Tom in NO
Topic Author

Hurricane Isadore-MSY-Airline Operations

Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:31 am

Guys,

I've got a request for the airline dispatch/ops people that populate the forums:

We at MSY are expecting Hurricane Isadore to make landfall south of us (along the Louisiana coastline) sometime early on Thursday.

The airlines will, no doubt, shut down operations to/from MSY sometime late on Wednesday (we've heard that already from SW and US). The station managers here are good about letting us know their individual situations.

My request is that if any of the airline dispatch/ops types have any other info regarding their ops in and out of MSY from now through Thursday or so to put them on this thread. I'll be in MSY's Emergency Operating Center full-time beginning Wednesday AM till this thing has passed.

We appreciate all your assistance, and your prayers.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

PS to Stephen at MSY and Mdsmith11: let me know if you guys are going to be here for the duration.
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

BR715-A1-30

RE: Hurricane Isadore-MSY-Airline Operations

Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:19 am

Tom, I feel the same way you do. I hope it isn't bad.
Puhdiddle

OPNLguy

Wed Sep 25, 2002 9:30 am

You pretty much know what I do...at this point.

Just an FYI, but the thing to watch as far as air carrier ops are the crosswind limits. Dry, it's 30 knots, wet it's 10 knots, for the 737 anyways...

Depending upon where the eye is relative to MSY, you could run into some interesting crosswind situations. If the storm is due south, moving north, you'll be able to operate longer with resultant winds 10030G40 than you would if the eye was SE of MSY, giving the airport winds of 04030G40 (out of we crosswind limits much earlier...

Good luck, and we'll pray it's not too bad...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

redngold

Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:55 am

Tom, you're in my prayers. And please realize that although I sometimes think it a novel idea to have a hurricane hit New Orleans, I know that it is potentially disastrous.

Batten down the hatches. Good luck,
redngold
Up, up and away!

MSY-MSP

Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:48 am

Tom, and the rest of the folks down at my old home,

I hope this one misses you like Georges missed us in 1998. I still have my family down there and like all people from New Orleans wont leave for a little category 1 storm. Let me know when MSY shuts down ops. Hope y'all fair well in the storm when it comes. I hope for the best for all of you.

MSY-MSP

As Cowboy Mouth says. "Its a Hurricane party out of control"

MSYtristar

Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:58 pm

Tom,

I'll be in tomorrow (wednesday) at 9:30am...staying to 3:00pm as of now.

Maybe I'll see ya around. Smile

Steve

brons2

Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:51 pm

I'll be driving in on Friday morning from Austin, Texas...hopefully it's not too bad or I may be delayed.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

KAUSpilot

Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:57 pm

going to the game eh brons? Good luck.

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:40 pm

We appreciate all the thoughts and prayers, as well as the updates. It looks like the system won't be quite as powerful as we originally thought, although it will be cutting it close, but we're still taking every precaution.

To those coming over for the Texas-Tulane game (Texas favored by 35, I think it'll be more than that), the weekend should be fine.

I'll keep you guys updated as we go along. I'll be going into work for the duration here shortly. I'm just taking care of some last minute stuff at the house. The in-laws took my wife and daughters to their house in northeast Louisiana this morning.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

DL WIDGET HEAD

Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:59 pm

DL is CNXL flts to and from MSY starting this afternoon.

drerx7

Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:12 pm

I go to school down there-I bounced yesterday (9/24/02) back home to Houston. I was more concerned about getting my car out since I stay on the 2nd floor of my building. The storm won't be that bad-just nasty flooding--I'm not a big enough fan of New Orleans to hang around for that.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:51 am

Tom,

You guys hanging on? Surfing (on the ramps) yet?  Big grin

Three in the air now will probably now go over the top to the next stop in the aircraft's rotation. We're starting to cancel some other flights now. All MSY RONs were canceled earlier.

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:12 am

Forecast surface winds 06025G35KT just dropped off to 05009.... Wonder if they're going to amend the forecast, or whether it's just a temporary abberation....

1209 FLL-MSY-OAK now will probably op FLL-OAK non-stop.

Looks like that transcon service is starting early...  Big grin

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:15 am

It's hang-ten time down here!!!

1) OPNLguy: thanks for the WN info.
2) AirTran is done for the day (as of this morning).
3) DL's last went out earlier this afternoon.
4) I'm hearing that CO may actually RON an aircraft tonight. Can any of the CO types confirm that?
5) I also heard that US has a CLT-MSY inbound scheduled for an 0845 arrival tomorrow.

Tom in NO (hanging-ten at MSY)

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:23 am

Out of the 3 in the air, one has landed at MSY, and the other 2 are due at about 2150z. :30 from now and will probably make it in/out. All other flights have been canceled for the rest of the day, as of now.

If the winds stay down, and the forecast is amended to reflect such, I'm guessing they might re-instate the flights whose aircraft RON.

Will keep you posted...

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:17 am

Last two airborne for MSY made it in OK (winds still down and within limits) and will make it out OK. All other flights canceled. May ferry some in (empty) later to night for morning originators, but no decision yet. New TAF due at 0000Z, so we'll see what it says...

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:04 am

We're done, no ferries tonight...

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:11 am

OPNLguy, as always, thanks for your input. I'm passing everything along in our EOC.

CO people, we're still hearing about 4 terminators here tonight, can anyone confirm this, also what are the equipment types?

Tom in NO (at MSY)

United_fan

Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:25 am

I see that UA cancelled thier flight 1275 (late flight)
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

ouboy79

Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:39 am

Isodore is going to be nothing more than a huge rain maker. There will be little effect from wind; comparable to a typical thunderstorm. The most damage will probably come from flooding through heavy rains -- which are already present over the southeast. Threat of tornadoes will exist in the NE quad of the storm -- mainly for MS/AL/FL coast.

If this does get back to a hurricane, it will only be a minimal hurricane at that. A lot of dry air is getting into this thing. Impact shouldn't be too bad...but someone did have to just go and build a city below sea level. UGH! LOL

Good luck  Smile

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:40 am

Just got back from CO's ticket counter, they will have 4 RON's at MSY tonight:
1) Flt 423 737-900 from IAH at 8:13PM
2) Flt 1423 MD-80 from IAH at 9:51PM
3) Flt 316 737-700 from EWR at 10:26PM
4) Flt 523 737-300 from IAH at 11:03PM

It's mighty breezy, and very wet around these parts.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:05 am

>>>PROB40 0612 VRB60KT 1/4SM +TSRA...

Hope things don't get too bad down there overnight....

After 13z, things look increasingly better...

ouboy79

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:15 am

Isidore is increasing forward speed and should be inland by sunrise. It likely will not reach hurricane strength. Nearly all of the strong convection is already inland and should beging moving north very rapidly. By Friday the storm will be located in Southeast Ohio and be a strong extratropical low.

A few confirmed tornadoes so far...so those and the rain will be the biggest threat for the rest of the night. MSY should be fine and ready to go in the morning.

Next up Lili which, if it can reorganize itself, will make an effort to head for South Florida or the Bahamas.

fly_yhm

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:38 am

Ouboy79
You sound like a hurricane tracker(Im as myself)

Tom in NO you should be ok scince its only a tropical storm their is one positive thing about this its going to give some much needed rain to the whole easter part of the U.S.A and some on southern Canada(where I live).

Good luck just in case though.
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

brons2

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:45 am

going to the game eh brons? Good luck.

Yep! (I lettered for Texas, and I never miss any games no matter where they are) With the increase of ground speed of the storm, it should be long gone by the time I arrive Friday afternoon. Now, hopefully the Queen and Crescent Hotel where I'm staying will be dry.

HOOK EM HORNS! BEAT TULANE!!!
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:22 pm

For Thursday morning...

First arrival is DAL-MSY 2388 at 0925 local.

First departure is MSY-LAS 2029 at 1000 local.

Everything prior to those times has been canceled...

Have a good night, and stay dry. Has the Coast Guard started issuing NOTAMs for the airport yet?  Big grin

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:40 pm

4 of us ventured out around 1800 local to get some food (conditions had let up quite a bit at the time, we're not that crazy down here!), and we told the guys that we were picking up food for that if we weren't back in an hour to notify the Coast Guard.  Smile

OPNLguy:Thanks for the WN headsup for tomorrow AM, I passed it along in the EOC. Working the late shift tonight?

Tom in NO (at MSY)

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:42 pm

Nope, just my normal 1500-2300, on the west coast this evening, and no fog at SAN (so far...) About to blow this pop stand in 15-20 minutes...

KAUSpilot

Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:46 pm

Every game huh? Did you go to Hawaii to watch the horns beat the Rainbows a few years back? my parents (alum) are making the trip down to NOLA, but I'm stuck here in austex. Hook 'em.

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:03 am

Good morning, people:

We made it through the night in one piece, it's pretty much stopped raining, winds are out of the west at about 20 kts.

CO brought in just 1 of the 4 RON's that they were talking about: Flight 423 made it in from IAH around 8:45PM. The EWR flight that was headed here diverted somewhere else (don't know where), and the last 2 IAH flights cancelled.

WN just brought in their first arrival (from DAL) around 9:30, and he's headed back out to LAS shortly. Two other WN inbounds (443 and 304, I believe), also just landed, and looking out the window, a CO 757 is touching down.

The screening companies are having trouble getting people to come to work (except on the WN/CO concourse), but at least most of the other airlines aren't expecting any activity until this afternoon.

As for the town, most of the canals are just about at their limits, some areas are flooded, especially in NO, out by the airport is a little better. It's now just a matter of the pumps clearing out what's left, and that'll take quite a while.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

MSY-MSP

Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:35 am

Tom,

Good to hear that everything went well. Now the only thing is have they drained the I-10 Underpass at the railroad bridge yet. Otherwise it will be real fun for the people coming into MSY to get to the CBD and the Quarter. Stay dry. MSY-MSP

ouboy79

Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:03 am

Fly yhm... You could say that. LOL Spending a few years at OU's (Univ of Okla) meteorology program didn't hurt either...well except for maybe those math courses. UGH!  Smile

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:37 am

MSY-MSP: Metairie underpass was flooded,was supposed to reopen around noon.

Operations are on their way to returning to normal, or will have by later tonight or tomorrow for the less-active carriers here (FL, HP, etc)

Thanks to everybody for all their dispatch input and good wishes for us here at MSY.  Smile We weathered the storm really well. I'm fixin' to leave for the house. My neighbor said everything looks good up there, as well.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

ouboy79

Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:50 am

Gulf coast residents are going to want to watch Lili now. Looking at some of the forecast models (and per NHC forecasts)...it will reorganize over the next 36-48 hours and begin moving NW over Jamaica and western Cuba - similar to Isidore. The only difference is that it seems like it may just into the central gulf without going over the Yucatan. Had Isidore missed the Yucatan...it could have very well been a Cat 4/5 hurricane when it made land fall (where ever that may have been). Likely hood is that Lili will be a hurricane at landfall, which appears to be around next Thursday morning in roughly the same place Isidore went ashore.

Should know more on this by Monday. Do let up just yet!  Smile