Lizard Delayed Air New Zealand Flight

Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:39 am

A Small Lizard was spotted on a Air New Zealand flight yesterday (22.09.02) arriving back from the islands , The Aircraft was on its way to Sydney from Auckland but had to be delayed an hour in order to find the small creature .

The aircraft plans to be fumigated tomorrow if the Lizard is not found in the meantime.

Taken from the NZ HEARLD

nzjet100

RE: Lizard Delayed Air New Zealand Flight

Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:12 am

Lizards are totally harmless! Why such a big deal????

NZ767

Mon Sep 23, 2002 6:18 am

They're not harmless to the wiring in an aircraft.
There are also the obvious quarantine reasons, especially so for us as we rely heavily on primary agriculture.

Mon Sep 23, 2002 2:25 pm

It was because the Australian Quarantine Rules and officials would not let the aircraft depart to Australia with a Lizard on board don't ask me why ...

Rego was ZK-NBB I think

nzjet100

crazyboi

Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:09 pm

Everett,

The agricultural quarantine regulations in Australia and NZ are very severe. When I moved [from California] to Sydney a couple of years ago they refused my old leather coat (animal product). They'll fine you for candy and airline snacks and they've begun to x-ray every bag that enters the country (the searches are no longer random).

Last time I arrived at Sydney, as my clothes and things were spread out atop the inspection table, I asked the agent about the extreme policy and was informed that (as Nz767 said) Australia and NZ's economies are largely based on agriculture. So they're extra protective.
This is the time. And this is the record of the time.

QANTAS747-438

Mon Sep 23, 2002 4:14 pm

Yeah, they are very protective. When I arrived in Sydney, they inspected a bag of Snickers and Cheez-its I had brought along! They're tough but fair!
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos