lmml 14/32

Crew And Pax Injured In Turbulence

Mon Oct 14, 2002 10:11 pm

Cabin Crew and Passengers were injured when an AirMalta B737-200, flying from LYS to MLA on Sunday, flew into a sudden jolt of turbulence. The incident happened around 45-60 minutes into the flight. Crew members and passengers were scalded by hot coffee and one crew member sustained injuries when hit by a trolley that was thrown around. It is unclear whether this was CAT or wake turbulence from another aircraft.

In January of 2000 another AirMalta B732 flying to FCO listed sharply to the right and lost altitude in an unexplained incident. The aircraft was grounded for inspection after warps were found on the fuselage and at least one wing.

wing

RE: Crew And Pax Injured In Turbulence

Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:45 am

We had pretty nasty turbulances all over Europe nowadays, especially around Austria and to east till Turkey.I heard last night AirBerlin Aircraft reporting "severe turbulance" 80 NM infront of us over Viena.We took necessary precautions but it was moderate all the way.Its the time of the year when the weather has a lot of unstability.
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

Spitfire

Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:06 am

...so everybody: keep your seatbelt fastened even if the sign goes off...you (and we) never know !!!

Just a free advice from an old pilot, "burinated by strong headwinds"  Wink/being sarcastic

Spitfire

Sabena ... Never to be forgotten (12 years already , what a shame !! )

lmml 14/32

Tue Oct 15, 2002 3:47 am

I too have had my fair share of CAT this week. Last Thusday's flight to ORY was very bumpy. We spent most of the time sitting down and could not conduct any service for long periods of time.

Back to the topic in hand, it seems that this incident was very likely caused by wake turbulence. AirMalta said that its B732 lost some 300ft and one passenger was hospitalised for treatment after landing.