bobcat

Armed Pilot & Armed Marshal Together, A Bad Idea?

Sat Sep 21, 2002 8:27 am

Having armed pilot & marshall together on the same plane... Is this a bad idea? What is there is an actual armed would-be hijacker on board as well?

MD88Captain

RE: Armed Pilot & Armed Marshal Together, A Bad Idea?

Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:08 am

What is it with you guys and armed pilots? The pilots are not going to leave the cockpit armed or unarmed. Armed pilots would defend the cockpit only and then only if it is breached. Armed pilots with air marshals onboard means the cockpit will not be breached. Therefore the pilots will not be involved outside their normal safety of flight duties.

bobcat

Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:16 am

That's not why I asked the question. I'm 100% for arming airline pilots.  Smile

goingboeing

Sat Sep 21, 2002 10:32 am

Arm the pilots and get the Jethro Bodine "double naught spies" out of the cabin

OPNLguy

Sat Sep 21, 2002 12:35 pm

MD88Captain said:
>>>The pilots are not going to leave the cockpit armed or unarmed.

That may be the way all the proposals (and eventual procedures) say it's supposed to work. Someday, should a perp in the back start killing pax and/or FAs off in an attempt to get up front, I think it's inevitable human nature that one of the flight deck crew is going to come out and attempt to stop the immediate carnage, despite whatever the manuals say about everyone aft of the cockpit door being "expendable" until the aircraft gets on the ground.

I know all they reasons they shouldn't come out, I just don't know how reasonable it is to expect someone's being able to ignore what's happening in the back.

I pray the you or any other crew is never in the situation...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

fly_emirates

Sat Sep 21, 2002 1:21 pm

bobcat,

i am a flight attendant and i am 100% against arming pilot. true i am not working in an american carrier, but i dont think that it makes a difference. if pilots are armed today, then other fellow flight attendants will say "oh, why is it that pilots are armed, and not FA's?" now we dont want that to happen