ktliem@YVR

Passenger's Preferences: SQ A380 Focus Group

Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:24 am

An interesting article in Sept.30 USAToday on passengers preferences.

Here's a summary:

Singapore is hoping that focus groups in New York, London and Singapore will help lead to the design of passenger-friendly interiors.

Each focus group consits of 20 of Singapore's best business and leisure fliers who were invited for a weekend of blue-sky thinking on how to outfit the Airbus A-380 in a local hotel.

The findings:

1. Personal space
Passengers wanted the option of interacting with other passengers or withdrawing to their own private spaces.

2. Sleep
The ability to have a lay-flat bed on a daylong flight overrode just about every other passenger concern.

3. Peace
To have a place on board where passengers could tune out the world through music libraries or other interests to pass the time.

4. Self-service.
Though Singapore promotes its attentive flight attendants, customers said they would the like the option, too, of being able to grab their own snacks or drinks, pick out music or videos and try out other self-service ideas.

PS. No mention of PTVs in this article. Either they didn't think it was important, unlike many members of this forum, or they assumed PTVs will be installed on the A380 anyway.

For complete article, click here: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2002/2002-10-01-big-plane.htm

ktliem@YVR

RE: Passenger's Preferences: SQ A380 Focus Group

Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:26 am

Forgot to ask if anybody in the forum knows which company or companies conducted these focus groups.  Smile

il75

Wed Oct 02, 2002 3:15 am

I find the first issue, about personal space, very interesting.

"Passengers wanted the option of interacting with other passengers or withdrawing to their own private spaces."

It brought to my mind the sitting configuration in some trains, where you often can sit as in a group and with a table in the middle . In some trains you can even turn the seats back to a normal position if you want. Since I travel often with my wife and my three kids I always book on trains those seats facing each other. No chance to sit together when flying. Airliners offer, at its best, 3+2 or 4+1 in the same row.

I hope there will be a change in that direction before my kids get so old that they no longer want to sit anywhere near my wife and me!

Regards
Erico

rj777

Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:45 am

I have a question.

WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS BEFORE?!!!!!!!!!!!!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:27 am

Ah so the New York one has happenned. Good.

"Though Singapore promotes its attentive flight attendants, customers said they would the like the option, too, of being able to grab their own snacks or drinks, pick out music or videos and try out other self-service ideas."

I'm not sure if Singapore Airlines can draw itself to this idea. The idea of the Singapore Girl is the Airline. Nice bars like those on Virgin Atlantic are not acceptable to the airline as the passenger has to move and it's not service-service. A self-service bar is probably out of the question.

"Asked to come up with innovative ways to use an unneeded forward cargo hold as passenger space, participants bounced around everything from the disco, yoga classroom and view-lounge concepts to a gym, hot tub or showering area."

Interesting. Yoga classroom? Probably limited. Disco? Fantastic, could get crowded. Gym? Maybe, heavy = +fuel. Hot tub / showers? Possible from a Seattle-based company.

"One group called their business-class configuration Freedom Class"

No way!

Most interesting Big grin
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ktliem@YVR

Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:27 am

Actually focus groups are quite common in business, and I'm certain airlines do them all the time.

Usually focus groups participants are selected at random although they must fit certain characteristics of the target customer group. In the case of SQ, they chose frequent flyers from their most important markets.

The focus group session itself can be best described as a moderated discussion. The moderator has the task to steer the discussion into a certain direction to find out information important to the client. All the while people from the research company and the client follow the discussion from behind a one-way mirror or TV screen in another room.

Usually, results of focus groups are confidential. It's very surprising to read the results of this particular focus group in the press.

RayChuang

Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:34 am

I think it all comes down to this: SQ's First and Business (Raffles) classes on the A380-800 will likely have seating that will be strongly inspired by what BA did with their cubicle-like seating their premium classes. It might also include seating strongly inspired by what AA did with their First class seating--the ability to rotate a small number of seats to turn it into a conference-like seating.

I really think that VS might actually implement the idea of two-seat roomettes in Upper Class on their A388 fleet. Mind you, this will take all the fun out of the Mile High Club, though.  Insane  Big grin

VirginFlyer

Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:00 pm

Il75 - I doubt you will see direction changeable seats like those in trains in an aircraft for safety factors - they simply would not hold up well in a crash compared to the fixed or even swivel varieties. In fact, this is why they are becoming increasingly rare on trains.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

il75

Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:11 pm

Thank you, V/F. I didn't realized that.

I give up then the direction changeable seats but still hope for those facing each other.
In any case, still safer sitting looking backward isn't it.

best regards
erico