Air China Will Start PDX Service.

Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:37 am

Air China Cargo will announce Tuesday a new non-stop air cargo service from Portland International Airport.

Nike, Tektronix, Intel, ESI, Epson and InFocus are some of the local companies that are developing or already have a manufacturing or business presence in China. In 2001, China was Oregon's third-largest air export market with almost 2 million kilos shipped, according to the Port of Portland. China is Oregon's fastest-growing top-10 air export market in Asia. From 1996 to 2001, Oregon's air cargo exports to China increased 200 percent.

The new service will start Oct. 27, according to U.S. Department of Transportation documents.

Airline officials and local government and business executives were scheduled to gather Tuesday afternoon at the Classical Chinese Garden at Northwest Third Avenue & Everett St. in Portland to announce the deal. Dignitaries include Wing Kun Tam, Air China Cargo; Gov. John Kitzhaber; Mayor Vera Katz; Bill Wyatt, executive director, Port of Portland; and Dave Hill, Nike Inc.

BA

RE: Air China Will Start PDX Service.

Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:43 am

Wow, congrats. This is certainly great for Portland (PDX).

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA

Wed Oct 02, 2002 7:47 am

Denver has been trying to lure Air China Cargo also. When the Mayor of Denver toured Asia, he spoke with Air China officials about starting a cargo route to Denver. They expressed interest about a Denver route but gave no timeframe.

Has Portland been trying to lure Air China Cargo?

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

doug_or

Wed Oct 02, 2002 9:55 am

Any news on weather ANC or KAL will alter their equipment or schedule in response? At any rate, good news for the home town. I don't know if PDX has been trying to get Air China, but ever since Delta pulledo utheir international ops the city has been trying to get some international pax service.
When in doubt, one B pump off

BA

Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:27 am

Doug_Or,

Any news on weather ANC or KAL will alter their equipment or schedule in response?

The weather in ANC must be getting cold now. It probably is almost always below freezing nowadays.

But what does that have anything to do with KAL altering there equipment or schedule? Cold weather shouldn't really affect that.

Smile

Regards

Lu

Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:06 am

Good News for Air China.
I am in Shanghai, new Shanghai Pudong Airport(ZSPD).
New route will be operated by Air China, Why not to operate more flights for US airlines to China, Is it fair? I know Air China also began to operate a new flight from Pek to Jfk last month.

chrisair

Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:06 am

Doug, I doubt NCA is making any change because they aren't flying to PDX anymore. (I assume ANC=NCA)

trickijedi

Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:10 am

Yup! PDX needs more variety.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

doug_or

Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:11 am

whoppppssssss. oh well.
When in doubt, one B pump off

B747-437B

Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:40 pm

Any chance of passenger service to PDX? I think the market for a PEK-PDX flight definitely exists.
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

KAL_LM

Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:51 pm

Well finally someone stepped up and decided to take advantage of PDX. It's funny how they keep saying non-stop service even though it sounds like they will be using ANC as a tech stop, but at least it sounds good.

As for KE changes, I haven't heard any yet, but I bet that those in the higher reaches of my office might be a little freaked out at this point. As long as the paychecks keep rolling I'll be happy...

This will add some much needed variety to PDX though, plane watching out here is pretty boring with the steady succession of 737s so seeing Air China will liven things up (it looks like Thursday and Sunday afternoon service...might be fun!)

As for pax, I really doubt it right now. KE has been in the area for 5+ years and there's no sign of pax service anytime soon so I wouldn't hold my breath.

regards,
Tom
is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just a train?

carnoc

Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:57 pm

Not for sure, but some people told me that PDX had tried to attract China Southern Airlines to operate non-stop cargo flights between Guangzhou and Portland Int'l, but the talk was unsuccessful.