tpowaleny

New Haven Airways...

Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:48 am

I didn't know that this carrier even existed. Tweed New Haven Airport was once an airport served by multiple carriers with jet service. Now only US Airways Express turbo props serve them. Does anyone have info/remember this airline? (Service, a/c, routes...)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Eduard Marmet
View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Marmet

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Marmet
View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Marmet

Thanks, Tim

tcttx

RE: New Haven Airways...

Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:05 am

New Haven Airways became NewAir in the 80s. Later, (not exactly sure of the order) but NewAir and Pilgrim and Business Express were all combined, and Business Express was later bought by American Eagle.

lindy field

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:39 am

Can you prove that New Haven had jet service at any time? I thought that the runways at Tweed are too short for a fully-loaded jet aircraft.

zrs70

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:42 am

Lindy,

Your challenge comes off as very immature! "Can you prove that..."

In the mid 90's, United had 737's to ORD.
In the mid 80's, Air Wisconsin flew BAC-146's to ORD.
In the Mid 70's, USAir flew DC-9's and BAC 1-11's to various northeast cities.

Shall I go on?
17 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2016

tpowaleny

Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:54 am

Zrs70 is right...

When my grandfather worked for the then called "IRI" he would very often fly to ORD on United on a 737. At one point United had 4 daily ORD flights from HVN... HVN does have potential. Shuttle America (pre USEx) was thinking of flying out of there and I think they would have done better there than out of BDL. Maybe some day we will see the return of jets back to HVN. I would love to see Mesa do some HVN-DCA stuff.

Tim

lindy field

Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:03 pm

Zrs70--I didn't mean to come off sounding challenging or combatative--I've just always read that (here on the forums or in the local New Haven press) that the runway at Tweed is too short for large aircraft. Furthermore, the database doesn't have any photos of jet aircraft at HVN.

The city authorities are trying to extend the runway now so as to attract new airlines which might offer RJ service. They're really aiming to get service to DC, Chicago, and Atlanta. Of course, the people who live in East Haven don't want the noise and are putting up a fight.

Actually, a week or two ago what appeared to be a 727-100 flew over my house near downtown New Haven and I was a little confused thinking that it couldn't have come from anywhere other than Tweed...