B-OTCH
Topic Author

AirTran Express!

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:08 am

AirTran should be announcing today the start of AirTran Express. Using CRJ -100, -200, and -700. Service to Philadelphia, Pittsburg, and Key West, just to name a few...

Let's see if they actually go through with it or not...

SegmentKing

RE: AirTran Express!

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:09 am

that's mean to even imply that. You'll get BR715 excited.....
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

gr8slvrflt

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:17 am

I've been hearing commuter buzz as well. I think it will be good thing.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:39 am

Will be interesting to see a new part of AirTran....

Well, let's wait and watch out for it!

jjbiv

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:53 am

That would be interesting. Rumor has it that this has been on the table for a while and a least one city has turned a cold shoulder to FL's express venture.

joe

H. Simpson

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:01 am

I wonder where do they get their CRJs. Lease?

flpuck6

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:06 am

Isn't AirTran "express" enough?  Laugh out loud
Bonjour Chef!

ouboy79

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:10 am

I loved how I got flamed by people when I hinted at the possibilities of RJs coming to AirTran. Hopefully they enjoy their own foot.  Smile

chepos

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:21 am

Hey maybe if they do launch Air Tran Express they might add DAB.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Airtran Express?

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:32 am

According to the rumor Joe has heard:

"and at least one city has turned a cold shoulder to FL's express venture."

FL has a reputation to serve cities which are shafted by the majors......I think downgrading 717 and D93's to CRJ's (especially on AAI) would be a recipe for backlash as they were started to maintain decent and reasonably fared service on routes that the majors underserved,and or overcharged.

Joe: Is AAI planning to cut their "mainline"(ie: D93 and/or 717) service to the one city that has given the cold shoulder,or is it possibly a new destination altogether that does not like the fact that FL is not making a full service inauguration to there? Admittedly, I haven't heard a peep about this,so this comes as a surprise to me.

B-OTCH
Topic Author

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:36 am

This would be operated by Mesa, BTW

scottysair

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:39 am

How about want made launches nonstop from ATL-EYW, MLB, HSV, BHM, MSY, BNA, CVG, CLE, ALB, MHT, BTV, PWM, AUS, SAT, CRP, CMH, DTW, CHS and more cities to do as for AirTran Express. Isn't should best way very good idea to do take with the new routes by anytime as near of the future. Thanks!!

usairways85

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:52 am

from the sounds of the original post,it sounds like this express operation would really be serving some focus cities throughout FL's route network rather than ATL, such as PHL, BWI, MDW, and of course the florida destinations. hopefully PHL will see a lot of these flts, they have plenty of gate space at PHL

well before i jump the gun i would really like to see this released by FL before i start getting to anxious about this.

usairways85

O/T CRJ-100 V. CRJ-200

Thu Sep 26, 2002 4:54 am

after reading the first post, i began to wonder what the difference between the 2 planes is? Don't they both carry 50 pax, so whats the difference?

serge

Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:22 am

Some -100s and -200s are configured for either 40 or 50 pax usually. The -700s are configured for 60-70...

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

s

BR715-A1-30

Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:24 am

What a pile of s***. AirTran is EXPRESS. They serve small markets, have thin routes, and use "regional" aircraft, and they are low-fare. How much more "express" could you get?
Puhdiddle

BR715-A1-30

Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:28 am

BTW -- I am not excited. I will be excited whenever AirTran orders the A380
Puhdiddle

ouboy79

Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:41 am

Difference between the CRJ -100 and -200 is merely range I believe since they both seat 50. The 40 seater is the -400/440.

CO 757 200> TOL is the city, I believe, Joe is talking about. From my understanding...shortly after AirTran announced the pull out from Toledo a decision was reached that would be the CRJs into the FL fleet towards the end of the year. Since they were routinely holding loads from 70-80%, filling a CRJ wasn't going to be a problem. They came back to the Port Authority to renegotiate a new lease and used the CRJs as the excuse for their "change of heart." Depending on who you talk to...they were either laughed out of TOL or told to "not let the door hit your ass on the way out." I'll attempt to get some more information on this.

Scotty suggested: ATL-EYW, MLB, HSV, BHM, MSY, BNA, CVG, CLE, ALB, MHT, BTV, PWM, AUS, SAT, CRP, CMH, DTW, CHS...as far as new cities. Some of these have already been tried by AirTran I, VJ, or AirTran II (Today's version). EYW, MLB, HSV, MHT, BTV seem more likely than any others listed. Most cities are already covered: CVG & CMH (DAY), CLE (CAK), DTW (FNT), etc. BHM and CVG were old FL/VJ cities that they will likely not go back into. Another big thing to keep in mind, they are going to want to keep stage lengths close to 500 miles or greater for cost reasons. CASMs are going to be much much higher than the 717s, even if they are code-sharing Mesa.

It almost appears AirTran may have a bit of an identity crisis right now. They can't really grow to new, profitable cities with the 717s due to range. There are only so many people flying right now that it will hurt LFs doing more point to point. Finally any of the really good cities left east of the Mississippi has either Southwest or another low fare carrier servicing it. It is interesting to see how they are going to try to mimmick Frontier a bit -- we'll see how it works.

As far as my picks for new cities...who knows. I wouldn't be shocked to see these go to ICT and other low performing cities (profit wise). Of course personally I wonder if they will come back to TOL, seeing they may have never wanted to leave to begin with. Bad blood takes awhile to calm down, but in the state of this industry -- the Port would almost be foolish to reject them. Of course, you don't want an airline flying to your hometown that won't promise a consistant service. Pax won't follow, especially business passengers, and you are going to end up with the low yeild bottom feeders. Would the 3rd time be the charm? I believe it would work -- DL has cut back some capacity to CVG with the CRJ redeployment and US is fairly weak right now. However, ATA has sucked up almost all low fare passengers thanks to brand recognition from the many years of people taking charters out to Vegas, Mexico, Florida, etc.

This should get interesting.  Smile

Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:13 am

Thanks for the clarification Ouboy79, I'll be looking for the info  Smile

usairways85

Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:17 am

so far i haven't seen anything on any website about it today and its getting rather late in the day, so i doubt we will see anything released today, maybe in the next few days.

Sean-SAN-

Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:42 am

Airtran should instead be thinking about getting some 319's and flying routes like ATL -> SAN, LAX, SFO, SEA, PDX, etc..

-Sean

RoastedNutz

Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:54 am

I won't believe it till I see it.

You can never trust someone who goes around with a title like B-OTCH (pronounced BEEAWCH).

Dazed767

Thu Sep 26, 2002 7:01 am

Yeah I also found this out last night, should be interesting too see. Don't know how long it will work though. What about that strong rumor of getting 737-800's for possible west coast expansion? I think they should focus on that first.

redngold

Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:15 am

I don't see anything of the sort on their press releases page...

http://www.businesswire.com/cnn/aai.shtml

If they actually *are* going to do this... and it's not a rumour... Who do they think they are, (the new ex-) Midway?

redngold
Up, up and away!

BH346

Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:23 am

AirTran already seems pretty regional to me. Perhaps they should think about heading west first.
As for possible cities, AirTran has been making a lot of losses to Wichita, but it may be because of their flight to Chicago Midway which offers only a few connecting flights. I hear Atlanta's doing fine.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

scottysair

Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:24 am

Yo Justin!!

I'm guess that might AirTran want getting with the B737-800 or Airbus A319 by the west coast nonstop from ATL flight.  Confused I'm confused about anything with the new cities by AirTran Express or something else to go on the CRJ-200 or 700 I think. Let's see if they are made to getting more new flight out of MCO hub or BWI.  Yawn If I will see with the press releases from AirTran and will let me know as for hear something. Thanks!!

Regards,

Scott W.

srbmod

Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:29 am

I think AirTran could give ASA/Comair some good competition with this, if it is true. I think if they do go ahead with this, some cities may see additional service (I see some RJ flights to GPT in addition to the daily 717s). Mesa is a good airline to bring into the fold to do this operation, and with their success as a AWEX, USAEX, and Frontier Jet Express carrier, they could help AirTran become more than just a low-fare carrier. What is interesting about this is that I have heard that the reason why Delta bought ASA was to keep Valujet/AirTran from buying it. I understand that Valujet was preparing to make a bid for ASA prior to VJ592 and the subsequent shutdown, which would have brought Robert Priddy's other baby onboard with his new baby. Delta fully acquired ownership to prevent any other airline from using ASA for services.

Alaskaairlines

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:48 am

Very Interesting! Go Airtran!!!!!

-Dmitry

brons2

Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:10 pm

AirTrain will not be getting the A319 becuase Boeing owns part of the company.....

The 738 and 73G would be possibilities, but not the 319.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

Thu Sep 26, 2002 12:15 pm

Boeing doesn't own part of AirTran. I believe they have some stock options(for profit taking only) and much of the debt was refinanced through Boeing, but no holdings in AirTran from BA. It is against the law, and the last airline to do it was United Airlines WAY, WAY, WAY back when(United Air Transport), when my Grand-pop was in grade school.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 1:31 pm

This idea does not sound good to me, if it is actually true. Aren't RJ's inherently high-CASM? How is AirTran going to offer low fares on a plane where they can't make money on $200-250 RT walkups and nonrefundable $80 RT fares? (remember, no business class on a CRJ) In Rochester, for instance, AirTran has seized such good market share because their good product has low fares, period.

I'm with Dazed767. Get 738's and start running ATL-LAX, -OAK, -SAN, -SEA. JetBlue and AirTran have demonstrated that people will go transcon without a meal, in order to get a low fare. Transcons have long stage lengths, high a/c utilization, and thus low CASM's--which mean an easier time getting nice yields.

AirTran, in my view, should stay away from regional service, until someone figures out how to do it at low-fare CASM's. In that regard, FL probably ought to be watching ATA closely. It may be that props are the only way to do it.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 2:17 pm

JetBlue and AirTran have demonstrated that people will go transcon without a meal, in order to get a low fare.

Umm, I meant JetBlue and Southwest. Early Alzheimers is not a pretty thing. Pass the Gingko pills,

Jim

mrlineguy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:03 pm

DCA-ROCguy, I absolutely agree. The props are the only way a low-fare carrier is going to be able to sustain an "express" operation. ATA has looked into RJ's but the cost of acquisition and high CASM's make the SAAB's the correct choice of aircraft IMO. It's a shame the public perceives the SAAB's as "puddle jumpers", if they would just take the time to actually have some aviation knowledge they would see that the SAAB's and Dornier's are just as advanced as the RJ's. Oh well....Ignorance is bliss!

Best Regards-
MrLineGuy
More right rudder...

Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:15 pm

I am not in favor of this idea at all, and would venture to say that Mr. Leonard is starting to take the path downhill. I might change my mind if Mesa used some EMB-120s or Dash-8s, although the Dash is expensive and takes up a bunch of gate space.

FlyPNS1

Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:54 pm

I think this idea would be suicide at this point in AAI's life. Airtran needs to keep costs low in order to stay competitive. Adding a new fleet type (RJ's) and all the training would defeat the entire purpose. Right now, the economics of low-fare carriers using RJ's is still a little questionable....you'll notice WN has never rushed out to by RJ's.

AAI is also pretty deeply in debt and relies on Boeing for a lot of financing. Trying to get RJ's would only bury AAI deeper in debt and put the company in a more precarious position.

Plus, where would all these RJ's go? Last time I checked, Airtran didn't have a lot of room in ATL to park a bunck of RJ's....except for maybe a few down at the end of the C Concourse.

I think this idea is just a bad rumor.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:26 pm

I don't think AAI will be getting its own RJs but contracting with Mesa for a commuter operation. Relatively high-yield feed from smaller markets to AirTran's mainline routes is a good thing. Also, additional frequencies to markets like SAV, GPT and GSO would encourage more business travelers to choose AirTran increasing loads on the big jets as well.

I'd love to see the lower-level gates at the end of C-Concourse in ATL put to use. Gates 1, 2 and 4 could be converted back to commuter boarding. I also hear up to six gates on D are in the works.  Big thumbs up
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

rumorboy

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:42 pm

Since we are all speculating about what this express out fit is going to do. Lets take this a step further. Yes we have some gates in ATL on the D concourse BUT do you think the whole express operation is going to run in ATL. BWI has a HUGE void that metrojet, mainline and its commuter left behind. Usairways had a ton of flights out BWI. The express side of the concourse is empty in BWI. Also we know that Leonard has said more east and west flying. The 717 can't go coast to coast. That means some where in the middle this airplane needs a pit stop. Its kinda of funny that Hooters bid fell through AND Vanguard want to sell it assets AKA gates in Kansas City. And the rumors I've heard are turboprop aircraft and not RJs. ATA has a commuter, Frontier has a commuter, and so does Midwest Express. So why not Airtran?

ouboy79

Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:57 am

DCA-ROC guy said...
This idea does not sound good to me, if it is actually true. Aren't RJ's inherently high-CASM? How is AirTran going to offer low fares on a plane where they can't make money on $200-250 RT walkups and nonrefundable $80 RT fares? (remember, no business class on a CRJ) In Rochester, for instance, AirTran has seized such good market share because their good product has low fares, period.

AirTran is experiencing probably the same that Southwest is now; too many low fare passengers. Southwest has publicly stated they are seeing yields fall and are concerned. Regardless of the niche a carrier places themselves, they still need high fare paying passengers to make money. The RJs will likely do just that. They will be able to go into new and current markets where the 717s aren't pulling their weight in yields. You will cut capacity in half and restrict the seats to those paying the slightly higher fares (no more stupid $39 or $59 one way deals). They will also be able to route these planes on longer stages from BWI, ATL, and other "focus cities" that don't have the demand and yield to make a 717 profitable. ICT-MDW would probably be one of the first cities switched over.

Of course the Regional Jet now becomes a Replacement Jet (ALPA term, yuck!) to where the 717s can be freed up to run more flights to Florida or do more profitable charters. AirTran has been planning this for a long, long time. They will find something that works...But they are also probably going to have to inch fares up system wide just a bit to counter the yield deterioration.

ont 737

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:02 am

The first thing AirTran should do *if* they add the RJ is get them into DCA. If Delta can get 20 regional slots from a "company not involved in the Detla alliance" so should AirTran. They have been left out of DCA long enough. But really, I don't think it is a very good idea (or rumor) to add any RJs. If they are going to take on all the costs of adding a new aircraft type to the fleet it *must* be something that can fly coast to coast. (why add the RJ and then be forced to get a 3rd aircraft type when wanting to start west coast operations?) And if they really concerned with feeding traffic onto their 717s they should be getting slightly larger a/c (737NGs or A32Xs with lower CASM than a RJ) and flying to the west coast. They should be focusing on adding cities like SEA, LAX, SFO, and SAN to their route map instead of more small cities that need subsidies to start operations. I'm sure the pilots would love to be able to fly larger aircraft (instead of getting pissed because of "replacement jets")and passengers would love having a lowfare option to/from Atlanta and the west coast (something more significant than 2 daily DEN-ATL Frontier flights).

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:07 am

The RJs will likely do just that. They will be able to go into new and current markets where the 717s aren't pulling their weight in yields. You will cut capacity in half and restrict the seats to those paying the slightly higher fares (no more stupid $39 or $59 one way deals). They will also be able to route these planes on longer stages from BWI, ATL, and other "focus cities" that don't have the demand and yield to make a 717 profitable. ICT-MDW would probably be one of the first cities switched over.

Unless someone can show that RJ's can operate at anywhere near 7-8 cents per seat mile, I still don't see them working for AirTran. Because $39-59 one-way nonrefundable fares are a standard part of a low-fare carrier's profit mix, it's simply inaccurate to call them "stupid." Southwest chose not to lay anyone off and not to slash capacity after 9/11, so they've had to offer a higher percentage of such bottom-end fares than usual to fill seats. WN may need to reduce capacity slightly in order to right the fare proportions to better yield levels.

The market situation in most AirTran markets, as far as I can tell, hardly justifies "cutting seat capacity in half." AirTran wouldn't have expanded to four new markets this year already if they had to do that. I know you're still burned about FL leaving Toledo, OUBoy, but that doesn't mean that FL's other markets need big capacity cuts.

If anything, as others have noted, any RJs would probably be used a) to add frequency in markets that can't support another 717, but whose business travelers would find the additional frequency more competitive; and b) slightly reduce capacity to tweak yields upward at some others. Adding new markets just with RJ's could mean unacceptably high ground handling costs per passenger. In such markets, FL would probably have to contract with local FBO's for *just the service they need* and not have crews sitting around much of the day.

Jim

FlyPNS1

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:40 am

AirTran is experiencing probably the same that Southwest is now; too many low fare passengers. Southwest has publicly stated they are seeing yields fall and are concerned. Regardless of the niche a carrier places themselves, they still need high fare paying passengers to make money. The RJs will likely do just that. They will be able to go into new and current markets where the 717s aren't pulling their weight in yields. You will cut capacity in half and restrict the seats to those paying the slightly higher fares (no more stupid $39 or $59 one way deals).

The problem with your argument is that if AAI starts to push fares up and get rid of the extremely low $39/$59 sales, then AAI starts to lose its advantage over the big guys...most notably DL in AAI's case.

Take for example PNS...a smaller market where AAI might bring in RJ's. However, if you cut down to RJ's and get rid of the lowest fare buckets, why should I fly AAI at all? DL has MD88's in PNS, more flights, a more expansive FF program and would likely still match AAI's lowest fares. In fact, DL would love to see AAI cut capacity and push fares up, that would make life easier for DL.

I think part of the problem is AAI is caught in a tough postion. AAI is predominantly a hub and spoke carrier which is fine. But in order to build up a long-term hub and spoke network, you need connections to a lot of cities....both big and small. However, AAI only has one type of plane...the 717 (I don't count the DC9's since they're on the way out). So what does AAI do?

I think FRNT and ATA are also running into the same problems and trying to work around it. ATA is using props with Chicago Express and seem to be having some success....however ATA is still shying away from RJs. FRNT is relying on Mesa to do the RJ flying, but so far the jury is still out on its success.

Compare to WN which does not use a hub and spoke model. They choose markets based solely on O+D traffic. By doing this, WN can operate only one type of plane...the 737. Unlike AAI, WN isn't likely to fly into MLI,BMI,GPT,PNS,TLH anytime soon because these markets just don't generate enough O+D to any market.

rumorboy

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:45 am

Its official now.

Press Release Source: AirTran Airways

AirTran Airways Announces New JetConnect Product
New Regional Jet Service Launches November 15th
Thursday September 26, 2:32 pm ET

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 26, 2002--AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AAI - News), today announced that the low-fare airline will launch a new regional jet operation, AirTran JetConnect, on November 15. AirTran JetConnect, operated by Air Wisconsin, will fly CRJ regional jets in short-haul markets to and from the airline's hub at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport.
Operated with the popular 50-seat CRJ regional jets made by Bombardier of Montreal, Quebec, AirTran JetConnect will initially serve several cities from its Atlanta hub - Greensboro, N.C., Pensacola, Fla., and Savannah, Ga. - all of which are currently served by AirTran Airways. In addition, AirTran JetConnect will allow the airline to expand into other short-haul markets as well as increase frequencies in underserved markets -- resulting in a stronger catchment area for AirTran Airways' Atlanta hub.

"Developing a regional partner to feed AirTran Airways has been our goal for some time, and we are pleased to introduce the AirTran JetConnect service to extend our brand of low fares and quality service," stated Robert L. Fornaro, AirTran Airways' president and chief operating officer. "With the launch of AirTran JetConnect, we will also be able to redeploy our Boeing 717s to increase frequencies in longer haul, more profitable markets and facilitate growth in larger markets we do not currently serve. In addition, we look forward to our partnership with Air Wisconsin, a company recognized throughout the industry for its high quality and reliability."

Listed below is the initial pattern of service for AirTran JetConnect:

Number of Roundtrips Per Day Effective November 15th
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Market AirTran Airways AirTran JetConnect
Greensboro/High Point/
Winston-Salem - Atlanta 2 2
Pensacola/Gulf Coast - Atlanta 2 2
Savannah/Hilton Head - Atlanta 0 4

AirTran Airways provides affordable air travel with 388 flights a day to 40 cities throughout the eastern United States. The airline's hub is at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport, the world's busiest airport (by passenger volume), where it is the second largest carrier operating 151 flights a day. AirTran Airways is a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AAI - News).

Unlike other airlines, AirTran Airways never requires a roundtrip purchase or Saturday night stay. The airline offers a Business Class any business can afford, all-assigned seating, a generous frequent flier program, and a corporate program called A2B. For more information and reservations, visit airtran.com (America Online Keyword: AirTran), call your travel agent or AirTran Airways at 1-800-AIRTRAN (800-247-8726) or 770-994-8258 in Atlanta. En espanol, 1-877-581-9842.

Air Wisconsin Airlines Corporation (AWAC) is a privately held company providing scheduled passenger and airfreight service from 45 cities in 21 states and Canada with over 325 departures per day. AWAC operates a fleet of seventeen 86 - 100 seat British Aerospace 146 quad jet aircraft, ten 32 seat Dornier 328 high speed turboprop aircraft and twenty-seven 50 seat Canadair Regional Jets. The company employs about 3,100 people. Visit the Air Wisconsin website at http://www.airwis.com.

Editor's note: Statements regarding expanded service and redeployment of assets are forward-looking statements and are not historical facts. Instead, they are estimates or projections involving numerous risks or uncertainties, including but not limited to, consumer demand and acceptance of services offered by the Company, the Company's ability to maintain current cost levels, fare levels and actions by competitors, regulatory matters and general economic conditions. Additional information concerning factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements is contained from time to time in the Company's SEC filings, including but not limited to the Company's annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2001. The Company disclaims any obligation or duty to update or correct any of its forward-looking statements.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AirTran Airways, Orlando
Tad Hutcheson, 407/251-5578

gr8slvrflt

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:46 am

It's official! Here's the press release:
ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 26, 2002--AirTran Airways, a
subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AAI), today announced that
the low-fare airline will launch a new regional jet operation, AirTran
JetConnect, on November 15. AirTran JetConnect, operated by Air
Wisconsin, will fly CRJ regional jets in short-haul markets to and
from the airline's hub at Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport.
Operated with the popular 50-seat CRJ regional jets made by
Bombardier of Montreal, Quebec, AirTran JetConnect will initially
serve several cities from its Atlanta hub - Greensboro, N.C.,
Pensacola, Fla., and Savannah, Ga. - all of which are currently served
by AirTran Airways. In addition, AirTran JetConnect will allow the
airline to expand into other short-haul markets as well as increase
frequencies in underserved markets -- resulting in a stronger
catchment area for AirTran Airways' Atlanta hub.
"Developing a regional partner to feed AirTran Airways has been
our goal for some time, and we are pleased to introduce the AirTran
JetConnect service to extend our brand of low fares and quality
service," stated Robert L. Fornaro, AirTran Airways' president and
chief operating officer. "With the launch of AirTran JetConnect, we
will also be able to redeploy our Boeing 717s to increase frequencies
in longer haul, more profitable markets and facilitate growth in
larger markets we do not currently serve. In addition, we look forward
to our partnership with Air Wisconsin, a company recognized throughout
the industry for its high quality and reliability."
Listed below is the initial pattern of service for AirTran
JetConnect:
-0-
*T

Number of Roundtrips Per Day Effective November 15th
Market AirTran Airways AirTran JetConnect
Greensboro/High Point/
Winston-Salem - Atlanta 2 2
Pensacola/Gulf Coast - Atlanta 2 2
Savannah/Hilton Head - Atlanta 0 4

jmhLUV2fly

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:48 am

I work with AirTran and have not heard of this concept of AirTranExpress. AirTran is a discount carrier that provides service to cities that other larger carriers fly to but we fly at a fraction of the cost, we do this by operating a fleet with relatively low overhead and with a fleet that is similiar for training purposes, our DC-9's and 717's have the lowest operating cost per seat per mile compared to any other type in its class...I think the RJ's run about $0.15 to $0.18 per mile.
AirTran is an express airline of sorts, providing short to intermediate service throughout the eastern half of the country. At this time AirTran is trying to progressivly grow, to maintain its operating cost and continue to work towards profitabiltiy, and you walk a fine line in the airline industry in doing so, you must operate reliable airplanes but do so at a price that fits the budget.
It would be nice to see something different in AirTran colors, but I seriously doubt you will ever see RJ's in those colors...it just doesnt fit AirTran's business model.
JMH

gr8slvrflt

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:48 am

Notice that SAV is losing mainline service altogether and GSO and PNS are both having half their flights replaced by RJs. This ought to free up planes for other markets.

FlyPNS1

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:50 am

Well...Jmh it looks like you'll be working RJ's really soon as they're coming to PNS starting Nov. 15. I'm not surprised to see PNS be one of the first markets....I know that it had been a little weak.

srbmod

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:55 am

Air Wisconsin's going to be doing the service? They'll be doing flights for two airlines @ ATL; they currently do some United Express work as well.

jmhLUV2fly

I Stand Corrected...sort Of.

Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:57 am

I did indeed just check the AirTran website and it stated AirTran will be starting AirTran JetConnect November 15 to select cites including Pensacola (PNS) which is welcome thing. However, do notice that AirTran is not actually purchasing the RJ's but rather, Air Wisconsin is operating the type for them. AirTran must have made a deal with the company...will be interesting to see how the venture works for AirTran. Also would like to mention that AirTran has done a very good job in keeping this concept a secret because the first I heard of it was on this forum.
JMH

srbmod

Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:09 am

I guess it would be safe to assume that these planes will operate in AirTran colors? I don't think it would look right if the AirTran JetConnect planes were still in the United Express livery of Air Wisconsin's RJ fleet.

azjubilee

Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:13 am

This is very interesting that Air Wisc is the operating carrier. It is well known in the industry that Air Wisc is probably the best paid small airlines to work for. IN this day of finding the lowest cost operator (DL using Chautauqua instead of Comair in MCO - and Mesa flying for it seems like every airline) there are far cheaper companies to award this flying to. This is great ammunition for our contract negotiations at Mesaba...

AZJ