BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

What Happened Here?

Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:06 am

Did the truck ram into the tail, or did the tail back into the truck?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Brian Peters

Who was fired, and who kept their job?
Puhdiddle

shaun3000

RE: What Happened Here?

Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:14 am

Looks like the truck ran into the tail. If you look at the piece of metal at the top of the truck, it is pushed foward, in the direction the front of the truck is facing. Looks like the truck was just too close to the airplane when driving around the airport. I imagine no one got fired, maybe the truck driver reprimanded, if that. Accidents happen.

ahlfors

Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:16 am

Looking at the pic, it looks like the truck rammed into the back of the S80. I say this because the tail of the S80 is bent in the direction that the truck would have been moving in. I don't think it would have bent in that way if it had been a head on collision.

OPNLguy

Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:31 am

Long, long, long ago, when I was at Dobbs House catering, they trained us NEVER to park any closer to a DC-9 tailcone than the footprint of the horizontal stabilizer. Not only would this keep you away from the tailcone, but it would also prevent the horizontal stabilizer from hitting the top of the catering truck should the aircraft tip over on its tail during loading or unloading. I'm not aware of any DC-9 that ever actually did that, but keeping the truck that far back would have covered both possibilities.

We also had a policy at Dobbs that one couldn't "back-up" towards any aircraft. Seems someone at Dobbs in ATL did that to a Delta DC-9, hit the engine and thrust reverser, and did $55,000 worth of damage (this was back in the 1970s, so you can imagine that in today's dollars).

Wonder if AA made any policy changes after this one.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

azo

Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:40 am

What is the 'footprint' of the horizontal stabilizer? Is that fancy talk for the shadow or am I missing something?
Kalamazoozoozoozoozoozoozoo

OPNLguy

Tue Oct 15, 2002 11:47 am

The shadow changes position, depending upon time of day, aircraft position relative to the sun, different gates, etc. That's why they called it (generically) the footprint, as in phyiscally underneath the aircraft. Just what I recall from the training...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.