pressclub

Cold War Between SN Brussels And Virgin Ex?

Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:57 pm

It looks like there is a cold war going on between SN Brussels Airlines and Virgin Express.

In their press release from today, an anouncement of the winter schedule, Virgin thanks all the customers who have choosen VEX in the past for their flights to London Heathrow.
Virgin appologizes that they can't offer anymore flights to London Heathrow due to the SN Brussels/BA deal and also appologizes.... that the passengers have to pay higher fares now that Virgin can't sell LHR anymore... So they accuse indirect SN Brussels of asking high fares for LHR flights...

apuneger

RE: Cold War Between SN Brussels And Virgin Ex?

Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:34 pm

Well, I think this is just another marketing trick...VEX profiles itself as a low-cost carrier and hence they have to say things like this once in a while.

But yes, SN BA and VEX's agreement is coming to an end, so they are no longer partners, but competitors...which means war Big grin

By the way, me and Tom'll be flying VEX to/from LHR next Sunday.

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Flying Belgian

Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:07 am

Just another childish game from a low cost carrier. They can't stand losing a battle, that's it.

From my point of view, LHR is not a place for a low cost. VEX should be happy that former Sabena deal allowed them to sell LHR seats for more than 5 years.

F.B
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

airblue

Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:12 am

Virgin apologizes that they can't offer anymore flights to London Heathrow due to the SN Brussels/BA deal and also apologizes.... that the passengers have to pay higher fares now

If they are sure to offer better fares than SNBA, they could start to fly to STN or LGW. So they could continue to fly to London and offer cheap fares.

Spitfire

Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:44 am

At last one of the big mistakes of Paul Reutlinger is gone...too late for Sabena unfortunately !! VEX cabin crew and service never got the requested standard for Sabena's business pax...Tons of complains!!
Sabena ... Never to be forgotten (12 years already , what a shame !! )

Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:52 am

One of the biggest mistakes VEX made was to tie itself up with Sabena....how can you be a 'low-cost' carrier (VEX fare weren't that cheap anyway), whilst also offering to interline/codeshare/offer a separate business class cabin?! It's crazy....

The second biggest mistake was establishing a base in Belgium, where labour costs are very high, and laws inflexible...I'm not saying the laws are 'bad', but they certainly are a disadvantage to a low-cost carrier, which VEX never really was.

luchtzak

Tue Oct 15, 2002 12:58 am

Hi all,

maybe they can announce a message to all the VEX-passengers: thank God you cannot book a flight with us for LHR because otherwise you will get stuck on those small RJ's with huge discomfort (?)

Quote on the VEX-website:

SN Brussels Airlines uses Avro-aircraft, which are smaller than the Virgin Express-Boeing. We would like to apologise for any discomfort you might experience by travelling in this smaller aircraft. But do remember that by booking Virgin Express you are sure to have paid the best available fare.

Maybe a lesson for VEX: if you dig a hole....

greetings!

luchtzak

Sabena 690

Tue Oct 15, 2002 4:10 am

Hehe Luchtzak, I was just going to display that message. I posted it already in another thread some weeks ago.

Unbelieveble but true...

Regards,
Frederic

airDD

Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:04 am

Seems like most Belgians would like VEX to go away,... but if it was to go away foreign based low cost carriers will quickly take over the flights from/to Brussels. Their operating cost (free from Belgian Labor laws) will be substantially lower than SNBA ...

airDD

apuneger

Tue Oct 15, 2002 7:11 pm

AirDD:

Seems like most Belgians would like VEX to go away

Source?

Ivan

Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

luchtzak

Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:41 pm

AirDD:

Everybody likes Vex' good (?) prizes to lots of European destinations, we just want them to compete on a less agressive way. Making false allegations isn't correct, right? If you look my previous message in this topic you will see why.

And I prefer Vex iso Easyjet, Ryanair, etc...

greetings,

luchtzak

A330DAT

Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:07 am

SN Brussels Airlines uses Avro-aircraft, which are smaller than the Virgin Express-Boeing. We would like to apologise for any discomfort you
might experience by travelling in this smaller aircraft.

Really??? Those remarks from Virgin are really cheap! It's like they invented flying!!! Duhhhh...

Everyone should ask themselves "What's the use flying bigger jets when every passenger onboard has LESS space??"

The slogan should be:

"WE FLY BIGGER JETS WITH SMALLER SEATS"
 Nuts

or

"We would NOT like to apologise for any discomfort you might experience by NOT travelling to LONDON HEATHROW, OUR MOST PROFITABLE ROUTE, BUT HEY...WE FLY BOEING..."

Yeah sure

luchtzak

Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:42 am

No more replies ?

guess that A330DAT has made a very good reply  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

greetings,

luchtzak

SN-A330

Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:21 am

Hi,

About... SN Brussels Airlines uses Avro-aircraft, which are smaller than the Virgin Express-Boeing. We would like to apologise for any discomfort you might experience by travelling in this smaller aircraft.

I have the feeling that most customers are going to believe what VEX is saying here. It's a very simple 'rule' for most passengers : a bigger plane on the outside must be a better, more comfortable plane and more spacious on the inside.

Regards, SN-A330

I would rather be flying...

Thu Oct 17, 2002 3:36 am

ahhh, the biterness of a broken relationship.

What ever will become of VEX?

Flying Belgian

Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:23 am

Moreover, VEX 737's are looking very cramped and old inside right now...

They souldn't boast too much about flying those airplanes. It's more a bus than an pax airplane.
The AVRO is not the best airplane from a pax point of view, I conceed (noise level inside, smaller bins, increased flight times,...) but it's more comfortable than a VEX 737 once you're seated.

F.B
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

luchtzak

Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:47 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frederic Backaert
View Large View Medium

Photo © Charles Falk

those 2 need a paintjob!

luchtzak

aamd11

Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:05 am

I quite like the Avros, i dont like the 737s as much.
So that argument would never win me over.
With regards to the paint comment, its time for VEX to repaint its entire fleet, what we want is something new, something stylish, something....
 Wow!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Neville Murphy

Eurowhite  Nuts

Regards,
A^A MD-11

groholsky

Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:45 pm

Luchtzak,

you better stop your "gamineries". You started very well this topic but now it is turning ridiculous...(referring to "those 2 need a paintjob") Indeed your company has a beautiful(???) new paintscheme but if 30% of the pilot's salary is needed for that...Then shame on your company !!!

So keep your comments objective, and congrats for your site !!!

Sabena 690

Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:17 pm

Hasn't VEX already new colours?

Check this one out:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paulo carvalho

It is a bit confusing. Some say that it is an ex-Virgin Blue with VEX titles, and others say that those are the new VEX colours  Confused

Regards,
Frederic

SN-A330

Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:04 pm

It is a bit confusing. Some say that it is an ex-Virgin Blue with VEX titles, and others say that those are the new VEX colours

I think it's an ex Virgin Blue a/c and actually, now that I look at it, I like these colours much better than the simple red/white VEX colour scheme.

Regards, SN-A330

I would rather be flying...

A330DAT

The Virgins

Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:39 pm

SN-A330 - I have the feeling that most customers are going to believe what VEX is saying here. It's a very simple 'rule' for most passengers : a bigger
plane on the outside must be a better, more comfortable plane and more spacious on the inside.

I'm afraid you're right about that one SN-A330. Trying to fool the customers backfires sooner or later.

Sabena 690 - Hello Frederic, you're right, the new VEX colors are adapted ex-Virgin Blue colors. The aircraft returned from V Blue in those colors and it was decided to apply the same to the rest of the fleet (eventually) All fonts (letter types) and signs have also been adapted, being the same font and style as Virgin blue and Virgin Atlantic.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Daenen Jos
View Large View Medium

Photo © Daems Guy

OO-VEP however still needs to adapt the thin blue line on the tail.

Smokin cool

luchtzak

Thu Oct 17, 2002 5:47 pm

Groholsky,

I just wanted to make a statement here: if you have to write down on your official website that some flights are with SN Brussels Airlines and that they are apologising for the dicomfort you might experience by travelling in this smaller aircraft. Vex should also consider that a plane where the red paint has practically disappeared isn't good advertising as well. Hope this explains the implementation of those 2 pics.

greetings,

luchtzak

Sabena 690

Sun Oct 20, 2002 2:33 am

Thanks a lot, A330DAT!!

Regards,
Frederic

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos