Why Do Planes Stall?

Wed Oct 27, 1999 9:29 pm

I have noticed that several flights I have had (especially from SEA for some reason) that when we are beginning to back away from the terminal suddenly everything goes dead, lights, air, everything, then they pop back on and then you will get to feel all comfortable and boom it happens again and sometimes again when you are taxiing.

It seems like everything stops and the sound of sudden silence just destroys any peace in the cabin and people start going Oh no. I HATE that. Is it just a switch of power or something that shouldnt be?

Thanks

AC_A340

RE: Why Do Planes Stall?

Wed Oct 27, 1999 9:56 pm

Because they plane uses something called bleed air from the enginges to power all of this. And at the gate itis hooked up to the terminal. On pushback there disconnected, hence the power. The need the power to start the enginges so thats another answer. I'm not sure about taxining though, anyone?

Daniel

Wed Oct 27, 1999 10:33 pm

I dont think that the bleed air from the engines has anything to do with the electrical power on the aircraft.

JETPILOT

Wed Oct 27, 1999 11:47 pm

When switching from an external power source to ships power, such as from APU power, the relays that allow engine generators to come on line need to sense a loss of external power before closing. Hence the loss of lighting.

An APU even though it is inside the plane is treated as an external power source by the aircrafts electrical system.

On pushbackbefore starting engines you will also notice your eyeball sockets providing air conditioning aren't working. The bleed air from the APU is being used for engine start, and the AC packs have been turned off.

JETPILOT

Wed Oct 27, 1999 11:48 pm

When switching from an external power source to ships power, such as from APU power, the relays that allow engine generators to come on line need to sense a loss of external power before closing. Hence the loss of lighting.

An APU even though it is inside the plane is treated as an external power source by the aircrafts electrical system.

On push back before starting engines you will also notice your eyeball sockets providing air conditioning aren't working. The bleed air from the APU is being used for engine start, and the AC packs have been turned off.

Thu Oct 28, 1999 12:16 am

Thanks for the info.

I wasnt scared, but I do feel better.

Perhaps its bad timing when they switch power but my USAirways 757 had the video monitors pop off then on then off then on again during instructions.

Since it was the switch over like you said-perhaps USAirways should wait until disconnected to start their video since the site of a half a dozen monitors going dead doesnt exactly improve ones first impression of a flight!  

US521

Thu Oct 28, 1999 9:32 am

No LIft!!!!!!!!!
US521

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos