Dash8King
Topic Author

Wesjet Adds Non-stop YYZ-YVR Service

Tue Sep 24, 2002 8:38 am

FLYGUY

RE: Wesjet Adds Non-stop YYZ-YVR Service

Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:09 am

I go to college in Toronto but live in Vancouver so I commute between the two cities at least once a month so I will DEFINATELY choose Westjet. Over the past month or so, I've flown AC Mainline twice, Tango once, and Jetsgo and all fall short of the friendly service that WJ provide; they've won my business out of this concrete jungle called Toronto Embarrassment

FLYGUY

a380

Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:31 am

So will there be 4 YYZ-YYC flights each day soon? Have they used up their slots in YYZ?

lymanm

Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:35 am

I don't think AC has much to worry about...but Jetsgo on the other hand...!!!
buhh bye

sayem55

Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:44 am

What type of aircrafts will they use …. B737ng?
StarFighter

AWspicious

Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:59 am

Based on the aritcle, I suspect the B737-700s will be used.

aw
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

dripstick

Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:05 pm

They may use the two Delta B738s as well. They are apparently keeping them until December from what I hear.

I had the pleasure of taking the 800 from YHM to YYC and then YYC to YYZ. Tons of legroom and comfy leather.  Big thumbs up

Dripstick
What's another word for thesaurus?

yyz717

Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:29 pm

The 732 could not handle YYZ-YVR nonstop without severe payload restrictions.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Dash8King
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:10 pm

What are the competition's fares on this route?

Tennisace

Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:22 pm

So would one assume from this announcement that the eastern expansion is pushed back again (Halifax, Monteal, St. John's)????????? Seems like they're going where the money is..........not that that's a bad thing.

lymanm

Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:42 pm

Everyone knows WJ is doing this route for prestige!
buhh bye

yyz717

Tue Sep 24, 2002 9:19 pm

Not only that Lymann, but WJ is also deliberately avoiding the YUL market.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

captaingomes

Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:39 pm

Of course they are avoiding the YUL market. It's a low cost airline, not a no cost airline. They still have to make a business case out of it! YUL has too low a PCI even for Westjet. Let Jetsgo suffer the consequences.  Smile
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

JetCaptain

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:06 am

Does anyone know how many weekly flights Skyservice and Air Transat operate between YYZ-YVR as well ? Just curious.

flyyul

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:49 am

Surely Montreal deserves NO SERVICE with Westjet.

Forget the fact that there are 5 million people in this market that travel abroad in Canada. Forget that Air Canada only flies YUL-YVR 3 times in the winter, 4 times in the summer. Forget that WJ makes a profit in the smallest of communities.

In a perfect world, airlines would flock to the most viable of routes, but that is NEVER the case. Each airline acts upon competition, threat, and media exposure. Fantastic, now there are 4 airlines flying YYZ-YVR, compared to 1 on YUL-YVR. Surely, YYZ-YVR Must be 4 times more profitable, and surely YYZ deserves about 25 flights a day, compared to the 3 from Montreal. Now thats a joke, you know it, and I know it.

But let me bet what your response is going to be "YUL's PCI blah blah".. BULL... its always been the battle of Toronto. And EVERY airline that has tried to compete with AC's hub in Toronto, has FAILED. History will repeat itself..

Why WestJet wont fly to Montreal. its french just like every Canadian is scared of this market. They dont like Dorval, but they fly into Pearson which is 3X more expensive, and again its french. They know fully well that there is a market for them here (its the 2nd largest Canadian market, the no.3 airport).. but SURELY THUNDER BAY IS SO MUCH MORE VIABLE... comeone!

Neil, Lynman and all your ego-centric Torontonians buddies that are caught in your little bubbles, I challenege you to keep your arrogant mouthes shut before you spoil yet another thread, with your immature and prejudice comments. Its hurtful as a Canadian to know that there are people like that have this attitude. So I suggest is that you get over yourselves, and stop this bitter feud, because your going to get everybody cranky. Please stop this!

Hey for the record, hasnt JETSGO reported a profit.... good job!

Mark

captaingomes

Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:03 am

Jetsgo isn't a publicly traded company, so they can say what they want. Until they are publicly traded and are being scrutinized by all sorts of governing bodies and have to follow strict accounting standards, I will not have any faith in what ML says regarding its profitability.

Mark, relax. Lymamn isn't from Toronto, so you can exclude him. Also, why do you take this YUL stuff so seriously? All Neil, Lymamn, other users and I are doing is trying to get a rise out of you! And it works!

Why did Westjet choose YYZ instead of YUL? I dunno. Write them a letter, maybe they will tell you! Maybe there is more money to be made in Toronto. Maybe the market is crowded, but many companies are often cocky, and their whole intention is to see others fail, so they can pick up the pieces. Maybe Westjet is thinking they can kill Jetsgo by flying direct YVR to YYZ. But again, I dunno. It's all speculation on my part.

"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

Rai

Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:21 am

This is great news for my parents who live in Edmonton. One of the reasons they don't like coming to visit me is because they hate flying with Air Canada. WestJet will give them more options. At least they can get to Toronto avoiding AC...getting down to New York is another issue though

Does WestJet have any intention of flying to the U.S.? Do they have a codeshare with any airline here?

a380

Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:20 am

WJ doesn't have any regular flights to the US now. I think WJ is unlikely to code share with anybody (just like Southwest, JetBlue) However I believe WJ will eventually fly to the US.

fallingeese

Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:37 am

Great news for Westjet, this at a time when they are building a second hangar, this time in Hamilton. More Eastern routes are on the horizon.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

donder10

Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:49 am

Guys keep up the YUL banter.It's all good fun.When would the Westjet YYZ-YVR flight times be as I wouldnt mind spending a day in YVR next summer.

Cap'n Dan

Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:17 am

FLYYUL: Did you know that Lymanm lives in Montreal? So do I, and I agree with him wholeheartedly.

C-GRYK

RE: Westjet Adds Non-stop YYZ-YVR Service

Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:17 am

Uh oh, whaddya know? The Montreal users are getting angry, nothing out of the usual on this forum.

Look, this is going to be my first long post in months, but let me tell you, I have been watching the forum over the summer while I was away and all I'm seeing are the same arguments from FLYYUL.

Mark, it just seems you can't accept the airline service you already have in your city..... why not? It's not like you are going to utilize half the routes you want YUL to get, it's not like you are going to be one who is going to make these routes profitable, but you desperately want to see routes and added frequencies in the YUL market. Yes, maybe Montreal can support a few extra flights, but really, what is it to you? Do you have such a tight schedule that you the flexibility of an extra 5th daily flight to YVR in the summer? Do you even go to Vancouver often? I've never been one to really want an airline to fly to Toronto except for Virgin, because I go to the UK once or twice a year and nowadays, I'm always on Virgin (had to route through JFK this summer).

Sure it's nice to be able to spot more planes, but airlines don't open up routes to please spotters, if you want more planes to spot, come to Toronto (hahaha) or really, JFK or MIA or LAX or ORD...

It really does seem you guys have an incredible resentment towards Toronto, it even reeks of jealousy to me, and I have no clue why, I'll be the first person to say I have a soft spot for London, England that is much larger than Toronto in my heart. My city is nice, but none of us go around actually saying "Toronto is a better city than Montreal," no people are saying "you have to realize Toronto is a much larger market for aviation" which you just can't seem to handle.

You can't admit that service is adequate in YUL because YYZ has 2 or 3 or 4 times the amount of flights on certain routes and Toronto isn't 2 or 3 or 4 times more populous than Montreal. There are many factors that determine the scope of aviation markets, population isn't the only one.

But of course, YUL has so much business, it's such a wonderful city, Toronto steals all the routes you should get and Air Canada has some conspiracy against Montreal.

It would be nice to see if some of the more senior Montreal users of this forum can respond to you, because I don't picture them being so uptight and glossy about Montreal. Your city is what it is, now get on with it. There are no conspiracy theories, if AC thought it could make money on more flights from YUL, THERE WOULD BE MORE FLIGHTS FROM YUL!!!! How hard is that to fathom? Gee, why doesn't Toronto have a flight to Johannesburg when there are some South Africans here? Why doesn't Toronto get a flight to Delhi because there are some Indians here? Surely there are enough Indians who would fill up the flight year round, but it wouldn't be making money because they wouldn't be paying ridiculous fares to fly unrestricted economy or 2 day advance booking.

Get a grip children, and get on with life, you guys live in some YUL aviation fantasy world.

Jeremy
Think before you type!

YVR74

Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:20 am

"When would the Westjet YYZ-YVR flight times be as I wouldn't mind spending a day in YVR next summer."

WJ 683 will depart YYZ at 18:15 and arrive YVR at 20:35 daily except for Sat.

WJ 682 will depart YVR at 9:55 and arrive YYZ at 17:30 daily except for Sat.

This is based on information taken from the WestJet website.

thehangarcat

Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:55 am

Why no WJ service in Montreal?

It's simple, It's all about negotiations... We didn't go into YYZ until we had the agreement that would benefit us most favorably... surely everyone remembers WestJet's plan to go into YYZ as far back as '99 (Zip's Steve Smith, when he was working for WestJet said that himself back then, along with Montreal Halifax and St. john's). We waited until it was good for us to begin YYZ service and we did it.

The reason why we don't go into Montreal yet is airport negotiations. Maybe YUL isn't giving us the deals we want (maybe there's some behind the scenes back scratching between Aeroports De Montreal and AC... for all you conspiracy theorists).. YUL is too expensive and YHU doesn't have a terminal big enough to support WJ service and nevermind YMX. We'll go in when the time is right and the money too.

I read in Canada.com that ADM is considering taking over administration of YHU as well as YMX and YUL. Will that speed up eventual WJ service in Montreal or delay it further? stay tuned.

Here's another way to look at it, YQB was quoted in the Soleil saying that they'd be willing to lower landing fees just to get WJ in so maybe there's another factor to the delayed expansion into la belle provence. Sometimes costs aren't the only reason. We don't have enough french speaking crew. Isn't it true that all cabin messages in flights originating in QC (and flying out of it) have to be in french first and then in english? Think of the logistics involved in that... We just don't have enough francophones working at WJ to cover that necessity.

Many factors contribute to where and when WJ fly to, I think that the last thing on the minds of marketing and planning is:

"Give lower fares to those damn frenchies? NEVER! they can have their precious Air Canada and like it"

You'll see a WJ plane in QC soon, WJ expands slowly but surely, we're the tortoise as opposed to the hare (or bee he he...bzzzz zip).

paix, mes amis de Montréal, et la patience aussi.

Peace,
TheHangarCat
If it Ain't Boeing, I ain't Going!

Rai

Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:16 am

Hey, HangarCat: Any possibility for U.S. expansion?

captaingomes

Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:26 am

Re: U.S. expansion. This is the next level for airlines such as Westjet, Southwest and Jetblue. This is an untapped market and has really good potential, since it's mainly the big boys who play in the transborder market.

If Westjet could secure an agreement with Southwest, that would be of great benefit to all parties involved. I'm sure both airlines have thought of this, and will do something to that effect when they feel the time is right.

thehangarcat

Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:37 am

No US expansion anytime soon.... There's too many other cities to explore in canada first before going X-border.

That article quoting a WJ exec on US expansion was someone putting words in someone's mouth.

Not gonna happen... not anytime soon.. can you imagine how pissed cdn peoeple would be if they began serving US cities before places like say, Montreal or YHZ or even YYT.

Peace,
TheHangarCat

If it Ain't Boeing, I ain't Going!

captaingomes

Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:46 am

LOL HangarCat, your point is evident right here on airliners.net on a regular basis. However, I would think that it would be a smart strategic move, if not to expand into the trans border market, to at least study it. To reap the benefits though, it would have to be a major expansion, and it would involve tremendous risk. Trans border traffic has dropped significantly since September 11th, and it is one of the main sources of Air Canada's troubles, since they were very strong in that market. But just as in many other routes passengers have gone away from the mainline carries, and have flocked to the low cost airlines in droves. This could also happen with trans border passengers, although possibly not to the same extent.

The biggest gain that Westjet might see is to have strategic flights to connect to the network that Southwest serves in the U.S. and Southwest would in return have access to the Canadian destinations that Westjet serves.

I'm not pretending to know more about the market than Westjet, just thinking out loud.  Smile

C-GRYK

Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:51 am

Hey Nuno,

"I'm not pretending to know more about the market than Westjet, just thinking out loud"

I wish more people in this forum would say/admit that!

Jeremy
Think before you type!

flyyul

Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:37 am

Thats not true about beeing predominantly French first... not at all..

Mark

yyz717

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:29 pm

Anyway, from only 4 daily YYZ flights in May, WJ is growing to 7 daily before Christmas. Clearly YYZ is a profitable market for WJ.

Once again, it would appear that YUL-YVR/YYC/YEG is adequately (if sparsely) served, as indicated by WJ's continued absense and lack of interest. No amount of hot-headed YUL indignation appears to be influencing that either.

AWspicious

Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:08 pm

You guys are gonna give poor ole Mark an aneurysm!  Laugh out loud
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

flyyul

Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:39 pm

Neil,

I know you want to get under my skin. I know your trying to provoke me, but I know one day you and I will sit face to face and have respect for eachother.

WestJet will be viable in Montreal.... one day. They cant avoid this market, while it is not Toronto, it is still large, a mega-tourist destination in the summer, and one that is very "friendly" with Canada. If WJ suceeds in Kelowna, in Ottawa, in Moncton, in Thunder Bay, Westjet will one day serve Montreal.. there are impasses at this point but dont attribute them to "Montreal's PCI blah blah blah"... comeone, you and I know better..

I am hoping one day we can open a peaceful and diplomatic dialogue!

Dash8King
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:46 pm

I think they would make a good living here in YZF maybe after they get to YUL and YTT they will serve here.

Jayce

Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:19 pm

I think Vancouver to Toronto is traditionally one of the most tried and true routes in Canada, just like Toronto to Montreal, or Edmonton to Calgary. If WestJet was flying YYZ-YYC I think it was only a matter of time before they added YYZ-YVR flights. And its only a matter of time until they add the beautiful city of Montreal to their schedules. I don't think they are purposely avoiding YUL. That sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theory to me.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

flyyul

Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:37 pm

"I don't think they are purposely avoiding YUL. That sounds like a paranoid conspiracy theory to me."

And I never said this..... some people are trying to put words in our mouthes. I just wish these guys were here..

Mark

flyyul

Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:15 am

It was GMonney's that got me upset, and GOT A WHOLE bunch of Montrealers of the Montreal spotters real upset.

I suggest you stop using this if we want to remain a somewhat United country!

godbless

Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:51 am

A very cool thread, I learned a lot about my homeland's Aviation scene. Good to know even sitting here far away in Germany...

Max <=== proud Canadian  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Dash8King
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:56 am

If you go to my other thread you can read an article about WJ having charter flights to Cuba and Dominican Republic.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/931825/

Samurai 777

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:57 am

YYZ-YVR? Good news for WestJet, bad news for AC. I've got a couple of questions here.

Doe anyone know when WJ will finally serve YUL, YHU or YQB? I thought it'd be sometimes next year. Is there a delay?

How many more new 73G's will WJ put into service before the end of this year? And through 2003? While I understand that WJ is repositioning its newer 73G's to longer-haul routes like YYC-YHM and of course, YVR-YYZ. I'd love to see more 73G's on shorter-haul routes like YYC-YVR and YEG-YVR soon!

Marco

Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:09 am

I'm from Montreal and I agree with Neil, Lymanm and everybody else. My city is beautiful, but it wouldn't be economically viably for alot of airlines to fly here. Business traffic cannot be compared with Toronto. There is no conspiracy against YUL. Like Jeremy pointed out, why do you care so much? Sure it would be nice to see different airlines but thats not the way the world works. Mark you also said that you would like to have a civil dialogue face to face with Neil one day but have you noticed how you always attack people? Maybe you'd better change your attitude. Airlines are businesses, they do not fly to please spotters.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

Mark_D.

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:32 am

O cielo, another YUL-YYZ (a.k.a. Mtl vs T.O.) tempest in a teapot, around here. Just great  Laugh out loud

C-GRYK because I don't picture them being so uptight and glossy about Montreal. Your city is what it is, now get on with it.

Montreal's got a lot of problems --hey graffiti alone, where the heck did that come from, only been about the past five years or so, since that started rearing its head it any majorly-annoying way. But then I guess just the signs of the times for cities big and small, in this often-complicated and confused day and age. Again, just have to get on with it.

I like Mark (FLYYUL), though I do wish he'd address people more directly a lot of times (and not just here, but the Montreal Airports message board as well. See, so it's not just you YYZ guys alone, around here  Smile And I do think he goes somewhat over-the-top at times, with the Could-it-be-that-AC-hates-Montreal-generally line. But then if you wail on that, then you sort of have to also note that Neily (Yyz717) often posts some immature and inflammatory stuff here too, particularly in this particular little ongoing soap-opera-type battle. And then the piling on at times by other guys, like Pete (Delta-Flyer) saying stuff like "as for Quebec politics, it's always been of the ugly kind" and "I don't have a lot of sympathy for people living in North America who don't learn English" --hey Pete, I could say I don't have a lot of sympathy for millions on the continent --a lot of them Americans-- who can't even read let alone point out a country in Europe or Asia on a world map, but see, what the heck's the point in doing that. So, y'know.

Personally I don`t think YUL administrators or Montrealers generally have much right to complain about not getting additional flights out of YUL, until the airport gets its sh*t together a bit better which it slowly is, Transborder area area is a done deal already and --fingers crossed-- Int`l area will be in another two and a bit. That still leaves the Domestic area a bit of a dump, but I think that demand there is much more airport-ambiance-inelastic and anyway the province of Québec generally has to get its internal commercial aviation market sh*t together, I mean it`s just crazy that there aren`t at least a dozen Saab-340 or Bombardier Q-whatever non-AC JAZZ turboprops flying around, not just on the YUL<-->YQB trunk but also YBG<-->YUL, YBG<-->YQB, YVO-YUY-YUL, and at least a dozen internal routes which ought to be open to at least B1900 daily independent operator service (YUL or YQB to... YZV, YBC,YGP, YYY, YRJ) But oh well, Québec society still developing, might be another five years yet before this happens.

With regards to WestJet serving Montréal, I think it`s about a year or so away, at most. And I guess it`ll start off with flights to YOW, YQM and especially YHM, to tie connect with other WestJet flights from there. It`s going to be great. And thanks, HangarCat, for your words here, about a bit of what`s going on in that regard. Cheers.

Noise

Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:27 am

I expect WJ here in YUL by Jan. 2004, but no earlier than that. They might even go to YQB before YUL, wouldn't be surprised to see that either. Flights to YHZ will come soon(Dec 2002), and flights to YYT a little later.

Neil, what Gmonney said while ago was wrong, it WAS racist and it should not have been said on this forum. If you agree with him using that term,you should stop bringing that up!

flyyul

Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:40 am

Ok Marco,

Youre right, im wrong. There is nothing about montreal, my attitude needs to change. And yes, THUNDER BAY IS A MORE VIABLE market than Montreal. Thank you for that lesson in realization 101..

There;s just one thing that I dont agree with. Its the perception that Montreal is no greater than say the size of Moncton. That kind of attitude is unacceptable, you know it, I know it!

Lets stop this.......

Mark

Skywatcher

Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:35 am

I was surprised to hear about a WJ YYZ-YVR flight. It goes against the quick turn-around, low cost airport, short-haul model that has been their strategy so far.
Even SW, which is much more mature and way larger, is only recently dipping it's toes into long-haul flights.

I wonder what kind of internal WJ politics is at play here. There must be a fair amount of risk involved in this decision. What happens if the 737ng sits on a runway for an hour at YYZ ? You can't make much money sitting on the ground burning fuel and not going anywhere.

It'll be interesting to see if WJ's profit growth continues at the same phenomenal rate as has been the case so far.

As far as YHZ, YUL and YYT service by WJ goes, there are now 2 competitors to deal with in each market compared to only one a year ago. Even AC has been surprisingly innovative during the last year.
I think WJ may have missed their best opportunity to initiate service in the aforementioned markets. It'll only get tougher as time passes.

Is WJ starting to slip ?

IMHO there is definate,repetitive YUL-bashing here by a handful of members. It provokes an (overly?) emotional response. I suspect that if the provocative comments stop then the impassioned rebuttals will as well.

I won't hold my breath however.

lymanm

Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:46 am

Stop?!!?!!?!? Hahahahaha, nevarrr! This board provides more entertainment than 2h of bland network TV.
buhh bye

FLYGUY

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:14 am

I was at Union street station in Toronto tonight and the subway station is smothered in WestJet billboards; they've went all out with their markings on the floor, billboards, and even turnstyles.

I know this might be a big off topic, but they had some really cool sayings all over the place there with westjet planes beside them; I thought I'd share them with you. As a Vancouver boy, I got a chuckle out of them:

"It turns out Toronto didn't have everything"

"Don't freak out when we smile at you"

"Now you know why westerners are always so darn happy"

FLYGUY

fly_yhm

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:29 am

Noise
I don't expect to see YHZ this year I would say maybe more march 2003 is my guess. I hope this year though or atleast something else in the east.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

captaingomes

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:56 am

Skywatcher, you have some valid points. However, you must realize that very short sectors, which Westjet was doing a lot of, have seen a tremendous decline in passengers, thanks mainly to the security tax paid by passengers. This means that it is much tougher for an airline to compete on very short flights, because the costs are dispropotionately greater than with long haul flights, since the tax is a nominal fee. I'm sure this is part of the reason why Westjet is doing more long haul flights, such as YYZ-YVR.

yyz717

Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:51 pm

It was GMonney's that got me upset, and GOT A WHOLE bunch of Montrealers of the Montreal spotters real upset.

No FLYYUL, the only person who EVER gets upset and blows his top on this column regularly is you.

All everyone does is correct your opinions about how underserved YUL is. We don't bad mouth YUL (why would we? It's just another city).