Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usa4624
Topic Author

Domestic US Arifares: Why Was There An Increase?

Thu Oct 03, 2002 1:51 am

I noticed that Air Fare prices out of AUS have gotten expensive this past week; and in a lot of cases, One Way is twice as expensive as R/T!

AUS to OKC is $150 R/T on AA, but $265 one way!
AUS to ELP is $182 R/T on AA, but $324.89 one way! DL is priced the same.
CO has the same price one way and RT AUS to ELP ($202)
AUS to MDW is $198 on AA/DL/NW/CO, but $293 one way.

A few weeks ago, the same one way ticket would cost you around $100; why the sudden increase in fares? Why is it cheaper to buy a one way ticket than a round trip?

Matt D

RE: Domestic US Arifares: Why Was There An Increase?

Thu Oct 03, 2002 3:38 am

One way fares have aways been more expensive than round trips. I'm not really sure why. I'm no expert in Yield Management.

Perhaps it has something to do with the "21 day" notice. More likely, they figure that anyone that's travelling one way is likely to have "unstable" travel plans, hence the open endedness, and are more likley to return on a last minute itinerary, where they can (and do) gouge you-simply-because-they can.

As for the cities you mention, and again, I'm no airline bean counter-so this is just a semi-educated guess-is probably because they are what the airline calls "second tier" or "orphan" cities", which is where the airlines make a good chunk of their money because of the captive market with little (or no) competition.

Perhaps there was a "fare war" recently in a "hot" market (i.e. LAX-JFK), and (lost) revenue had to be made up somwhere else in the system-hence the much increased fares you noticed.

clipper471
Head Editor

Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:53 am

Or perhaps the lower fares are now all booked and the remaining available fares on such routes are, well, more expensive.

jessman

Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:55 am

Or maybe the airlines are trying to make a profit.  Nuts

Thu Oct 03, 2002 11:19 am

The one-ways are generally based off of the lowest roundtrip with no min./max stay restrictions. They would be about half of that fare. It's done that way so someone can't try to book two one-ways and not stay over Saturday night for cheap. IMO, they should just base all fares as one-ways. It works for some airlines that do it(AirTran, JetBlue).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos