BeechStarship
Topic Author

Contest: Most Derelict Intact Airliner Picture!

Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:42 pm

I'm a new member but I have been reading airliners.net for about a year now. What a great site! I finally decided to ante up the $5 a month to join so I can post. My username of couse denotes my favorite plane, the rare Beech Starship 2000, which I've actually had the privilege to fly on! The most wicked looking plane I've ever seen.

In any case, a thread I've never seen (but I've always wanted to) is a contest for a picture of the most derelict airliner that has been kept intact and hasn't been chopped up for beer cans. The more faded and moldier the better. I grew up outside of Charlotte NC and visited the Maxton airport often, and saw many sad derelicts all faded and moldy. That NC humidity can corrode anything. Here is my submission of a tired but proud 707 at Maxton, but I'm sure you guys can beat it if you search the photo archives or have one yourself:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chaz Hinkle

Rules: fuselage and wings not broken up, door cuts OK, engines missing OK. BTW, I'm not trying to disrespect these birds, I just find it fascinating how something so expensive and incredible can be forgotten and left to rot once its usefulness has been outlived. Have fun!

Skystar

RE: Contest: Most Derelict Intact Airliner Picture!

Mon Oct 14, 2002 4:52 pm

Just a pointer, you can post without joining as a $5 a month First Class member  Smile

Welcome.

AC320

Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:35 pm

Erm, new members to the forum must sign up as first class members, I believe.
fuddle duddle

BeechStarship
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:55 am

Yep...it says that posting is free, but I couldn't find out a way to get a username without paying the $5. Is there really a way around it? I don't mind paying anyway...I enjoy the forum.

lindy field

Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:46 am

Getting back to the purpose of the post....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joan Martorell

United_fan

Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:57 am

I was in Maxton in August,and that 707 has been towed back to the wooded area back by the Tobacco field-I kid you not.
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

BeechStarship
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:17 am

A 707 in a tobacco field...figures. Maxton is an amazing place...the ultimate redneck airport! I halfway expect them to start putting airplanes up on concrete blocks someday.  Smile

Sad picture of that Convair...wasn't this the last CV990 in regular pax service? Here's a picture of her in her glory days (1986):

View Large View Medium

Photo © Joan Martorell

I really like the livery on this one. I wonder how much longer Spantax would have flown them if they hadn't gone under? This one looks freshly painted.

jgo

Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:45 am

well there's one at glasgow that the fire fighters use for training, i can't remember if the wings are still attached (i don't think they are) but it's a little , uhh, charred, shall we say.

- jgo

BeechStarship
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:00 am

I stand corrected on the airliner on concrete blocks comment...somebody just sent me this link in an emai...a CV990 converted to a restaurant in Colorado. I guess they have rednecks too.  Smile

http://web2.airmail.net/astrojet/990/N5601.jpg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos