fanofjets

Single-Engined Aircraft Crash In Phoenix

Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:48 am

PHOENIX (Reuters) - A single-engine plane crashed in a trailer park in north Phoenix on Saturday, killing at least one person, after the pilot declared an emergency loss of oil pressure and attempted to land at a nearby airport, authorities said.

The fiery crash also injured a man on the ground, officials said. It was not immediately clear if the pilot had died or how many had been aboard the Grumman plane.

"We're still in the process of determining what happened," said Suzanne Luber, an airport spokeswoman.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board were investigating the cause of the crash, which happened about 8:40 a.m. local time near Deer Valley Municipal Airport, the nation's third-busiest airport for small planes.

The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

4holer

RE: Single-Engined Aircraft Crash In Phoenix

Sun Oct 13, 2002 10:51 pm

I drove right past there (Loop 101 to I-17 North) about 10 minutes prior to the accident. No smoke as we went past, so I assume it was prior. I was looking up at planes and my wife was looking at the trailer park (one of those shiny aluminum travel trailers caught her eye). When we changed CD's 15-20 minutes later the radio was reporting it as breaking news. Creeeepy!
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................