BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Airbus: Are They More Advanced

Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:56 am

Ok, Before I say anything, This IS NOT an A. vs. B. War.

Now, I was looking at interior photos and I found this photo
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dean Allchin

of an A321 First Class Cabin with AC, and then I found this photo of a 737 First Class Cabin
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fernando Gomes

and it seems like the A321 looks like a Spaceship.
Puhdiddle

Ikarus

RE: Airbus: Are They More Advanced

Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:02 am

Errr, interiors are pretty much up to the airlines to choose...

And the eventual outcome depends on when they bought / refurbished the aircraft.

So, no, Airbus is not by default more advanced in its interiors...

covert

Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:08 am

If Airbus was so godly, do you think so many airlines would operate Boeings?
That Airbus is of course newer than that 737, and of course, it's Continental--what do you expect? It really depends on airline configuration...
none

Mr AirNZ

Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:14 am

I think it's probably just the airline. Below are some pictures of other premium cabins. As you can see, in this situation, I think the Boeing (above) looks better.

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Coduto

LMP737

Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:20 am

You can't base on what airliner is more advanced by what the interior looks like. You could put a flashy interior into a DC-10 but that will not make it anymore advanced than before.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

BA

Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:37 am

The A320 Family has an Award-winning cabin. As in just the interior and not the seats. The seats and seating configuration is entirely based on the airline and not aircraft specific.

Newer Generation 737s have cabins just as "space looking" as the A320 Family.

And how a cabin looks does not determine how advanced an airliner is.

Airbus and Boeing are really at the same level.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

LOT767-300ER

Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:06 am

"The A320 Family has an Award-winning cabin. As in just the interior and not the seats. The seats and seating configuration is entirely based on the airline and not aircraft specific."

By who? Time magazine  Smile

AA737-823

Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:29 pm

I think most people will favor the NG 737 interior over the Airbus. Don't get me wrong, I liked the A320 interior better until the NG came out... but the A320 ceiling looks very 90s (which was cool) while the 73NG ceiling panels (and 753, 717) look very turn- of- the- century.

Seats are up to airlines. Have you seen those BBJ 737-700s? Yeah, they make that A321 look like crap. Does that make the Boeing better? Well, clearly the answer is no.

I would agree that that 321 first class looks terriffic. I also think that, under similar lighting conditions, the two cabins would look alarmingly similar. The 737 cabin shot you chose shows natural light, while the A321 light is man-made...

Both planes have a very modern cabin. I won't get into the extra .09883 inches of lower-shoulder room in the Airbus (oops- did I just indirectly state my opinion? Sorry.)

Randy

ammunition

Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:38 pm

I hate these airbus versus being topics, its so obvious this is another one of those threads, its childish, immature, pathetic, and becoming a little repetative by now!
It seems to be the same people over and over again, i cant wait for the day they stop!!!

It has been proven time and time again that this kind of comparison is unrealistic, and these opinions of airliners.net members are simply points of view, and can never change fact!
And the fact quite simply is..... YES.......... AIRBUS is more advance!!!

so lets stop the argueing, and bickering, and childishnes, and base or arguements on facts from now on........ ok?????? deal?????????

Big thumbs up  Smile
Saint Augustine- 'The world is a book and those who do not travel, read only 1 page'

strickerje

Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:33 pm

Let's look at the facts here. Both the 737NG and A32X are twin-engine medium-range jets with comparable thrust and fuel burn. Both have comparable avionics, including dual FMC's and industry standard PFD's and ND's. So where is the main difference? Well, the one glaring difference that I see is the Airbus FBW system & single side stick. While definately more advanced than the "old fashioned" flight controls, one could argue that airliners that are still advanced and modern by today's standards fly trouble free without FBW, so this "upgrade" is somewhat unnecessary. My conclusion is that both the 737NG and the A32X are about on even grounds in terms of the most important aspects.

2cn

Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:36 pm

how about

View Large View Medium

Photo © Derek Lepper

but to be more fair.. if you want to compare the two.. maybe use a photo that comes closer to the quality/same lighting of both aircraft?
This is the best one I could find that looked good of the newer 737s.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Bock

OO-AOG

Sun Oct 06, 2002 8:14 pm

If a plane is more advanced because of cabin configuration (which is, by the way, an operator choice rather than a manufacturer one), then....oh well  Confused
Falcon....like a limo but with wings

luzezito

Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:02 pm

Both A321 and 737NG are pretty similar planes as far as I am concerned from the passenger point of view and very often airline choice is more politically oriented than technically or operationally oriented.
FACT:
However there is one fact that leaves no doubt: Technically speaking, Airbus have caught up on Boeing in the last 20 years with the first twin engine wide body, the first generation of FBW a/c and soon the A380.
PERSONAL OPINION:
There is no denying that they have spiced up the world of civil aviation and given Boeing quite a few headaches mainly caused by their prior complacency and why not say it, sheer arrogance at times.
Quoniam Vita Brevis Est, Propera!

L-188

Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:35 pm

Food for thought.

I have a book titled "Aviation Mechanics Simplified." It shows some of the techniques and structures that are present in aircraft. It was published in 1943.

It obviously doesn' have anything about electronics, jet engines, or composits, but you know what. Out of what's left, 90% of the books content is just as valid for working on either 737's or A320's as it was for working on the Douglas Sleeper Transports (Pre DC-3) that are shown as modern airliners in that book.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jbangert

Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:54 am

Talking about technology: the Airbus 320 fly-by-wire system is obviously more advanced than the Boeing 737NG conventional system, with benefits such as weight saving and higher autoland capability.
As to the cabin's look and comfort, it is a fact that the cabin of the Airbus 320 is wider by some 15 cm than that of the 737, which gives passengers and their luggage some extra space.