question? I am not looking for you guys to name all the airports that serve a city. BED? Give me a break! Hanscom Field is NOT the main airport serving Boston. BLK is not the main airport serving Cleveland. And MDW is not the main airport serving Chicago.

But NYC has 3 main airports. Washington has 2 and arguably 3.

Full service was a poor choice of phrases on my part, and I accept that. But I think you know what I am talking about.

Mexicana757

Sat Sep 21, 2002 5:39 am

well your NYC list having three main airports you can scratch it out. because EWR is not in NYC it serves NEWARK. LGA you can compare it to MDW, so that only leaves you with JFk.

dia77

Sat Sep 21, 2002 5:41 am

Zrs70,

You claim that DCA and LGA are major airports (which they absolutely are). However, you can't even fly to the second largest city in the US (LAX) from either of those airports. While it's obvious that MDW is not on par with ORD (how many airports have 2 major hubs of 2 major airlines), at least you can fly to just about any major US city from MDW. MDW definitely has a niche that it serves (besides being the airport for low fare carriers). No one on the south side of Chicago would want to drive to ORD if they can fly out of MDW.

zrs70

Sat Sep 21, 2002 6:12 am

Mexicana757:

Using your criteria re: EWR, let's count this out:

CVG is not in Cincinnati, therefore it is not Cincinnati's airport
SEA is not in Seatle or Tacomma, therefore....
IAD is not in Washington, therefore....
DFW is in neither...., therefore......

kapish?

DIA77:
Point well taken about MDW serving much of those on South Side. The DCA/LGA restictions certainly contsrain them, but those facilities are still the primary airports for much of the traffic into the cities they serve.

Look, I would much rather fly out of BUR than out of LAX. But my prefference of BUR does not make it the main airport of LA.

wilax

Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:18 am

Please allow me to retort. MDW is a full service, busy airport without a doubt,but that is not the question. Is it interchangeable with ORD!? You can get some international destinations from MDW, but try London or Tokyo and they will put you on a bus to O'Hare. It is the same deal with DCA, HOU, DET, DAL, SNA, BDL, etc.

THE ONLY US CITY WITH MORE THAN ONE AIRPORT WHICH NEITHER ONE IS CONSIDERED SECONDARY IS NEW YORK!