PU803
Topic Author

Some News From Israel

Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:07 pm

Hi all, some news from TLV:

1. An Arkia ATR-72 (4X-AVN) at ETH with 47 passengers stops it running to take-off due to fire at left engine. No passengers injured. The plane was flying from ETH to SDV, Tel Aviv domestic airport.
Arkia and Israir uses ATR in Israel. Most of the problems I remember at Israir planes. First problem to Arkia with those ATRs.

2. Also at ETH, transport authorities prohibit jets take-off and landing. The reason is width of the runway, only 30 m. , the new minimum is 45 meters. Eilat is waiting for a new airport for years. Some time ago some one spoke about a new Israel-Jordanian airport serving Eilat and Akaba cities, but for now, nothing. Jets will use Ovda air force base, some 45 km. North of the city, at Araba Dessert.

3. I passenger died in flight between TLV and JFK, at LY 001 flight. The passenger, a 47 years old sleeps more of the flight. One flight attendant tried to wake her 50 min. before landing. No one know when exactly the passenger died.
So long, Iddo

PU803
Topic Author

RE: Some News From Israel

Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:23 pm

I sorry, there is a mistake: the Arkia planes with fire at left gear was the 4X-AVW and not AVN.
Iddo

Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:36 pm

Yeah...they also have regularly near misses...once it was over the Arava valley on the route to ETH...an Israir and an Arkia almost collided....another time it was on Tel Aviv's Dov airport, a small private plane rolled on the runway whan an Arkia flight was about to land.....still another time, an IAF plane flew much too close to an EL AL 747 which was landing in BGN......and a few years ago, a Russian plane (with a drunken pilot!) almost collided over Tel Aviv with a plane taking off.............Plus...there's this huge dump "mountain" wich attracts thousands of birds just on the main take off route...a TWA 747 had once to make an emergency landing after birds entered in an engine.....

Dangerous skies...!

Rick767

Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:46 pm

"2. Also at ETH, transport authorities prohibit jets take-off and landing. The reason is width of the runway, only 30 m. , the new minimum is 45 meters. Eilat is waiting for a new airport for years. Some time ago some one spoke about a new Israel-Jordanian airport serving Eilat and Akaba cities, but for now, nothing. Jets will use Ovda air force base, some 45 km. North of the city, at Araba Dessert."

Guess that's why we're flying to Ovda now these days then.... Personally I think we get enough experience in the Greek Islands landing our 757s on 30m (98ft) wide runways. Never been a problem in the past...
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:13 pm

the Uvda base is in use for decades already...it replaced another one which was south of Eilat, but closer

avi

Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:19 pm

......and a few years ago, a Russian plane (with a drunken pilot!) almost collided over Tel Aviv with a plane taking off

This is not a problem even if you not drunk. As long as landing aircrafts continue to fly around the airport from the south, "cutting" the take-off aircrafts (over my city, Holon) the problem remain.
Many years ago 2 Boeing 747 were on collide course. I will never forget how the approaching B747 broke to the left. I have never seen anything like it.

...there's this huge dump "mountain" which attracts thousands of birds just on the main take off route...a TWA 747 had once to make an emergency landing after birds entered in an engine.....

That place is closed for some years now and it is below the approach to runway 12. There are no take-off routes above it.

Long live the B747

Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:37 pm

yes, after YEARS of political disputes...they finally closed the Khiria...but the place is still FAR from being transformed...so there are still birds;

when was this frightening "collide course"?? it sounds awful!

And BTW...I forgot to mention still another danger in Israeli skies...: there are so many "pirate" radio stations around BGN, that there are sometimes interferences...and pilots can't communicate with the ATC; they even had to close the airport.