ola

How Much Do Airlines Pay For A Delayed Flight?

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:01 pm

Air France's 744 made a stop in Helsinki on Sunday. Now I'd like to know how much bonification airlines pay to passengers if plane is delayed for example 3 hours, because of extra stop? I don't mean any "sick passenger" case, but some fuel problems or something that has nothing to do with passengers. I'm sure that they want their money back for this kind of cases...

richardw

RE: How Much Do Airlines Pay For A Delayed Flight?

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:05 pm

the terms and conditions of carriage probably exclude such claims, they only state that it is their intention to transport u from A to B.

NZ767

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:22 pm

No compensation at all nor should there be.
I'm sure there would've been a perfectly good reason for this diversion and if compensation issues came into play in a case like this, it could lead to risks being taken to avoid thoses costs.
As Richard says, it's all written in the terms of carriage.
Just as a sidenote, do you realise that airlines have no obligation to transport you by air?
This covers them should an aircraft go u/s and they have to put buses on instead.

goingboeing

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:33 pm

HOnestly, they'd want their money back because the flight diverted because of a fuel/mechanical problem???? Would they or their families not have sued had the pilots disregarded any potential safety problem and continued towards the destination, only to be "forced" down by a problem that was known by the flight crew several hours earlier? They should pay and are required to pay NOTHING. I suppose they could have pulled an "Air Transat" and dead sticked into a remote airfield should the problem have been ignored. MAn Ola, you sound almost AMERICAN with this "how much should they get paid" mantra.

contrails

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:43 pm

Compensation for an unscheduled stop due to a "fuel problem"? That's a bit much, imo.

I'm sure I'd be unhappy about the delay, but I'd enjoy seeing an airport I otherwise wouldn't be seeing. And I'd be grateful for not being over the middle of the Atlantic when the problem happened.

Live is too short to stew over something like this.

Flying Colors Forever!

bobnwa

Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:54 pm

Ola,
Do you think any compensation is due? I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Does compensation make the extra stop go away or make it go faster. There are 24 hours in the day. Each hour has to be spent somewhere.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:00 pm

Money back for the situation (s) you described is not going to happen regardless of the length of the delay. Compensation may be forthcoming and could range widely depending on the individual airline. In some instances, a monetary voucher may be offered or frequent flyer miles or a voucher for a free trip (extreme cases) or maybe even just a letter of apology. But to answer your question, yes, delays do cost the airlines money. In fact, Gordon Bethune-CO indicated the his airline saved at least 6 million dollars annually when their airline operated as on-time as possible. Costs can really start racking up when airlines delay passengers making connections, especially International connections because now the airline needs to "protect" these passengers on other (full) flights and quite often on other airlines. There are too many situations to enumerate here regarding the cost to airlines associated with delayed flights. It's simply good business for an airline to run on-time.

aa777flyer

Fri Sep 20, 2002 11:02 pm

I am not sure of the exact verbage, but most airlines print in the "Contract of Carriage" something like this. Airline schedules times are not guarenteed and airlines may alter or omit stops along the route of flight"

Basically NO compensation is REQUIRED, but most airlines as a gesture of good will will do something.
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!

ola

Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:45 am

OK. I was just a little bit thoughtless when I wrote this. Big grin

jhooper

Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:05 am

Just as a sidenote, do you realise that airlines have no obligation to transport you by air?

That's very interesting. Man would I be upset if my HOU-MCO flight was cancelled and they put me on a bus. They better not charge me more than Greyhound!
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

NZ767

Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:07 am

LOL, that's nothing.
Imagine something like JFK-LHR.
Start rowing!! Big grin

gkirk

Sat Sep 21, 2002 3:14 am

JFK-LHR on Bannana Air....I would demand compensation for that!  Big thumbs up
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos