mirrodie

Emergency Drilling At Kisp MacArthur Airport.

Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:07 am

On Sunday 9/22, there were many teams of surrounding neighborhood emergency vehicles on the runway at ISP.

As we later found out, they were practicing emergency scenarios on the runway. Once we checked in for our flight, we saw 2 dozen ambulances surrounding a Continental ERJ on the runway.

My question is, when doing procedures like that, is an airplane necessary??? Do the airlines simply volunteer a jet for this to take place??

The ERJ was later towed away.

Just FYI. cool to see.

the rest of my trip report is in that respective forum.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

mirrodie

RE: Emergency Drilling At Kisp MacArthur Airport.

Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:06 am

"when doing procedures like that, is an airplane necessary??? Do the airlines simply volunteer a jet for this to take place??"

Any Continental Airlines folks care to comment?
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Tbird

RE: Emergency Drilling At Kisp MacArthur Airport.

Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:16 am

Greetings:

That is weid, ISP use to have a beat old Covair that they use to practice their emergency drills on. I guess the next best thing to a beat up old plane is a brand new plane. Was the drill at night or during the day? I can see an airline letting them use a plane at night since all ISP's evening arrivals overnight and the plane is just sitting there anyway, but during the day an ERJ is a pretty busy aircraft. Maybe ISP rented the plane from CO for the day.

Regards
Tom