FLY777UAL
Topic Author

West Coast (US) Airlines

Wed Oct 27, 1999 12:33 pm

Can the US West Coast handle the introduction of another airline? How do you think newcomer AA will do in the battle against Shuttle, Alaska, and Southwest?

Comments...

FLY777UAL

RE: West Coast (US) Airlines

Wed Oct 27, 1999 1:00 pm

At the time, AA is not really another west coast airline. One of the main reasons that American bought Reno rather than expanding from within was to enable them to build a west coast presence without adding superfluous capacity in the region. Reno did alright, so I would expect that American should do well with the operation also. As they grow in the west, however, it will be a case of adding to an already crowded marketplace. I think that American learned their lesson during the AirCal takeover, and that they will think long and hard before adding capacity to this highly competitive environment. To be honest, I'm not sure how well AA will do on intra-California and CA-NV flights, only because they are by no means a low-cost carrier like WN or United Shuttle, so they can't as easily compete at the low prices that are found out west (WN for example often offers fares of $39 anywhere in CA). However, I think that their newfound west coast network will do a good job of feeding passengers to their strong transcon network, allowing passengers from throughout the west to take advantage of the Flagship Service flights that operate transcon.

Wed Oct 27, 1999 1:00 pm

Even with the take over of Reno, I don't believe AA is really a solid competitor on the west coast. If I want to fly from ONT to LAS, SFO, SJC, PDX, SEA, etc, taking AA would be an out of the way trip. SWA, United and Alaska are the better choices. United is huge on the west coast also. They offer several non stop flights in and out of LAX, ONT, BUR, and SFO.

NAL757

Cody

Cody's Prediction

Wed Oct 27, 1999 1:08 pm

Shuttle will one day disappear into United mainline and United will recede somewhat on the west coast and concentrate solely on LAX and SFO. Alaska and Southwest will stay the same and American will close their operations at Reno, Las Vegas and most of San Jose. It will be an AirCal re-run. History usually repeats itself especially in the airline industry.

RE: Cody's Prediction

Wed Oct 27, 1999 1:17 pm

Cody-

I agree with you on AA. However, United is so dug in on the west coast right now that I don't see them pulling out. I tried to fly LAX-SFO on vouchers one time, and ended up having to pay for a seat because I was 77th on the stand by list, and I signed in 1.5 hours early! I don't see it happening, but we'll see.

NAL757

SEA nw DC10

Wed Oct 27, 1999 1:34 pm

I am flying on AA to SEA from SJC, and happy now that Reno is gone, and I can fly on the bigger carrier like AA for cheap. Who wants to fly SWA? AA is a great airline, adn I can see them doing well on the west coast, and as far as pulling out of SJC? Not a chance.