sleekjet

Effect Of Hurricanes On Flight Plans

Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:26 am

We've got a major hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico. What happens to, say, a flight from San Antonio to Atlanta on Friday, when Hurricane Lili has come ashore in SE TX/SW LA? Does it vector around? Does it go over? Is it cancelled?
II Cor. 4:17-18

aa61hvy

RE: Effect Of Hurricanes On Flight Plans

Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:35 am

Most of the time it would go around it. My friend flew from EWR-DFW when Hurricane Hugo was around, it was over NC and my friend said she saw it pretty clearly..
Go big or go home

aa61hvy

Wed Oct 02, 2002 10:35 am

im sorry, im not making sense, i ment to say go over it. my friend flew over it.
Go big or go home

OPNLguy

Wed Oct 02, 2002 11:08 am

>>>Does it vector around? Does it go over? Is it cancelled?

It would depend upon a number of things. If the tops of storms were such that they could get over them, no problem for normal routes. If the tops were higher and getting over them not possible, it may be possible to go between the storms. If that's not possible (a solid area versus a scattered area), planning around them is the way to go.

As far as cancellations go, that would be more likely a factor for flights to/from any airport in the affected area, and less likely ones that are just transiting the area at normal crusing altitudes. In the terminal area, the most prevalent effects of the storm are the crosswinds, whose velocities can easily exceed max limits, especially on a wet runway.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.